Guest viewing is limited

THR A Matching Pair of Hips! RTHR

Hi @Deni444 It's just penetrated my foggy brain that our operations were on the same day in August. :umm:
How are you doing now that you have completed five weeks? I'm so envious of your walk and have no idea when or even if I will be able to achieve that. The extent of my walking with Big Boot has been a total of about 100 to 200 yards with crutch getting to and from the cafe at a local garden centre!

Ankle recovery is very different from hip, getting up and out of bed or chair has been easy because hips are working well (although beginning to protest at all the sitting and inactivity). Stairs and even general walking are tricky with the rocker sole on the boot. Pain has subsided to bruised type ache and the wounds have healed well with only a few scabs remaining - but they and the whole leg do itch and tingle at times.

The main concern for me is ithe profound ankle stiffness so the hard work will start with essential physiotherapy next week, assuming the boot comes off this Thursday as predicted.

Best wishes.
 
Hi there @Newhip_Pol :wave:

I remember my time with Big boots and it was no fun (bilateral bunion). I hope you get to take it off on Thursday as it will definitely make things easier, although I do remember feeling quite vulnerable for a little while without them.

I'm a lot better than I was with hip #1 at five weeks. I'm on one crutch around the house but using two on my walks. I am trying to take things slowly to avoid ODIC but just got back from a half mile up the road and that was lovely and at a nice pace. I think I'm ready to extend the distance a little further. I tried out my Activator Poles today and can now walk with them and so am going to start transitioning to them for outside walking. Still getting swelling off and on and need a few paracetamol a day but it's getting better and I'm down to a single anti-inflammatory tablet.

Again, all the best for Thursday!
 
No physio required... I've been busy enjoying my new hips! I've just passed my six week anniversary and have made huge leaps forward. I had a physio appointment today where I passed every test with flying colours and we agreed I didn't actually need any physio. That's pretty remarkable when I consider my mobility prior to surgery. I've transitioned to a single walking stick but can actually manage, albeit with a limp without it. I'm using my crutches for my half mile walk to help rehabilitate my posture and to help out if I get tired on my return journey. My right knee comes up higher than it has to for years and I'm gradually learning to do things again. It's slow going after so long but getting better daily. I can't wait to see what next week brings! I still get swelling but nothing a sit down with my feet up doesn't cure.
 
This is GREAT news, @Deni444. I can hear the joy in your post. Rock on!!!
 
:yes!: the kind of post we love to read!!!! Keep on this path and keep us updated on milestones!
 
So happy to read this, @Deni444! You are such trooper; I know you will continue to improve.
 
All good news! What a journey from where you started to where you are now. And you have taken the time to educate yourself & listen to your body’s cues.
You are an inspiration to all who come here looking for support.
 
Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement :loveshwr:

Another milestone today! A 15 minute walk using my activator poles. My right leg is fast becoming better than my left leg in many respects but I'm now concentrating on both legs in an attempt to improve the left side flexibility. The hip flexors on the left are pretty stiff but the physio said from over stress and work carrying the right all this time. My right problematic knee is much improved since surgery but the related soft tissue is still weak and it does swell up. It's the first thing to complain on a walk but so far it does seem to recover despite a bit of swelling. The physio thinks the knee swelling will probably resolve over time as the hip continues to heal. It may benefit from a heal lift on the opposite side. I still have a small leg length discrepancy with the right longer but it's much improved. I hardly notice it.
 
Congrats on the 15-minute walk on your two new hips. Sounds like you are doing really well.

The hip flexors on the left are pretty stiff but the physio said from over stress and work carrying the right all this time.
Hip flexor stiffness/tightness is really common during THR recovery. Those muscles just need time to adapt to the demands being put on them.

I still have a small leg length discrepancy with the right longer but it's much improved.
You are still early enough in recovery that it may disappear as the hip and leg muscles normalize. I'm almost to 4 months post-op and my LLD is no longer noticeable at all.

Best!
 
@Deni444
How are you doing after 3 months? I hope you are continuing to heal and start getting back to your life.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Chris
 
Hello Everyone :loveshwr: Absent without leave, so sorry. The great news is that my life came back like a celebration firework going off. I've been excitedly enjoying it, I didn't intend to go missing... I've had family visits, a surprise holiday to Scotland to celebrate new hips, walks and just enjoying being able to do all the things that felt like walking up hill in treacle prior to my two surgeries. It's like I got a bonus 'head' replacement :heehee:. Suddenly no pain, like getting rid of tinnitus!

I'm walking around the house mostly without a walking stick. Using my walking poles for outside walks. I get a bit of swelling but nothing a little sit down doesn't cure. My flexibility is returning slowly, I can just about hook my pants on without a grabber. I had to suddenly stop anti-inflammatory meds because of side effects to the accompanying stomach tablets. I'm doing fine though. I take paracetamol at bedtime.

I'll come back and catch up properly tomorrow xxx
 
I was just thinking of you this morning and wondered how you were doing. I’m so glad you’re starting to get your life back and then some! This is great news. No worries about the absence….BoneSmart will be here when you’re ready to catch up with things here.
 
@Deni444 It is wonderful to hear you are doing well! It does sound like your life is going very well for you.
 
Excellent :wow:
 
Thanks everyone :flwrysmile: I'm coming up on my 12 week anniversary and I can honestly say that my progress has exceeded all my expectations. My right leg is actually a bit better than my left as I think the left suffered a bit having to do all the work for so long. My left leg is stiffer and less flexible but otherwise pain free. Each hip seems to react identically if I overdo it and I get matching swelling on both sides. The trigger, usually a bit too much bending or prolonged sitting.

As time has progressed, I noticed my leg length discrepancy a bit more and the physio suggested my right knee would appreciate a heel lift. My right knee has certainly improved since using the lift and is gradually getting stronger and more stable as a consequence of more walking. It still swells up but the physio thinks it will resolve over time as my hip fully heals.

I try to keep up my basic simple post surgery physio (knee lifts, hamstring curls, side leg lifts). Other than that just regular walking and generally being active on my feet seems to be the key for me. Walking without any aids feels amazing, I didn't expect to ever improve that much!

I must be an example of, never give up hope :wave:
 
Back
Top Bottom