Guest viewing is limited

THR 9 months post-hip recovery!!!

Yes...I do plan on going back to physical therapy which I stopped early on. I hope I can get some clues as to why I'm feeling the discomfort. I was wondering if measurements are taken to make sure that one hip is aligned with the other. What if one hip is a little higher than the other? That is kind of what it feels like but I can't be sure.

I'll keep you posted after I visit Physical therapy.
 
@Trudijane I have had that feeling with my right THR. I just started some P.T. last week and it's seems to be coming from a rotation in my hips. I already feel better from the 3 exercises they gave me.
I had tightness in the lower back also, with an elevated hip, like you described. If yours is like mine, it isn't a LLD but one hip is tipped forward while the other side isn't. Or a similar version..
Unbalanced muscles can cause all kinds of issues.. hopefully a good PT will help you get back on track. good luck!!
 
Last edited:
CricketHip, thank you for your feedback. I did make a new appointment for a physical therapist (next week) and I am jotting down any relevant information (like Yours) that pertains to what may be going on with the tightness in my groin while walking and the stiff back which is so tiring.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I can discuss with my physical therapist, or had similar feeling that I have, please let me know how you felt and if you went somewhere to remedy your discomfort.

As always, I appreciate your feedback
Trudi
 
I had PT to deal with tight hip flexors that as per my PT was causing a slight LLD and also some issues me with my SI joint...lower back stuff.
Exercises have been very helpful, although I have had to insist on decreasing the repetitions of some of the exercises if I felt they were straining things.
Slow and mindful, and I'm ultimately in charge of knowing what is helpful and what is not!
 
Last edited:
What is LLD
I was wondering if they ever take meausrements when someone is getting a new hip. It would seem that it could be very easy to have one hip higher than the other? I find it impossible to diagnose myself; all I know is that the pulling and tightness of my lower back tires me out very quickly - otherwise I would walk more.
 
LLD=leg length discrepancy. My surgeon measures to be sure they are equal and I am sure that others do too but we are out.. and flat on our back.. Being upright and weight bearing I can see where there would be variation
 
Check this out. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/leg-length-differential-lld.6173/
Alot of it IS perceived and as I said, mine was not a true discrepancy either. Just needed some regular easy does it stretching.
Lots of adjusting our body has to go through after walking around with bad hips.
I had niggles throughout the first year as things got sorted.
Keep the faith, hippy pal.
 
It's really too early for you to have a concern, you have upset muscles that are too tight in some areas and it can pull you into feeling off balance and with legs not matching.
I've varied in between feeling a teensy bit too long to feeling a teensy bit too short.
Now at 3 months I'm not noticing much of anything. Maybe still a little short but I know my hips and low back are playing tricks on me, too.
You will get there, this is a slow process.
How are you feeling today? :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Trudijane
If you haven't already, consider speaking with your surgeon, or a Podiatrist, to get an exact measurement of the LLD. Often the sensation it's due to atrophied muscles which may strengthen as time progresses. Have you purchased new shoes since surgery, or wearing the old? It is advised you replace the shoes you wear most often as your frequently worn pre-op shoes have the old wear pattern which could affect your gait as it changes.
Enjoy the rest off the week!
 
Hi,
I wanted update the story where I have been complaining about a stiff back - when walking - and when I walk, itg feels like muscle in my front groin is pulling a bit. I have made an appointment with physical therapy, but also wrote my surgeon just yesterday.

Here is what she (his assistant) had to say: sounds like it could be from spinal stenosis. If you remember, you had your back Xrayed last summer and the radiologist read the images as "Severe degenerative narrowing of the L1-2, L4-5 and L5-S1 disc spaces." So that is why she suggest that I make an appointment with the Physical Medicine department for an evaluation of your back.

I completely forgot about the radiology results because of my severe hip problem and it did not feel like my back was stiff before this all. But I walk too much, I get really tired and I can feel the stiffness & the pulling. So now I'm a little worried that I am just falling apart!
 
Oh, phooey.. sorry @Trudijane. Well, you'll get the evaluation and then see what they come up with. I have similar issues with my spine.. in fact it masked the diagnosis of my hips for quite some time.
But in my case, my stenosis has been managed well and if I keep my back strong, it's not too bad. I stay very active, and have no intentions of backing it off.. hey, was that a pun? :heehee:

But seriously, I think we've all felt like we are falling apart at one time or another.. I hope you get to what is causing your issues, that is half of the battle, you know? Then you can get treatment for it. :flwrysmile:
 
Wisdom is power, as "they" say....who's "they" anyway? :heehee:
With that said...it will help to know exactly what you're dealing with, so through the proper channels you can work on a plan to bring relief. Please stay in touch and let us know what you find out.
We're here for you. I'm sorry you have to deal with this, Trudijane. :console2:
@Trudijane
 
Thank you for responding.
Crickethip,
I have similar issues with my spine.. in fact it masked the diagnosis of my hips for quite some time.
But in my case, my stenosis has been managed well and if I keep my back strong, it's not too bad

I remember reading the x-ray "severe stenosis of the spine, etc" but they were taken for my hip - not my back, so I wasn't paying much attention to what the x-rays were saying about my back!!! I do not remember feeling this stiffness in my back before the hip replacement! So, it is easy for me to assume that the stiffness I feel now is somehow related to having a new hip. So - how did you manage the stenosis? Was it there before the hip replacement? Did you go to Physical Therapy for that? I have to call the Physical Medicine Department - but I don't know what they do to assess what I'm feeling with my back.

Either way, ,I know I have to find out since only then can I hopefully manage whatever is going on. But, it seems, that a lot of it is guesswork sometimes except x-rays don't lie. So, why wasn't it an issue? That I don't understand. Anyway, I see a physical therapist tomorrow - maybe she can show me some helpful exercises.

But what about the pulling of a muscle/tendon? in my groin when I walk. I feel like I have to take very short strides - it's so subjective & hard to explain. I just want to be able to walk again without wondering?
 
I remember reading the x-ray "severe stenosis of the spine, etc" but they were taken for my hip - not my back, so I wasn't paying much attention to what the x-rays were saying about my back!!! I do not remember feeling this stiffness in my back before the hip replacement! So, it is easy for me to assume that the stiffness I feel now is somehow related to having a new hip. So - ho

Could it be from your back adjusting to your new gait after the THR? I know for me, it was very difficult to tell what was coming from my back and what was coming from my hip.
The best thing I did for myself was to get an appointment with a back specialist. I am still with the same Dr-and I chose one that wasn't a surgeon.
Mine is usually managed well with the occasional epidural injection and faithfully doing my PT exercises.
I also am a big fan of massage, no surprise there!!
You asked if I had this before the hip surgery, yes! For many years, and luckily for me it hasn't degenerated to something worse. I think my stenosis diagnosis came during my late 40's.

So, can you speak with your OS and ask him about a good physician who specializes in spine issues? That way maybe they can work in tandem to do the best for you?

For years the Dr's thought all of my hip pain was referred from my back, so I'm guessing that anything is possible with the symptoms you're feeling. Good luck! I hope you keep us posted as you figure this out.
 
Could it be from your back adjusting to your new gait after the THR? I know for me, it was very difficult to tell what was coming from my back and what was coming from my hip.

This is what I thought at first which is why I decided to go back to physical therapy (tomorrow). But then when I wrote to my surgeon regarding the issue, his assistant reminded me of the severe stenosis on the radiology tests, and advised me to go to Physical Medicine Department - where they deal with back issues primarily - I think - for that I go next Thursday. I hope I get some answers.

Mine is usually managed well with the occasional epidural injection and faithfully doing my PT exercises.
I also am a big fan of massage, no surprise there!!

Why did you get an epidural. Were you in pain? I'm not in pain, but my back stiffens so much and I can't really describe specifically what I'm feeling or why. So it's either a gait adjustment or a spine problem - don't know.

I do have a history of back problems. In 1995, I had a very big herniated disc at the L5/S1 (lower back) area. Very painful for 2 years..I almost had surgery but decided not to, and luckily it healed on its own. So, I thought my back problems were over. This is the first time I've heard about the stenosis and I would not have know had it not been my hip pain!!
 
I’m sure you are worried. It can feel overwhelming, but you will get some answers soon.
I only get the epidurals when the pain is bad. Its not very frequent, which I view as encouraging. In fact, I can’t recall my last one so its been a while. That last two were for my neck.
It will be very interesting to see what you learn next Thursday. It can’t come soon enough, can it?
 
@Trudijane you may not need an epidural, I know you are very worried, but you should wait and get a proper diagnosis for what you are experiencing and then get a game plan in place. It’s good that you are going next week, at least it’s not too long too wait, thank goodness.
To answer your question, I don’t think I've ever had an epidural treatment for stiffness.
Take care and I hope you get some answers next Thursday. :angel:
 
:hi:
Happy Six Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a good one @Trudijane
 
Hi everyone,
I plan to write my surgeon about this, but thought I'd post here first. I'm concerned about a few incidents that occurred within the last week and the results afterward.

First, I was on the bus (car was in shop) and as I was walking to get off, the driver abruptly stopped which caused my right hip to swing against one of the bars of the bus. I believe it was exactly where or around where my incision site is. Afterward that area hardened and became very sore when pressing on it. The soreness has lessened but is still there.

The 2nd incident (several days later) I was standing and sort of torqued my body to reach for something when I experienced a sharp pain for a second. I tried to figure out how I was standing for this to have happened and I saw that my right foot was facing inward a bit - and I forgot what direction I turned in. All I know is that is produced a sharp pain and wasn't sure why.

I forgot about it until I noticed just yesterday that when I walk up the steps in my house, I hear a very distince faint clicking sound when my right foot is up on the step. I thought I was imagining it at first, but today I can still hear it. It sounds like bones are clicking somewhere, just slightly.

I am somewhat concerned since this clicking started shortly after I felt the sharp pain.
I plan to tell my surgeon the same thing. I am not sure whether a setback was created - or not.
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
Back
Top Bottom