Guest viewing is limited

THR 9 months post-hip recovery!!!

:wave: @Trudijane Good to read your update. I am two weeks before you and still have the tiredness but am not able to exercise properly at the moment therefore I take B12 and D3 daily.

https://goodrelaxation.com/2018/05/vitamins-for-tiredness-and-lack-of-energy/

it is a little bit of a waste of time because I was there maybe 15 minutes and shown 2 simple stretching exercises to do to stretch those muscles I haven't used in awhile. I could have just as easily got the pictures and done it at home.


When I first had my hip done in 2014 I had to go back to the hospital 3 times a week for six weeks for physio. It was usually 20 minutes but sometimes 45 minutes and more. Upon arrival my 'man' would put me on a table and give me so and so to do, then he would move on to the next person, come back to me intermittently giving new instructions and so on. What a waste of time, plus for Hubby who had to drive me 30 minutes each way! Had I known of BoneSmart then I would have quit. It was free however as it was SNS/NHS. For my following three ops I dedicated myself to exercise.

I am afraid I cannot help with the weight gain as I did on the suggestion of my Surgeon! :heehee: I also hope your bladder problems eased up.

Do you have a hobby you can distract yourself with ... or take up a new one?

Take a deep breath, have faith and tell yourself there's a light at the end of the tunnel and aim for it.

Sending hugs from afar.

[Bonesmart.org] 9 months post-hip recovery!!! Izabel xx
 
Hi, yes I think this Friday will be the last time I actually go to PT. If she has any further exercises, I will ask her for them and do them at home. I thought it would be a lot different as was my PT prior to my hip surgery which was much more intensive. Unfortunately, it didn't work!! But at least I felt like I was doing something and got the full treatment!

As for the tiredness, I think I have the perfect storm here. I can really feel that I am carrying around maybe 10 more lbs of weight, my post-op healing is gradual and is still happening, plus I am going through a case of depression. All this leads to tiredness which vigorous activity used to help - but I still feel so limited in what I can do.

At least my bladder problems have subsided. I just took off my raised toilet seat (I had borrowed it) and now my toilet seems SO low. I never would have been able to use it during my first few weeks of recovery. It is much easier having it a little bit higher.

Well, it's a nice day - so it's time for my walk and plan for my day. Wish I could run but I can't :(
 
@Trudijane your words pretty much describe my first hip. Tired tired, and an early post mentioned feelings of instability and this pain and that pain. That was my right. I also did moderately strenuous PT and regretted it. The instability I didn't really know of until I took my first step after second THR. Night and day! (same OS, same hospital, was heavier and in worse shape go figure) I specifically noted immediately that I'd not lost my trust in the stability of my hip. What took 6 weeks for the first took 2 weeks for second. Driving at 2 weeks was no problem. The fatigue was not as noticeable. First hip I ditched walker on day 2 or 3. Carried cane for exactly the reason you did. Second hip, I ditched the walker the minute I got home, except for carrying all my nesting supplies up and downstairs. Left the cane in the car but felt sturdy and stable from the git go. No PT AT ALL for second hip. Just walked. Two years later I'm doing intensive "post-hab" via Barre classes. And loving it!
 
Hi Trudijane,
Many of us have a sleep deficit even before we experience our THR. Tossing and turning all night in an effort to get comfortable, laying awake with anxious thoughts swirling. If you were experiencing high fatigue levels before surgery, it will carry over afterward. Your body will use energy first toward healing, not leaving a great reserve for the activities of daily living. I hope you're at least getting some decent sleep at night. You may still feel tired but hopefully you've noticed some improvement over the weeks and now months. If not, please consider speaking with your Primary Care Provider to further investigate potential causes.

Some simple ways to improve energy levels are through healthy nutrition and staying adequately hydrated. You may want to consider any meds you're on as possible cause of the fatigue you describe, discussing with your PCP. If you're plagued by ongoing depression that most certainly is contributing. I hope you're seeking counsel in that area and not suffering silently. Make sure your activity level is appropriate to where you are in the recovery process. Hopefully you're slowly noticing improvement overall.

Good to hear your bladder problems have improved. See...progress! I hope you have a lovely Friday and a great weekend!
@Trudijane
 
Last edited:
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you're catching up on some rest and feeling more refreshed.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend in San Fran! :wave:
@Trudijane
 
I did the same thing, have been eating ice cream every day and gained 10 pounds. I feel addicted to it, will start weaning off. As far as fatigue and being sleepy, that was me, just now is getting better, 8 weeks out. Quite a journey, we all are going through or been on.
 
I usually come write when I have nothing good to say! Well today, I want to change that. It is 2 weeks post B-day, and 3-1/2 months post op; and lately I have never felt better!! I'm thrilled just to say that because for all you newbies, I was one of the ones that was impatient, very depressed, and skeptical at 2 months post-op when I felt I would never get better.

I don't want to definitely say that everything is perfect - I need more time to assess my feeling good - but for now, I feel as if I've reached a point where there are no aches or funny feelings when I walk and do the things I had to use props for. I am now able to bend my knee to put on my socks/shoes although I'm still cautiously stretching the muscles in that area since they have not been used in awhile. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and have a problem but for the last week - it has been great feeling that my body isn't letting me down.

I also want to add that those recliners that I bought while I was still hurting, was one of the good decisions I've made. Now, when I want to watch TV (downstairs) it's comfortable and doesn't put any pressure on my back or hip area.

I am reading every post that comes in and still identify with you all. BTW, someone local wrote a post on our Nextdoor community site that she just had a hip replacement and she needed a foot massage. I volunteered - why didn't I think about that myself? I used to be a massage therapist and know how good it feels to get ones feet massaged. Plus, I empathize with this person who can't leave her house!

Take care all and be patient......
 
What a wonderful update, Trudijane. A belated Happy Birthday to you!
Your post will serve as inspiration to those who are struggling in the early weeks, wondering if they made a mistake and will be the exception to a postitve result. It's great you're feeling optimistic, with the realization you still may experience an off day as healing continues throughout the coming months.

I'll bet it's satisfying that your investment in the recliners is paying off as you enjoy watching tv without pressure on your back or hips.

How thoughtful of you to answer the add request for a foot massage. I'm sure you'll be the highlight of the day to your homebound customer, not to mention the comfort you'll provide. You may even meet a new friend.
Thanks for sharing your update. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Trudijane
 
Hi! I too gained weight after my hip replacement for the same reasons. I think it started after 2 months that I ate ice cream and more breads. I rejoined WW as it seems to help me. As far as the fatigue and muscle aches for me the fatigue just got better after the 8 week mark. I still get it 5 months out if I over do it and then I lie down ice and nap for an hour. When I would over do it walking or doing errands I always got pain in my groin which was a sign I over did it. It all gets better and better. Someone on this forum talked about looking back week by week instead of day by day and then you really see how far you have come. Good luck in your healing and hope the fatigue goes away soon. Experiment with naps and times in bed. It does improve. Our bodies have been traumatized and I think it takes a long time to heal on all levels. I still have swelling in my upper thigh but it comes less and less which is a relief. My OS says it could last a year.
Have a good weekend.
 
So happy to see you feeling encouraged and doing well @Trudijane :tada:
Month four is when I felt I had my biggest turnabout.
It is definitely a process.
Lots of improvement still to come.
Hope your weekend is sweet :) :-) (:
 
Happy Five Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well.
Please leave us an update, we'd love to hear about your progress.
Until then...all the best!
@Trudijane
 
Hello all, it has been a long while until I checked into this forum, but I have been reading all the new threads that come in.

It's hard to believe that I'm post-op 6 months now! And this is the best place that I know of to seek advice or comments.

First, it's great not to feel any pain and I've gotten back to normal (I think) as far doing mostly everything - BUT - and I wish there weren't any buts, but after I walk a bit (trying to walk more & more), there are 2 things that I notice that doesn't make it feel 100% right.

That is, when I walk, my right groin area feels a slight pulling every step I take (that is, when the left foot steps forward) as well as a very tight feeling in my back (it feels like my back has not adjusted to the hip surgery) both of which leads to exhaustion and I have to stop when I want to walk so much more.

I can tell there is a difference from one hip to another - but am very thankful that I have no more horrible pain. But it still doesn't feel like back to normal because of the above 2 issues. I'm not sure what kind of doctor I can talk to about these small but uncomfortable feelings that inhibit me from walking the way I used to!!

Does anyone have any feedback about this? It is so diffficult to describe and thus so difficult to diagnose. I'm still looking forward to the day I can walk w/o thinking about walking! I can feel the difference, definitely.

Warm regard to everyone.

PS. Those recliner chairs that I bought from Macys are definitely a good decision, because I am SO comfortable in verious positions when I want to relax!
 
@Trudijane This stiffness and tight feeling will ease. You are still healing and muscles are adjusting to your new way of walking. Just keep doing what you are doing. Walk when you can but don't push. Complete recovery can take 12 months or more.
 
@Trudijane I am experiencing the same problems when walking.. Trekking poles help me a lot and I am investigating doing some basic yoga stretches for the psoas muscle.. It does tend to seize when walking. My posture is not great.. Better than before but still not right.
After I am mostly healed I will do PT to make sure I do them correctly at home.. Ask around for recommendations for a therapist
 
Hi @Trudijane
It's nice to see you on the forum. Thanks for the update. You've come so far and are doing so well!

I'm not sure what kind of doctor I can talk to about these small but uncomfortable feelings that inhibit me from walking the way I used to!!

While I agree with Jaycey, would it bring you some peace of mind to check in with your OS about your concerns? What about a few PT sessions as another consideration? Possibly they could evaluate your gait and see if it needs a bit of tweaking.

Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. Good to hear from you!
 
So good to meet you and read about your recovery. It means a lot to us "newbies" to hear from those who have gone a few more miles and have a successful outcome. I can relate to the back issues/groin issues. In my lower back pain case (sometimes the groin), I do believe it's my feisty iliopsoas, a deep muscle that connects from low back and heads on down to leg. It flexes us forward and also flexes our leg. It's got a big supportive job and I believe that much of what we experience after a surgery such as this is getting our muscles to come back into balance, especially because we've spent a great deal of time just sitting around, and often more difficult for those of us who have led physically active lives. As others have wisely suggested, present your concerns to your surgeon and go from there. Maybe a qualified massage therapist/rolfer who is well-versed in integrative body work can help. Wishing you well and continued healing.

.take care of yourself
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all.
Going on 6 months now and while I have no pain - I still am very much aware that when I'm walking one side feels different from the other. I try to guess what may be causing the problems I'm experiencing, but I'm not sure anyone can.

When I walk, I'm still aware of the difference between my left hip and the replacement hip on my right side. This is what I feel. I feel a kind of pulling sensation on my right upper hip area (groin?) when my left leg is in front as I'm walking. It's not painful but it seems to be associated with why my back gets very stiff when I walk.

I'm not even sure I am walking correctly or if I need to be taught a new way of walking. I know it's strange, but I tired so quickly as a result of these feelings that I can't until I can lie down with my feet up on some pillows. Has anyone else experienced this kind of pulling of a tendon or muscle? Best way I can describe it. But worse is how stiff my back gets as a result of just walking; I don't know if I should push myself to do more wallking or to rest when I'm feeling tired.

At least I can walk without any pain, but it is still very tiring and uncomfortable.
 
Sounds like it is time to seek out a competent PT. There are muscles in your hip and back that may be out of shape or all tight. I have back spasms when walking. I am not yet cleared for PT but suspect the piriformis and psoas and the piriformis spasm is relieved by knuckle or tennis ball massage. Two poles take away the strain entirely but that is not what I want all the time.
 
Hello Trudijane...
Six months already, boy does time fly. It's wonderful you're doing so well aside from the nagging pulling and stiffness you've described. Have you given any consideration to touching base with your OS to get his take and advice, or scheduling a few sessions with a PT to work on your gait? It would be nice to see you get some help so you're able to confidently move forward without experiencing discomfort and fatigue.
Hope you get answers and find relief soon.
@Trudijane
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom