TKR A Lefty for kneeper

:yay: good work @kneeper - that is a true milestone. I have forgotten my cane at the bank twice. I don't use it at home at all but keep it with me when I go out.

Please continue to share all of your milestones. It is great for everyone to see how you are progressing.

Enjoy your day!
 
I lost mine 2 nights ago also! A magical feeling of hope...
 
Sending happy thoughts that all go well keep us posted looking forward to hearing all your great progress


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, they worked on my scar a bit yesterday in PT (deep massage kind of stuff), put me on the exercise bike for rocking back & forth and had me do a new stretch.

PT assistant didn't quite threaten MUA but did tell me of the 90 degree "goal" for 6 weeks. I "feel" like the knee is bending smoother within the range I've got at least, but I'm still in the 70s. :( :bored:

PT didn't feel intense at the time, but I also made a stop at the pharmacy which required a little bit of walking and boy was I tuckered out later. :zzz: Kind of tired today but I'm sure the cloudy and cool weather is setting me up for a nap. :)
 
@kneeper, you are progressing and going in the right direction. It can't be easy dealing with the RA as well. Being able to walk without any support, however short, is great news. I haven't progressed to a cane yet. My physios want me to continue to use both crutches and concentrate on my gait like you. Slowly, slowly does it, you will get there.
 
I don't believe how closely we're tracking with our post op experience! I totally love it when my PT massages my knee area, which she has done since about week 2. It seems to help with moving some of the swelling around, keeps that suture line loose plus it is very soothing to me, even when she's mashing on my still numb areas. She has to use lotion tho - she tried the non lotion or friction massage and my knee blew up like a balloon.
 
Has anyone used tubigrip or other compression type sleeves after their tkr? My pt thought it might help control my swelling. Not sure if it is yet.

The knee itself doesn't look *too* bad, but I can tell there's swelling just above it. At first I thought it was just flab--but it's not *all* flab when I compare to the other knee. :wink:
the sleeve also has an annoying tendency so far to start to roll at the top. I may need to adjust it lower on the leg.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remember what I said about closely tracking in our recovery? I used the Tubigrip and it did help. I had to buy a huge size cuz I was so swollen immediately post op. I forgot about it - I have some of the smaller sizes and it might be worth it to try now that my knee is swollen but not my entire leg. I know it can work - not related to joint replacement - my husband had a soft tissue bleed in his arm - which became so swollen his nerves were compressed and they almost had to take him to surgery. 24 hours in a Tubigrip like arm sleeve and it controlled the swelling enough that surgery was off the table. With the Tubigrip it is suppose to be doubled over, which stopped mine from rolling down. There are videos on you tube you can watch for application.
 
I *feel* like I'm doing better but I don't know how measurable that is. I feel like my bend might have improved a tiny bit but we'll see what PT says. I don't think I'm up to 90 though. :(

I can walk around a little bit without the cane--like in the kitchen going a few steps from fridge to stove, etc. but I am using my cane for walking.

A friend took me for a short grocery shopping trip yesterday and boy was I wiped out by the time we got to the checkout. I promptly iced and elevated.

I have been trying rocking on my stationary semi-recumbent exercise bike. I can't quite do a rotation yet. I did feel like I was close-- and in fact at one point my foot slipped and I thought I was going to do an MWA on myself :scaredycat:by doing a rotation before I was ready. Let's hope in the next few days I get a rotation.
 
Thanks everyone for reading. :loveshwr:I may be a "know it all" on everyone else's thread :wink: , but when it's you, you still like to have that support.
 
@kneeper
Just checking in. It seems you are doing very well, considering the Rh A factor. Hope your healing continues to progress. It will all be worth it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Keep smiling!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] A Lefty for kneeper
 
Quite a workout in PT today. I think in a good way.
I walked without the cane forward and backwards:xmark: and tried a low step leading with the operated leg--a bit scary but I did ok.

I was so close to getting a rotation on my exercise bike that I "cheated" a bit and put the seat a hair back. (not to mention the old hiking the hip up) :wink: Once I did that I managed a backward rotation!:yes!: Let's hope all this is a sign of good things to come.

Dare I hope all this activity will help me sleep tonight? :shrug:
 
Well, I think I let them have me do too much in PT yesterday. It wasn't too bad while I was doing it, but I'm paying today.

I will have to tell them I can't do as many repetitions or something tomorrow--especially as my rheumy agrees that my RA is more active right now.

The good news is with my foot just barely on the pedal (kind of toe only) I got a forward rotation today as well as backward.
I think the rest of the day will be mostly :ice:

Wish me luck getting a refill on the hydrocodone.
 
Great progress with the bike! That was a huge deal to me. Does your PT know you have RA? I was just wondering if the treatment should be modified to deal with that.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom