Guest viewing is limited

TKR A Lefty for kneeper

Great progress report, thanks for the very encouraging update! My lefty is one year old and complaining a bit at its extra workload as I recover from RTKR. I hope my eventual full recovery turns out as good as yours!
 
It is a joy to return to a more normal life, isn't it. When I found that if i forgot something, I could run in, up the stairs and then down into my car---I was so relieved!!!
 
Wonderful news @kneeper !! May we all do so well. I am happy to say my "Righty" is 3 years, 9 days, and my "Lefty" will be 3 years on December 17th. So very happy to say neither issued a moan or grimace through the 65+ miles of the Comina de Compostela in Spain in September!! (The 12 1/2 yr old hips and 5 mo-old back - not so much, but the knees were awesome!!!)

It sounds to me you are where you can breathe a bit easier and enjoy the miracle of renewed life these technological advances has given us! Maybe not quite as good as our "original equipment," bit so much better than we were dealing with! You go!!!!
 
Oh, @skigirl - I had no idea what I was getting into!! Plan it!!! More so, do it!! The Sainted Joe's (the hubs)colleagues had suggested it a year earlier ... we had never even heard of it. The idea of being a "pilgrim" was anathema, especially being a protestant. However, those 108.5 km (@ 65b miles) in 7 days were so illuminating. When we agreed, I had no idea my back was in the condition it was, but on April 27, 2015, I had an L4-L5 spinal fusion, and then worked to get back in shape to do the September Camino. Lots of hiking and walking for 4+ months. With your training and conditioning, it should be do-able! We had a program where our luggage was moved hotel-to-hotel, so we were only carrying daypacks; lunch along the way and dinner at our hotels each night. No hostels, where you sleep each night with 25 of your newest best friends!!.. PM me if you are interested. Love "Paul's Walks in Spain!"

Kelly, if this is what you want to do ... then do it. It was amazing. The mass in Santiago for the pilgrims (in Latin, of which I know nothing), was amazing. Wait for the 10 am English version the next day (we hear the light and swing the amazing sensor from "The Way."). But my almost-3-year-old knees never said a word! (The newer back and left hip ... not so cooperative). But we did it. And standing atop Monte Do Gozo (the last mountain before descending into Santiago de Compostla) and seeing the city below had me in tears as I reflected on what I and my body had dealt with over the past 3 (and 13 ) years. We met couples who were doing this on their 13th year (they started 800 km ago 13 years and did a week at a time; this year they made it to the end)!

Happy to chat with you about it!
 
Just a post that may be encouraging to those in the dark days of recovery. You are probably feeling right now like this :window: just watching things go by this year. But hang in there.

This year it occurred to me that I am actually able to *enjoy* Christmas baking. For years it was just agony to be on my feet long enough to make one batch of cookies. Much less a couple of batches and holiday decorating:wreath: Recovery will come for you too. :reindeer:
and Merry Christmas everyone!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!
It'll certainly be the most sober Xmas on record!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is an anniversary report post.
My right knee is 5 years old as of a few days ago and Lefty will be 2 years old tomorrow. I had tkrs due to degeneration from jRA (juvenile) #rheumatoidarthritis . My ROM was limited to about 110 for many years and post tkr I got to about 115, which I think is a success.
  • I had uneventful recoveries with slow and steady progress. I was well prepped by my OS to expect a year for full recovery and had Bonesmart here for support as well.
  • Lefty feels just like a natural knee and I rarely think of it. :roseshwr:
  • Righty also feels good, though it sometimes gets a little stiff if I've been sitting or standing a long time. But it loosens right up again. It was a mess for years before the tkr.
My only real complaint with Righty is some chronic quad tendonitis (that can flare up if I overdo certain things) that I suspect could have been partly pre-existing but a lot from letting PT have me do things like squats too early. I was too willing to be compliant. ( Note that I didn't let them make me do squats with Lefty.) So you can see why my hobby horse is telling people to not let PTs push you to do squats early. :)
I am working, shopping, gardening and doing all kinds of daily activities:walking: without the knees running my life. I feel years younger.

So a somewhat boring story, but with tkr, boring is good! :)
 
Thanks for sharing. The progress seems so slow at times one wonders if the future really is bright. People like you who take the time to report back are giving people like me hope! Thanks!


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad people have found it helpful. I spent so many years avoiding trips up and down stairs and so on that I sometimes still marvel at being able to do "normal" things.
 
Gosh that's gone by so fast @kneeper! Happy Ankneeversary for last Tuesday! I'm so glad that you are doing so well. Yes the approach on here does work most definitely.

Thanks for sharing, @Creek lady's post is proof how useful this site is xx
 
Had my checkup xrays on both knees. I think partly because both are cementless my OS likes me to come in every couple of years. The bone interface remains excellent in both of my cementless knees! No signs of any trouble at all.
So the xrays confirm my satisfaction. :)
 
Glad everything is humming along with your knees. Great report!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom