TKR A Lefty for kneeper

Whining among friends is totally acceptable! I wish the methotrexate had worked for my husband. I hear it has the least side effects. This other medicine is providing much needed relief though. My husband says at least your knee joints shouldn't inflame once the surgery heals! I'm a big fan of naps. . Good for you! It is nice to be out and about again, isn't it? You seem to be recovering quite well and I am very happy for you. Keep me in mind. 24 days until my next one.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Hi @ kneeper.
-probably from them pushing me too hard with things like squats last time
The first day I had to stop the PT at the physical therapy facility I was going to. The therapist grabbed my leg and stretched it into the air. I think I caught a cramp and I screamed so loud that she finally had to lower my leg. After that I explained to he again that I have RA and some days I hurt from that and I am moving slow and some days I feel okay. So I would let her know what kind of day I was having each time I came so she would know how to
maneuver me and how much I could be pushed. You have to let them know especially when you have other issues going on . Even though they are made aware of this with the first intake.

I read somewhere where someone had written that you cannot get swolleness in the affected knee. But my knee goes up and down with swelling even at this stage of the game. My knee has been tingling since yesterday and I have the tens machine on. Hope you are feeling better. It takes a longer time to regroup when you have RA and TKR. Thank goodness @kneeper you can keep the RA at bay with the DMards. I have tried just about every biologic in the book and they have all stopped working for me. I will soon start Xeljanx to see if that helps me. The Rituxan $$10, 0000.00 dollars a pop did not help me. My prayers and thoughts are with you . You were very helpful to me during my recovery and I always appreciated your kind words and ways.:tada:
 
Also @kneeper, I took naps about every day. That helps with the healing process a great deal. You just nap away.
 
All the hoisting myself out of chairs is doing a number on my shoulder (& wrist).

There are times when the sharp pain in my right shoulder and left wrist are more bothersome than the stiff achiness of my knees. My OS said that my shoulder would feel better once I gave up the walker. Interesting. Both shoulder and wrist were bothering me pre-op - the shoulder when I lie on my right side in bed with my head on my outstretched right arm. My left wrist bothers me only when I move it in certain positions - can't replicate it and it always catches me by surprise. Fortunately, neither bothers me when I use my walker or canes.

I hope your own shoulder and wrist are feeling better, and I'm glad to hear about your progress and that small improvements are happening for you. Naps are great! My own early days post-op were a series of TV, dozing, reading, dozing, ... dozing ... dozing. I was happy for the rest, even though I usually couldn't get back to sleep in the very early morning hours. Keep on taking good care of yourself!
 
Also @kneeper, I took naps about every day. That helps with the healing process a great deal. You just nap away.
You don't have to tell me twice!:heehee: Even without the surgery I get so fatigued that I often doze off for a while when I get home from work. I also find if I don't get enough sleep I tend to get sick, so I'm a big believer in listening to your body when it comes to sleep. Sometimes even lying down for a while even if you don't actually sleep helps.
 
@chestnc , yes I have been lucky with the methotrexate. I had a couple that stopped working, didn't work or had bad side effects but other than feeling a bit tired & blah the next day, I tolerate it well.
I hope the xeljanz works for you.
 
There are times when the sharp pain in my right shoulder and left wrist are more bothersome than the stiff achiness of my knees. My OS said that my shoulder would feel better once I gave up the walker. Interesting. Both shoulder and wrist were bothering me pre-op - the shoulder when I lie on my right side in bed with my head on my outstretched right arm. My left wrist bothers me only when I move it in certain positions - can't replicate it and it always catches me by surprise. Fortunately, neither bothers me when I use my walker or canes.

I'm sure some things will get better now that I'm off the walker--such as wrists and hands. I don't see any inflammation in the hands but they are awfully stiff. i'm using the walker when I first get out of bed when my whole body is stiff but otherwise the cane is good.

I can even take a few steps without anything--but I'm not pushing it. :bicycle2:

Yes, lying on my shoulder is definitely a problem. My doc thinks there's an impingement of the rotator cuff.

I'm glad the walker & cane don't cause you extra problems. I think some of this stuff is a bit of a mystery. You can get a bad day for no apparent reason sometimes.:shrug:
 
Hi @kneeper I just popped in to see how you were getting on. You sound like you're doing sooooo well. I'm very pleased for you. Keep it up! Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi @kneeper, just wanted to say a quick hello and see how you are doing. Sorry that you are having shoulder trouble but it seems like your knee is doing okay.

Hope you have a great week!
 
I had my first outpatient PT this AM. I like the therapist. She seems to be somewhat on the same page as Bonesmart.
Even though I don't think my knee looks super swollen, she puts a high priority on getting the swelling down & is a big advocate of icing and elevating the BS way.

She only got a little over 70 :( on the bend but the extension was excellent--she didn't measure but said it looked almost perfectly straight. She gave me some new exercises and tips to work on for the bend. She didn't throw around any MUA threats and was pleased with some things I am doing already to work on bend.

I have been trying to experiment a little with decreasing the pain meds.
However, 2 hydrocodone/apap (5/325) every 5 hours instead of 4 hours seems to be pushing it a little at this point though, particularly as I'm more active. The pain starts to get a little bit of a hold if I go 5 hours. So I think I'll stick with the 4 hours for a few more days before I try to extend again. I do have one refill left.

Mainly I'd like to be reducing meds so I can drive. Luckily I do have people who are willing to step up and drive me to appointments:bow:, but we all like to be independent and not ask favors, don't we? :wink: I will have to try to be patient. (How many times have I told others that? :heehee:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kneeper,
Great report, glad to hear the PT is gentle. Your flexion ROM will come as the swelling goes down, you already have your extension.
I tried the same experiment with decreasing pain meds, ended up with a miserable Saturday :boohoo:, and playing catch up all day Sunday :elevate: .
Patience, Patience!
 
Sounds like you are making good progress. You know what recovery can be like, a real roller coaster, since you've been through this before!
 
@kneeper Congratulations on your progress! Great news that you have a good PT therapist. It does make a difference.

It is tough to experiment with reducing meds. I find I have been doing it naturally. I tend to sleep through the one I used to wake up for in the middle of the night and I have not had to take one then for a couple of weeks if not more. I also find I generally don't need one when I first wake. I needed one this morning but that is because I overdid it yesterday. When I was first taking the meds, I was watching the clock and praying that 4 hours would go by so I could take my next dose. I now go between 6 and 8 hours between dosages. I would work harder at it if I was not going for my next surgery on Thursday but I want to make sure I am pain free before then.

Hope things continue to go well with your recovery!
 
Nice update! Decreasing pain meds has been a real **** shoot for me - I was desperate to get off the narcotics but my knee was the boss - and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it and remain true to the BoneSmart approach - which I was loath to screw around with as it held true for my BTHR 20 months ago and so far my knee. I haven't driven yet, but I'm trying to figure out a schedule where I do all my driving in the morning or early afternoon as that is when my pain (stiffness) is at its lowest. Anything after 3pm will be a problem. I'm not taking much, but when I need them, I need them!
 
Thanks for checking in @71Beetle & @dtmbf . I haven't needed to take pain meds overnight for a while but I do first thing in the morning--though part of the pain & stiffness is the RA.
 
Kneeper,
Great report, glad to hear the PT is gentle. Your flexion ROM will come as the swelling goes down, you already have your extension.
I tried the same experiment with decreasing pain meds, ended up with a miserable Saturday :boohoo:, and playing catch up all day Sunday :elevate: .
Patience, Patience!
Yes, people tell me that extension is usually harder to get so I am pleased that I have that in good shape. It's almost like since I'm making good progress with the walking etc (when the blasted foot isn't acting up :skep:) that I want *more* & *faster* :running:progress even though I know better. :no-fin:
I need to remember I was a bit turtle-like last time :bored:and still got an acceptable bend. It *will* come.
 
Milestone moment: I started walking into the other room forgetting to grab my cane.
(I can walk a little bit without it but am still using it for stability and gait.)
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom