Guest viewing is limited

THR A Bionic Octopus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
octopus aw I wish you could have a happier report for 4 months... ups and downs, eh? Look at ti this way-- you got to have a big old feline sleeping with you for several weeks LOL. Maybe even he was Canadian and a hotty!:rotfl: ( Vida I don't mean you....:wink: ) Massage and facial, here you come!! :)

Vicki great to see you! What tremendous good news that your knee responded to the durolane. I hope it lasts a very long time! I read Josephine's library article on piriformis syndrome-- that doesn't seem to match exactly to my own tennis ball butt sensation, although there are similarities. I seem to remember reading something Jo had said on someone's thread about a particular stage in scar formation making a lumpy feeling to sit on. And, wonder if you can get this just from sitting in the wrong chair> Hmmmm.
 
I'm feeling marginally better the last couple of days, limping not so severe when I get up from sitting. I gave myself a huge fright last night when without thinking I crouched down to pick smithing off the floor. Why? I think I'm stupid. But there's been no great damage thankfully, just a wee bit more pain, but what's a wee bit more.

Thanks for the reminder about the Elmore oil Kim22. I have looked up suppliers and there are two not far from where I work. I might go and get some next week.

zauberflöte, big old feline in bad books today after refusing to come in last night. He spent the night outside in the cold, which he no doubt enjoyed. But I found it hard to sleep and then slept in and was late for work! Was worried he would get into a fight and I would have to pay the vet bills.
 
Hi octopus - I'm sorry to see you seem to have hit a plateau. If it makes you feel any better, I am nearly 8 months out and and having issues with a tight piriformis and very tight upper hamstring. No nerve issues, thank goodness, but it is hard to make progress on my PT beyond a certain point. Hasn't kept me from hiking, though. :dancy: I go to see my surgeon for my (twice delayed) 6 month checkup on Monday. Hopefully I will be cleared for many things.

I was going to suggest a massage, as that has been helping me, the tennis ball and roller as well, but nothing is quite the same as a good massage. I see you have one scheduled :yay:

Vida - glad to hear your knee is doing better! My diet change and more consistent use of the unloader brace have really improved mine as well. I'm hoping to put off the inevitable for a few years, although I may go ahead and have the staples removed this fall

Ok, done semi-hijacking your thread. Octopus, I hope the massage is really helpful. I was also getting quite impatient at 4 months, but looking back I can see I am still improving. It's just the pace of improvement slows, which gets really frustrating.
 
Hi my Kiwi friend octopus... Check out the thread in the social room about the Elmore Oil :)

I don't want to appear as though I am derailing or spamming any members threads :)
 
Oh no! I have another infection, this time in my calf, and a suspected DVT. I have oral antibiotics and have had a blood thinning injection. Tomorrow I go for blood tests and a scan. I hope I have got the antibiotics soon enough, as I've been sore for a few days now. I'm quite worried, but all will be revealed tomorrow.

Hi nerdgrrl, thanks for stopping by. Sorry to hear you are having trouble progressing with your PT, it can be a bit frustrating can't it? The massage was divine and my back and hip felt a lot better this morning.

Poppet, thanks for the note about the Elmore oil. I think I will go and get some, once I've sorted this latest issue. I think you mentioned using coconut oil for moisturising. Do you put anything else with it? How quickly does it absorb, I'm concerned about it staining clothing.
 
Oh octopus, I am so sorry.. Is there any swelling, if so elevate and ice.

You got onto this quickly, with a blood thinning injection and antibiotics for the infection. Is it the same leg that you had the infection in your foot?

If the scan shows DVT, your Doc will have you on continuous blood thinning meds for a while and you will be monitored closely, but I am sure Jo will reassure you.

Let us know the result of the scan. Hugs from across the ditch xx

Josephine
 
Hi octopus I am very sorry to hear about your infection and suspected DVT Its not surprising that you were in such a lot of pain.I hope both the antibiotics and the blood thinners sort you and that you are soon back on the road to recovery.
 
Thanks Elosarabrab, Kim22 & Poppet. Poppet, thanks for the tip about elevating & icing. The calf is about 4 cm bigger than my other leg, but this leg has always been slightly bigger. The infection is in the opposite leg to before, in my operated leg this time, but just to the knee at this stage.
 
Sounds more thrombophlebitis to me. Not necessarily a clot but inflammation of the deep vein in the calf which can be just as bad. Whatever it is, I hope and pray it's easily remedied for you.
 
Thanks Josephine. I had a scan and bloods today. It is indeed thrombophlebitis, of a superficial vein, blocked from knee to ankle. I have had two Clexane injections, one last night and one tonight. I am being referred to a specialist team at the hospital, will hopefully know more and have a treatment plan in place tomorrow.
 
I am pleased you are going to be under the care of a specialist team looking after you octopus.

Do let us know what they the plan is..

Thinking of you and sending hugs across the ditch xx
 
[Bonesmart.org] A Bionic Octopus!
octopus, that you're having complications. But at least you know what it is and treatment is underway with a special team. Sending healing prays your way.

Take very good care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] A Bionic Octopus!
 
Hi octopus I hope the treatment for the thrombophlebitis soon kicks in and you have an appointment with the specialists ASP Thinking about you and sending you healing thoughts to New Zealand
 
Thanks bottomshollow & Kim22 for your prayers and good wishes. Again I'm grateful to Bonesmart, I don't have to drive my friends and family crazy talking about all this hip stuff and surrounding issues. I'll just do it to you lot! :)

Poppet, I have heard from the hospital and they have recommended either continuing the Clexane or a panadol/ibuprofen combination. I go back to the doctor later today.
 
Does that mean octopus, that your GP will be the primary medical care giver and make the decision regarding treatment?

I am just so pleased that you are underway with the treatment though :)

Take care my good Kiwi friend xx
 
octopus I just caught up with you-- I'm sorry you're having such a time of it. Prayers for swift healing :) I hope your dr visit yesterday turned up a good continuing treatment plan!
 
Poppet, I am under the care of the local accident and emergency centre where I went on Sunday evening. They have been great, one of the doctors even phoned me to make sure I was coming back for the blood thinning injection. The plan is to take ibuprofen 6 hourly and then have another scan at 10 days. The treatment is suggested by a specialist team at the local hospital. I walkways forget to ask, but do you know if I'm supposed to wake myself in the night and take some then as well? I need to take them with food.

zauberflöte, thanks for your prayers!
 
octopus I'm betting you should wake yourself-- I would think, given the nature of the treatment, that it would be best to keep the blood levels of the ibuprofen fairly steady? Do you just live life normally around this treatment? Wow. :)
 
Hi octopus, my understanding is not exceed 1,200 mg per day, so that would be over a 24 hour period.

But, I would recommend that you give the Dr a call this morning. I notice you were up early this morning if the time is correct. :)

The Ibuprofen will reduce the inflammation and the pain, however, do not mix prescription and non-prescription supplements with NSAIDS unless directed to do so by your doctor. So if you are taking any supplements, especially garlic caps, I would suggest stopping and check. Garlic is an anticoagulant in its own right and that is why they would give one or the other I.e. ibuprofen and Clexane, I believe.

BUT.... all of this must be checked with your Dr, I have to stress pharmacology is not my area of expertise.. So do give the Doc a call xxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom