TKR A Lefty for kneeper

I'm so sorry I haven't popped by earlier to check in. I hope you are having a good day and glad you have a good home PT! sorry about the TEDs. I only wore mine for about 10 days. Hated them... keep up the great work and no overdoing it!
 
Staples gone! The PA had a good touch, so only a couple of the staples really stung coming out. I got the ok to give the heave ho to the TEDs! So now my only "fashion statement" is the steri-strips. :heehee:
 
Glad to hear your progress! I had a brand new nurse taking mine out and most of them stung. Ugh!
 
oooh. Mine all stung a bit, but only a couple were what I'd call "bad."
 
Hi @hopefaith--thanks for asking.
I think the pain is settling down. Definitely the angry tissue muscle pain is better. I will be experimenting with dropping down to hydrocodone instead of the oxy today--though I may still take the remaining oxy before bed for a while.

I seem to sleep just a couple of hours at a crack, but then am able to get back to sleep ok after a while. I've decided to try considering going to bed as just "naps in a series." :)
 
Glad to hear that you are on the mend @kneeper :friends:- hope the pain med changes work OK

The lack of sleep is a very tough aspect of this surgery :yawn::mcoffee::zzz: - I know what you mean be "naps in a series" - I have been this way since my accident - make the most of napping when you can :sleeep:
 
I got the ok to give the heave ho to the TEDs!
Glad you are rid of those annoying stockings :tantrum2:.
I let myself sleep or nap when ever I could. I feel my best healing occurs during naps.
:sleep:
 
Hi @kneeper, it's so nice to read you're doing okay! I'm ever so pleased for you. What a lovely moment when those wretched teds go and the staples come out. I just love how you describe your bedtime as a series of naps! What an excellent description. I hope that you continue to make this great progress until normality sets back in again, sooner rather than later. Well done with this recovery. It's heartwarming to read xxxx love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@kneeper

Glad the clips are out! Also glad that you had someone who knew how to remove them gently. (When I was a nurse, I used to love removing clips/staples. You can do it gently, if you have the knack of twisting your wrist slightly at just the right moment.)

Glad you got rid of the TEDs, too!

Good progress! :yes!::flwrysmile:

Serial naps - yes! That's a better approach than getting upset because you can't sleep for 8 straight hours. I had a cosy little den set up in the spare bedroom, with everything I needed at hand, including the TV buttons. I found that
a) there are some interesting programmes in the middle of the night,
b) without the pressure that I must sleep, I could doze off while watching those programmes - and miss them, which was OK, because they're often repeated.
 
@kneeper Hi there, just popped by to see how you're doing and you sound great. Wonderful feeling when the TEDs go.
 
Sounds like you are doing great. Staples. --ugh -- really bothered me coming out and I took a pain pill. Keep up the great work!
 
Well, I'm trying the hydrocodone. After a probably not coincidental bout with killer heartburn yesterday, I'm making sure to take them with a fairly substantial snack. They seem to be working ok, if not quite as good as the oxy.
PT tried me on the cane--I'm not quite ready yet, but the short walk we tried was encouraging.

Thanks everyone for checking in with me.
Well, I think my knee is telling me it's time for a snooze. And the knee *is* the boss. :bow:
 
I actually slept pretty well last night--much less intermittently--and with no pain meds overnight.
I really am looking forward to being able to sleep on my side.

Bend feels slow to come, but it does improve a little bit at a time. I tell myself "work smart, not hard."
 
You are doing wonderfully! I still remember the first night I could lay on my side! Felt so good, even for just 90 minutes! Prayers for a continued mercy filled recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
My latest update (if nothing else just for my own record):

Went along on a brief errand this weekend just for the car ride. It felt good to get out and about and I definitely got in and out of the car more easily than when I went to get the staples out a few days ago.

I've been sitting up in the recliner a lot more but after a couple of hours that gets uncomfortable & I feel the need to stretch out and ice. I do get up an walk for maybe a minute every hour or so to loosen up.

I seem to be in a pattern of at least one actual nap:sleep: and generally have a couple of dozes. I'm much less :zzz:with the hydrocodone than with the oxy. I'm able to do 2 tablets 4-5 hours apart.

In general I feel like this recovery is smoother than the last knee. I wonder if it's anything to do with how "angry" the right knee was versus a damaged but relatively"calm" knee this time due to the inflammation being less this time.:scratch:

My walking feels like it's going well but I'm still at only 77 in the cpm. :sad: Good news is extension in the cpm is -3. I'm wondering if the fact that I may have had a more extensive synovectomy due to the RA than strictly OA people has anything to do with more of a struggle getting bend? I was a turtle last time too. @Josephine @Orthodoc

As ever it's the daily quizzing of The Knee--am I working hard enough? Resting and icing enough?:good-bad:
I'm able to heat up leftovers and the like and put dishes in the dishwasher. My sister came to do my laundry and I helped with the folding and putting away. The last few days I've been able to walk a couple of trips back and forth on the driveway. I do about 4 exercises (10 reps) 2 times a day as instructed by my PT.

I have some tightness/pain in the upper thigh right near the hip area that I noticed particularly sitting in the car when I tried to move my leg. I imagine that will take some time and stretching to deal with. but the overall muscle pain has definitely improved. Tissues are less:tantrum:

Something that I'm not sure is related to the surgery is that my left foot hurts/is sore generally when I walk. It doesn't feel like PF pain though I have a twinge of that now and then.
I noticed the foot pain in the hospital. They had these inflato booties that pumped a gush of air every little while. It actually *hurt* :xmark: on my left foot. Kind of like when someone gives you a really hard handshake and you feel like they're crushing your hand. It may be related to the RA. I'll have to ask the rheumy in a couple of weeks at my appointment.

Whew, that was quite windy! Catch you later...
 
Kneeper, much as I'd love to comment, my knowledge of RA is woefully limited.
Perhaps Orthodoc will have something to offer.
 
Back
Top Bottom