TKR A Lefty for kneeper

@kneeper

Congratulations on your a Five Month Report. Good to see the progress from your four month report.
Feeling"normal" is a great goal and feeling.

Continue the great progress :happydance:

Cathie
 
Well, I did break down and call the rheumy about my shoulder after a week or so of pain day and night at around 5-6 pain level. The good news is I got it injected and it's calmed down.

On a better note, I can say I am barely paying attention to my new knee. I get a few twinges here and there, but basically it's the least of my concerns on a daily basis. That is such a wonderful change!
So if you're in those dark early days thinking "why did I do this?" This is why. :)
 
@kneeper

So very glad that you are "shinning" in the light at the end of the tunnel ! :SUNsmile:

And that you have relief from your shoulder pain.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
I did my first pre-Thanksgiving shopping trip at the "giant" grocery store in town this week. Before the surgery trying to shop there I was clutching the cart (wouldn't that make a great smilie for us) and in agony by the time I got to the checkout. so I wound up going to the smaller (more expensive ) store.
This was my biggest trip and though the knee was a little achy by the time I was done (the knee also may not be a fan of this cold weather), I really did pretty well.
I still need to get the turkey and a few odds and ends. I am definitely feeling thankful this year. If the weather cooperates, I might even manage a post dinner :walking: instead of :dead:
 
@kneeper

Great to hear about your Giant Grocery store shopping - that's progress :yay:
You must be in a snow free part of the US, to be able to get out.

It's looks very cold and wintery in some parts over there.
We're having rain, rain, rain and then some more rain every day, but it isn't cold - just wet.

We don't have Thanksgiving in Ireland, so wishing you and your family a Very Happy Thanksgiving !

The post dinner walk sounds like a good goal :walking:

Take care,
Cathie
 
Thanks @marmora We are in a pocket even within our state that has only gotten 1 inch so far. After January like weather in the 10s, it feels positively balmy at 30F today. :heehee: This will be a long winter. :(
we're expected to get more snow/freezing rain tomorrow. I will be hunkered down at home catching up on grading papers.
 
Well I hosted Thanksgiving this year. A small group but still turkey & etc. This is something I wouldn't have considered doing a few years ago because of the knees. I did a couple of things the day before to make it easier but there was still a lot on the day to do. I was wiped out--but the new knees held out really well. :yes!:
 
Kneeper's "Christmas miracle report" :heehee:
I am very pleased to report that I was able to Christmas shop this week for two hours with no ill effects. The new knee felt maybe a bit tired but no pain or stiffness. This is the first time in memory that I've been able to Christmas shop and not have to hobble to the car and collapse in pain when I got home.

Also: I had only about 105-110 bend before the surgery. I had not had more than this in many years.
When I left PT I think I was close to 110. I haven't been measured since, but since I've been noticing that I can do things like squat lower to pick things up off the floor etc, I think I must have gained a few degrees.:reindeer:
 
Great report Kneeper!
Being able to do more is a whole lot better than just having ROM.
Have a wonderful Christmas!
 
Great to hear that you're making progress. Thanks for posting the update!!
 
Well, 7 months tomorrow. My knees feel the best they have in many years. the new knee sometimes feels a little achy (maybe a bit weather dependent) but mostly really good. I can tell my quad is getting stronger with daily activity and a little bit of exercising. I'm mostly doing a little treadmill and exercise biking :upright:a couple of days a week. Somewhat limited some days depending on the ankle and other RA related issues.

I still find my scar is a little sensitive to the touch (like when I rub lotion on my leg)--which I didn't notice this far out with the first knee, but not enough to be a problem--just kind of odd. But it's slowly going away.

I feel like I have more hope of losing weight now that I can exercise. :walking:All I have to do is control my sweet tooth & watch the winter "comfort food." :heehee: Should be easier as we get past the holidays.
 
@kneeper Oh, you give me such hope for my situation!! I am 10 days away from 7 months and my knee feels like you describe yours!! I will have #2 done this summer and am hoping to get back to my active self!!

I worry sometimes that I won't get 'better', but you are helping me stay positive!!
 
A question for @Orthodoc

We sometimes talk about how long to wait to do the tkr and is there such a thing as "waiting too long."

1. I know from my own experience with knee #1 that if you wait until you're barely hobbling, your muscle tone goes downhill. With knee #2 my muscles were better and my recovery was better. Would that be what they talk about as far as "waiting too long?"

2. Could walking around with a meniscus tear and unstable knee for months lead to quad tendonitis? I'm wondering if my chronic quad tendonitis in knee #1 might have partly to do with doing that as much as my tkr recovery, pt etc. I don't remember any particular quad pain before the tkr, but the whole knee area was so bad it might have blended in to the overall agony. ;)
Not only is this my personal curiosity, but I wonder if that could be a case as well for not waiting too long.

any thoughts would be appreciated.
 
Hi @kneeper, just stopping in to see how you are doing. Great update report. Sounds like you are getting along well. Good question for the orthodoc. Will be interesting to see what the answer is.
 
This is an interesting and complicated question.

Typically, we do not recommend knee replacement surgery in patients unless they are significantly symptomatic and have failed multiple conservative measures. If someone fails these measures, but has severe arthritis with only minor deformity, then they might still be a candidate for surgery.

Another scenario is a patient who is relatively well controlled as far as symptoms go, but has significant contractures or deformity. That patient is the one who might "wait too long." If the deformity gets worse, the surgery becomes technically more difficult to perform and potentially has a chance for a poorer outcome. Additionally, as the arthritis progresses, the ROM of the knee worsens. We have discussed many times here that a patient's pre-op ROM is the best predictor of post-op ROM.

This particular patient may consider surgery before it "gets too bad." Additionally, there are patients who want to have surgery before they get "too old and have more medical problems." The counseling for these patients can be hard at times.

When I counsel these patients, I am always aware to make the following point: Not every patient has an excellent outcome from surgery. I explain that they might be in that small percentage of patients. If they were, they would be upset that they had proceeded with surgery and feel worse than they did before the operation. This can be a catch-22 so to speak.

The decision to move forward with surgery is such an individual process that there is no algorithm that fits everyone.

Orthodoc
 
8 month report. Honestly the last thing on my mind is my new knee. I can get a little stiffness if I sit too long but it goes away after a few steps. I'm able to do my daily activities and do some exercise without the knee complaining. All my other joints are a different story. And I do have to make time to actually exercise. I too often let work demands and inertia win out on that front.:heehee: This summer will certainly be a lot more fun than the last! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom