THR A Matching Pair of Hips! RTHR

Mind over matter... I'm noticing that I'm more nervous and prone to be a little overprotective of hip #2. An example, I had to navigate my patio decking steps yesterday to rescue my dog stuck on a table (don't ask... silly dog). In my mind, it was a very big ask. The reality, I navigated it as safely and easily as I did prior to surgery when I was also on two crutches. I had no choice with hip #1 because my other leg had a flare up and couldn't take weight, hip #1 had to step in and help. I'm going to try and address this tendency to be a little over cautious by attempting a few more things. Albeit with care and attention. I decided to dismantle my nest and am tackling little trips out to the garden. It's a little uneven but with care and caution, can be safely navigated. You'd think this being my second hip in such a short time, I'd have more confidence but that doesn't seem to be the case.
 
Deni ,
I’m over 3 years into recovery & I'm still extremely cautious and aware of my surroundings at all times. My grandson plays hockey & I don’t know why parents that bring their young kids to the games just turn them loose & let them run around like crazy but they do. I’m so aware of 2-3 kids running full tilt in a small aisle. Take but a second to get knocked over!
So I do understand your caution with getting your dog rescued.
I still have a very active lifestyle but I recognize obvious dangers & just don’t take the risk.
Nothing wrong with challenging your new hips but no bungy jumping, ok? :loll:
 
I'm giggling @myglasshalffull because I know exactly what you mean! My excited granddaughter is like a whirlwind, factor in the nutty dog it's like, 'It's a Knockout' (old UK gameshow). I'm getting bubble wrap for their upcoming visit :rotfl:
 
Transitioning to one crutch... I'm now able to walk a few steps comfortably using one crutch. I tested my activator poles but although I could walk with them, they didn't offer enough support. An improvement over a couple of days ago when I couldn't walk with them at all. I'll be testing out my traditional walking sticks today. I'm 4 weeks post op as of today.
 
Happy to hear that you are able to transition to one crutch, with more healing you will be ready for your activator poles.
 
Transitioning to one crutch... I'm now able to walk a few steps comfortably using one crutch. I tested my activator poles but although I could walk with them, they didn't offer enough support. An improvement over a couple of days ago when I couldn't walk with them at all. I'll be testing out my traditional walking sticks today. I'm 4 weeks post op as of today.
Well done you and congratulations on your four week milestone! :yay:
 
Seeking a bit of reassurance... I'm maybe, understandably a little cautious/paranoid regarding my wound, considering my experience. I honestly can't remember what my other hip felt like at a month, post surgery. It still feels a little sore at times and can suddenly feel quite itchy. I'll probably ask the hospital but in the meantime, I was wondering what other people experienced regarding wound sensitivity/symptoms at 4 weeks?
 
My incision was very itchy. I think it’s part of the healing process & sensitive to the touch. And took me forever to sleep on the side again.
 
Thank you @myglasshalffull :loveshwr: That's what I thought... itching is normal and it's a deep wound. Also all that scraping! It looks perfectly fine.
 
Mine still gets itchy occasionally at 3.5 months. I also didn't really remember what it was like for the other hip, but even visually, I can tell that this wound/scar is still healing.
 
Thanks for the reassurance @scorow :wave:
I've realised that at 6 months my left hip scar is still a little tender if poked. Not surprising righty is still tender at just a month, especially if I get a bit of activity related swelling... I think I was definitely over thinking it :what:
 
Remember that little sensory nerves are coming back "online" and can glitch, creating dyseshesias like itching, burning, wetness, sensitivity to pressure or friction, etc.
 
Thank you @mendogal You pretty much just listed everything I've been feeling off and on. I'm thankful for the reminder!
 
Walking Milestone... I'm so pleased to have experienced a 30 minute walk along the coast road from my house yesterday afternoon. It's pretty significant because since hip #1 in March, every attempt I have made at a similar length walk subsequently resulted in a trip to the ODIC (either hip or knee relapse) and I was unable to repeat the walk. Yesterday, I experienced a mild increase in swelling after the walk but it responded well to ice. This morning, I was able to get around the kitchen on one crutch and wash the pots and do some cleaning. To be honest, it feels a little surreal after all this time to imagine, I may actually be heading towards a future where walking is a normal part of life again.

1000001229.webp
 
Oh my…what a milestone you’ve accomplished! And I’m so glad you recorded it with this photo. It’s such a peaceful scene. No wonder you were eager to get back to this walk again. It sounds like you really are turning a corner.
 
Congratulations on the milestone, @Deni444!

I'm so envious of the beautiful place you have to walk. :wink:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom