THR 9 months post-hip recovery!!!

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to check in and also because I worry too much (probably).

Sometimes, it's difficult to know what body part is affected by something you did - as in my case this past week. I automatically blame it on my hip - but it may be my back.

I lifted something I probably shouldn't have - even thought it wasnt's that heavy, just bulky (had to get a box to the Post Office). I should have asked somebody to help me - but I didn't.

Anyway, later that evening, when walking, I felt an ache that I thought went away, come back. At first I thought it was my hip. Now I'm thinking it's my back. It just feels sore in that area (always on the right side) when I walk. It's not excruciatingly painful, but aches just enough to feel as if I did something.

I also made an appointment with my Dr. because lately I feel very fatigued and tired, after doing a few things. At the same time, I have a tooth that I may have to be extracted - because it may be infected - I will know Friday.

So, I just feel awful - everything just piling up, one thing after another. The back/hip ache, the tiredness, my tooth giving me signs that something is wrong. I am also stressed out because if this tooth is removed, I will have no upper right molars left!!! What is wrong with my right side??

Now that I have told you about my tooth ... does anybody know of a good 'teeth' or 'implant' forum online? I am part of a periodontist site, but I can't post because I am not a professional.

OK, time to lie down now. Bye.

Hi Trudijane
I'm sorry your back is bothering you, as well as your tooth. Could some of your fatigue be due to anxiety I'm wondering? I'm not sure how long ago you lifted whatever you believe has caused the pain you're struggling with. Wondering if you've iced the area of discomfort and taken any OTC pain relievers? You don't need to answer, but that's where I'd start. Rather than searching out dental maladies / remedies online and possibly further stressing yourself out, consider waiting until you see the dentist on Friday and have a concrete diagnosis and plan to resolve the issue. It's only two days away and you're being proactive so please try not to worry.
Wishing you comfort and peace. Stay in touch...we're here for you. :console2:
@Trudijane

Many years ago I had an under the radar infected tooth, it had been causing me a lot of fatigue. Almost immediately after having it pulled my energy returned. I was amazed how much it had been draining my energy.
As far as finding a surgeon to do your implant, find some one who does a lot of implants, same advice we give for searching for a joint replacement surgeon.
Good luck, let us know how your dental appointment goes on Friday.

I appreciate your getting back to me. The box I lifted - it was 2 days ago from upstairs to downstairs and to my car. So, I can't help think that it might be that, that somehow put a strain somewhere.

Thanks for reminding about the ice pack!! So far, I have just been taking ibuprofen to mask whatever ache it is.

What Pumpkin said, may be correct. if you don't mind listening about teeth. He wanted to pull it out 6 months ago because he said it was losing bone and he could only try and put an implant there. My dentist tried to save the tooth by a deep cleaning and antibiotic shot.

About 2 weeks ago, my gum swelled up over the implant that was already removed; and I had a feeling it had something to do with that tooth. Luckily it went away, but I can't help feeling that there is something wrong with that tooth; it throbs every once in awhile and just doesn't feel right - but I'm in state if denial for fear he will now pull the tooth out leaving me with no molars on my right side - and unsure whether he can put an implant in to replace it.

I am beginning to feel, that maybe that tooth could be a source of some other problems. And, my dentist agrees, it can't be saved. Yet I'm holding onto it for dear life. The implant next to this tooth got severely infected and had to be removed last year! with no possibility for another implant.

So the struggle with this issue has been causing me a great deal of 'stress' Layla, because I won't have any teeth to chew on and I'm very sensitive to having any missing teeth. I, myself, have thought that the tooth may have an underlying infection that I am in denial about. I was trying to save it, but I t think I'm losing the battle.

Then having my back ache on top of it (or hip) plus the fatigue, makes me want to just collapse and lie in bed. So, yes, I'm really stressed out by all of these things.

@Trudijane sorry multiple things seem to be going wrong right now. I know you don't want missing teeth but if they are causing problems they need to go, it's a health issue. If you can't get an implant you can always look into getting a partial denture, they have really come a long way.

Thanks Elf1.
The thought of having a partial denture, really is depressing to me. I don't know why, but I hope you are right (that they have come a long way). I will let you all know on Friday!

Hello all,
I thought I'd update you, since the last time I wrote!

First, the ache in my back that I have been worried about seems to be getting better, gradually. I'm guessing I probably pulled a muscle by lifting something too bulky and it seems to be gradually going away.

As for my tooth - I tried to save it, but could not. It was an infected tooth (according to the periodontist) and after 2 flairups, I had the tooth pulled (with bone graft). I have to admit, that I am feeling so much better, in general, and I think whatever was going on in that tooth affected the rest of me. So, that's a plus.

I am hoping for an implant (if there is enough bone growth); but if I can't, the gap there is just too big for me to feel good about it. So, I'll be looking into getting a 'flipper' (I think that's what they call them) to fill in 2 teeth on the upper right and 1 on the upper left. Or, get used to it - but I don't think I want to, really.

So, thanks everyone for your advice, about the back, tooth,and everything!

Thanks for updating, Trudijane.
It's definitely encouraging that the pain in your back is lessening. Hopefully it's history soon. Getting rid of that bad tooth was necessary since it was infected. With any luck the bone graft is a success and you're able to get the implant you're hoping for. If not you'll need to resort to Plan B.

I see you just celebrated an anniversary. A belated Happy Ten Month Anniversary to you!
I hope you have a wonderful week!
@Trudijane

Happy One Year Anniversary, Trudijane!
Hopefully all is well. I know your area took some strict precautions early on and with any luck things have calmed down in the Bay Area? :fingersx:
Take care, be safe, stay well and have a great special anniversary day!
@Trudijane

Hi Layla,
I really wasn't sure myself how SF was doing as compared to other places; and so far we have managed to keep the numbers down - but SF is a very small City, really. But, we must be doing something right.

The rate of new coronavirus cases has slowed somewhat this week in San Francisco, but still, by Friday it was inching toward 500 in the city.

Health officials reported 47 new positive tests Friday, bringing the countywide count to 497, doubling at a rate of over a week. The death toll remained at seven for a second consecutive day.

Despite the rosy numbers, Mayor London Breed emphasized the importance of San Francisco residents continuing to practice social distancing.

“Here in San Francisco,” Breed said, “we have been able to do, I think, a tremendous job in maintaining numbers that people thought would be completely out of control at this time.

“When you think about what is happening in San Francisco compared to places like New York,” Breed said. “New York, sadly, the numbers have skyrocketed out of control. … The reason why everyone is praising San Francisco for our swift action in closing down the city and looking at the numbers is everyone here knew how important it was.”

Hello everyone:
I hope y'all are doing well during this crazy time. I've been reading, mostly, and not posting very often because my hip has been doing well (at least until today). I did write to my health provider since I missed my yearly check-up due to the pandemic.

Anyway, I was out in my back yard, standing on a small ladder (2nd step) pruning some leaves. I was about finished, when the ladder slipped and while I did not fall from the ladder (which would have been worse), it slipped directly to the ground with me on it - so my hip received a jolt when I landed. It slipped against the tree, because the ladder was up against a slippery part of my cat enclosure that I put up!

It was as if I jumped 2 steps onto both of my feet; so my hip definitely felt the impact. It wasn't painful, but shortly after, the area began throbbing...so I took an ibubrofen in case it would swell. It's still not painful, but I definitely feel it, and it has started to throb again. So, I'm a bit worried. What did I do to my hip is what I'm asking myself!!! I don't know what to do that's best!

I suppose I would be in a lot of pain if something was dislocated, but would want to know what I might have done as a result of this impact. Any guesses?

Take care,
Trudi

Hi! Good to hear from you. We sure can be jolted back to our hip babies, right? Lol. I have found I’m going along just fine until I do something my hip hasn’t done in a very long time (and that no one else would think twice about) and it doesn’t like it. Imagine that! You immediately go to worse case scenario. Can’t help it. We’ve invested a lot of blood, sweat, and, some of us, tears not to mention dollars to not worry about those precious hips. The old ice and elevate and monitor is what I would do. I think sometimes it’s just the soft tissue having to take on a load that it’s not use to (like me starting cardio workouts. Lol) Your healthcare provider can fill you in if there is anything else it might be. I agree it would probably be a lot more painful if something significant were going on. Keep us posted.

I've jolted mine and gotten soreness but it turned out to be tissue pain Of course the first thoughts are that the hip is messed up. Just from what I've heard you would know if you dislocated even partially. Most say it's so bad it's all you can do to breathe, I hope to never find out!

@Trudijane :wave:

Goodness, those near misses are scary, aren't they? Thankful that it wasn't worse!

Hopefully you are icing your hip and it's just some soft tissue irritation.
I'm sure you have thought of calling your Dr office, maybe and then shaking off the thought of calling, because it's probably nothing?
But a call into your OS office might be comforting to you if the soreness persists.

Thank you guys for responding! And yes, it's amazing how protective we are about our artificial hips, even after a year. You become aware that it's not YOUR hip but another hip that someone has put in your body - and it definitely felt the jolt. I stood there for a moment afraid to move. Afraid to walk for fear I might not be able to.

I saved my icing type belt and am wearing right now - I still would like to get a personal appointment with my surgeon just to be sure. I'm not sure whether or not they are taking appointments at this time. A zoom appointment certainly won't tell me anything.

But thank you - I read every post that comes in - so I'm not gone - just not heard very much.
Trudi

Hi @Trudijane
Its nice to hear from you, sorry about the circumstances though. Your slip on the ladder and resulting fall sounds scary. Hopefully with the ice and rest, Jaycey recommended you’ll be back to normal quickly. Please stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
A great week to you. :)

Hello everyone,
I hope everyone is doing well as expected!

Last time I was here, I had quite a jolt as a result of the ladder I was on, sliding on the tree and onto the ground. Well...that problem has gone away!

Now, I'm concerned about another hip issue; I feel silly writing about every little pain that occurs, but I got pretty worried last night. Hip was fine all day and got a little stressed out from some mail I got (fighting a parking ticket). It actually has to do with my handicap placard, but that's not why I'm writing.

I went to my computer to respond to it, and I think sat in the same position for about 1/2 hour. I don't know how I was sitting; I may have had my knee crossed.. but what happened was when I got up I had this minor pain (if you could call it pain) in my hip area (and you always know it's that hip again, right?). And, I was almost afraid to walk, suddenly remembering all the pain I was in pre-op.

So I walked slowly and with each step it very sore and I had to limp for the first hour or so. I wouldn't call it pain exactly; just a soreness that I can't pinpoint which I still have today; especially when I tense up my glut muscles; I feel like a strain in that area.

When I lie down to rest, I am getting a burning sensation in the same area and a bit o throbbing with it. I can walk ok, but something feels stuck and I have no clue what I did to myself that would cause this. Has this kind of thing ever happened to anyone. I was tensed up & sitting in one position for awhile; when I got up I felt sore. Not stiff, sore.

I have been taking ibuprofen but have not iced it yet. But I can it definitely is the problem hip on the inside (no problems or pain on the outside). Any thoughts?

@Trudijane Stress has an amazing amount of impact to our bodies. Sitting can be challenging for a new hippie at times. But sitting tensed and focused for that long obviously aggravated that hip. Some of the discomfort could also be lower back.

Ice and elevate if you can. Hope things ease quickly.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom