Guest viewing is limited

TKR A Lefty for kneeper

I'm trying to do a little bit of exercise a couple of times a week to try to get back in the habit. I don't do more than about 20 minutes at a time and listen to the knee. I did do a bit more in the pool one day, water walking and a little swimming b/c it felt good to be in the water. I probably did a little too much in the pool, but not quite ODIC level. :heehee:
The knee's not there yet, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic.
I'm also being pretty careful to get enough sleep even if it means I go to bed pretty early. I know when I get tired I'm likely to get sick so I watch out for that ordinarily--even more so with the post op energy drain.
 
Good for you @kneeper! My two week inkneetiation at school is up, so I will be starting my exercises back up too. I hope I can listen to my knee as well as you seem to be doing! I'm the same when it comes to sleep and sickness, so I'm very grateful that I'm starting to sleep a little better than before!
 
@msmechanic58 @marmora @kneeper @H2OPoloMom I know several educators who have had knee or hip replacements. Some are ex-athletes and coaches, but just as many are not. I think -and have no data to prove it - that we spend a lot of time on our feet, on hard surfaces AND we don't always keep up our muscle tone.

What we do is tiring and at times verges on numbing. It is very difficult to maintain regular physical activity when the day begins at 5:00 AM and doesn't end until close to 4:00 pm. We drink too much coffee and bolt our lunches. When my day is done all I want to do is veg silently and try to recharge enough to fix dinner! And funny enough, I know that you know what I mean!!

@Ollie - I thought you said that you kept a few of your meds to give the little darlings! I had to read it again.

:rotfl: There have been times. . .
 
Hi @kneeper, just dropping by your thread to see how you are doing and to say hello. I hope all is well with you. I also know how difficult it can be to have pain elsewhere and to try to keep that knee moving as well... A couple times a week I say is darn good if that is what you can manage. Keep up the good work and happy healing and recovery to you. :egypdance::egypdance:
 
Thanks @chestnc I hope you will be able to go back on your meds soon & get those pain levels under control. :console2:

I've been lucky that methotrexate works pretty well for me. My knees have always been my worst problem, so I'm hoping that with bionic :wink: ones now, I will be able to be more active. I've got some issues with ankles and a pretty damaged shoulder, not to mention tendonitis so I do have limitations. But I am trying to work around those.

And I know you understand the energy level problem. Even at the best of times with the JRA ( always a bit strange to say you have juvenile arthritis when you're now middle aged) and fibro my energy level stinks. It's hard to explain to people who don't have it that you could take a nap at any given time of the day.:zzz: Even more so the day after mtx.:dead:
 
Bad knees, tendonitis, & shoulder problems? Are you talking about me @kneeper? Between tennis and teaching, I think I've wrecked my body. It seems to be constantly healing and that definitely zaps the energy levels even without fibromyalgia. I can only imagine how much worse your energy drain is... And yet, you continue to LIVE LIFE and work around it. You should pat yourself on the back everyday! :friends:
 
I was able to go for a massage the other day and had her work on my tkr leg. I think it helped loosen up that back of the knee tightness. fingers crossed.
 
Massage has helped me a lot - 1st with the swelling, and now with the tight feeling. It just seems to loosen things up - and even if it's all in my head I don't care - I feel better!
 
Well the tightness/pain at the back/outside of my knee hasn't gone away but might be slightly better. I really only feel it going upstairs. I wonder if it's related to a tendon?
 
Yeah, I had something like this with the last knee. I don't remember how long it lasted, but it did eventually go away. I do have chronically tight muscles anyway, so I've probably got some tightness that needs to work itself out. I will try to be more diligent about icing and stretching.
 
Another milestone toward normality. I cut the grass today and managed it in one go. It got a bit sore and I did ice, but all in all a definite improvement from last week.

Unfortunately my shoulder is killing me today (before the grass cutting). I must have slept on that side a lot last night or something which aggravates the arthritis/rotator cuff problem. :groan:
 
Kneeper,
Glad to hear you were able to mow the lawn all at once! I hope your shoulder starts to feel better soon, seems we get one thing figured out, and another part falls apart. Oh, Well!
 
I mowed this weekend too! It was my first shot at it, so I only did the front and then the edges of the back and sides. I had my daughter finish the rest after teaching her how to start the mower, check the gas and oil...Yeah you for doing the whole yard @kneeper!
 
Thanks--I started out doing it in pieces but was ready to try the whole thing this week. Yeah you for doing your first bit! Who knew we'd be happy to be cutting grass.
Of course that's better than what's to come :snow plough:
 
Hello @kneeper

Congratulations on mowing your lawn ! :yay:

It is the little milestones that we all come to appreciate post "TKR.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Having my best day yet with the new knee. Could it have something to do with the fact that I was mostly doing paperwork & not standing much? :wink:
But I do think I'm improving. I feel like I'm walking well :walking:and had minimal discomfort in that tight spot I keep complaining about when doing stairs. I keep looking :capn:for signs it's going away. I've gone 7 hours between tylenol doses today and mostly needed it for my pesky shoulder rather than the knee.
 
Oh @kneeper it sounds like you may have turned a corner xxx woohoo xxx fingers crossed for you xxxx I sincerely hope that you continue this progress. You deserve it xxx
All my love and best wishes
Love Nana moon 27 xxxxx
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom