THR 9 months post-hip recovery!!!

You mentioned it was a beautiful day and normally you'd be out walking, but instead you rested, iced and watched videos. So is it pain and discomfort holding you back, is it fatigue, or both?
Were having a bit of a heat wave here; too hot to walk; so I thought it would be a good time to rest after met with a cat client. It doesn't hurt although i still feel wobbly and very stiff (mostly my back) in the AM). It takes me 2X as long to get ready every morning, still. Given the weather, and recuperating the the previous day, I felt it was the best thing to do today.

Have you tried to go out walking for 5-10 minutes in one direction, then turning around and heading back?

Yes, every day. There is walkway just outside my house, that is flat and I've been walking back & forth on that mostly every day. I usually stop when I feel it's become too much for me or if I get too tired. Today, I didn't because of the heat and walking up/down a lot of stairs.

My cat client is making things a bit easier for me. The hardest thing for me at this point, it getting in/out of the car, especially on a very very steep hill where they live. So, she gave me the key to the garage, which means walking up 1 extra set of stairs - which does not bother me as much.

I hope by 6/21, I will feel a lot more energetic. The only company I will have is her cats!!! as i do for most of the holidays since that is when everyone usually goes away.

Thank you for your reassuring post. It's too hot even sitting (for me).





.
@Trudijane
 
Wishing you a peaceful week, Trudijane.
I think you're doing better than you feel you're doing. You seem to be on track so please take comfort in that.
Happy Monday! I hope it's a good day for you.
@Trudijane
 
I haven't been here for awhile, it seems, and I am eager to catch up on reading all the new posts/threads.

I am going on Week 12 post-op recovery and while I HAVE made progress; I still feel somewhat crippled - what words shall I use? Stiff, aching all around the various muscle groups, and my depression has come back to cripple me even more. I have other things going on that makes me wonder if everything is related in some way.

As far as aches & pains, my left knee is beginning to hurt when going upstairs (my guess is because I've been using it more to compensate for walking differently). Some days I wake up with everything hurting - which has happened before and goes away as quickly as it comes.

Yesterday, I was having a good day all around, when during the evening, I had to strain a bit to go to the bathroom. I would not call it constipation - just a more difficult time defecating. Towards the end, I felt like a pulling sensation in my hip area (I'm not sure anymore) which ended my feelings of progress. It really felt like a setback and into today - so as careful as I always am, it seems that any little move can cause a setback. Anybody else feel this way?

I also have OAB again...have to get up 6X during the night to pee. I had this syndrome about a years ago (for 6 months ago); and that went away as quickly as it came - but now it's back and is causes me to have to get up, lose sleep and I wake up every day feeling very tired & depressed. Sometimes i feel like giving up because I honestly feel that I am never going to heal, completely even though I have made progress over the past 3 months. When will I be able to walk w/o thinking about it? Or when will I be able to get in/out of my car w/o taking care not to swivel and twist the wrong way?

I had to force myself to get up this morning and have breakfast at Starbucks. Now all I feel like doing it getting back into bed and watching TV until I have to catsit which is not a difficult gig - something I can do right now.

But what scares me is the terrible depression/anxiety that I wake up with every morning. It just seems to me that everything is related and I don't know what to deal with first. Before the hip replacement, I needed to replace a tooth implant; and I still need to to that but that is also an ordeal. It all makes me want to hide. Some of you are so very strong. I thought I was - but not right now.
 
Hi pretty red-haired lady!
I sure hate to hear you sounding so discouraged:console2:
Stiff, aching all around the various muscle groups,
I still felt a good bit of stiffness at 3 months out, especially after periods of inactivity, or upon waking.
Sometimes i feel like giving up because I honestly feel that I am never going to heal, completely even though I have made progress over the past 3 months. When will I be able to walk w/o thinking about it? Or when will I be able to get in/out of my car w/o taking care not to swivel and twist the wrong way?
Probably in a few more months...I know four months was my biggest turnabout mentally..knowing all was going to be okay but it was a few months after that before I was past the hyper sensitive protectiveness I felt as I didn't want this good thing messed up.

I had to force myself to get up this morning and have breakfast at Starbucks
Glad to hear you are "forcing" yourself to get out.
You need to be walking and getting out and sometimes we just have to fake it until we make it, right?
Hopefully you have someone you can spend some time with..you have ALOT of places to go with this new hip!
Keep the faith!:tada:
 
Hi @Trudijane :wave:
It's going to be your three month anniversary already next Wednesday. I'll bet that went by quickly.
I'm sorry to read you're feeling a little blue. It sounds like your hunch in regard to your left knee could be a good possibility.

While you're almost three months post op, you're still very early into recovery and complete healing. You will have ups and downs, but it will get better. I think you should get use to having your THR in the forefront of your mind. I don't believe it's by accident that were keenly aware for a time, it seems it's for our own protection and it keeps us on our toes. It does fade over time though and you think of it all less and less.

My best advice would be try to structure your days ahead of time, if you're not already. If you're not working and have no place to be, plan out your day ahead of time of it may be too easy for you to fall into the temptation to lay around feeling miserable, which will only feed your low mood. Chin up, I'm sure brighter days are right around the corner.
Make them happen! :SUNsmile:
 
There is one thing that I wanted to bring up about other maladies I have been going through - and wondered if some of it was related to the HR.

Awhile back I had OAB (Overactive bladder) where I had to go to the bathroom all night long (at least 6X/night). I went to a urologist, etc. and nothing helped after doing a variety of diagnostic tests. This went on for at least 3 months, and I woke up tired every day. It just disappeared on it's own and have no idea why. I've been fine for over a year.

Now, it has come back and once again it's driving me crazy, especially since it interferes with a good night's sleep and my having to get up & down from bed to go to the bathroom. I was wondering if the hip replacement would have anything to do with this problem? I wake up tired, anxious, having to take an anti-anxiety pill (I always took then just at night), Anxiety can be so debilitating and scary if you have ever had it.

there are other things...but I don't want to get into then here. It just feel like I'm falling apart in so many ways and I don't know where to seek help from. It's not in my head!
 
@Trudijane I am afraid your THR would not impact OAB. Many new hippies have a weak bladder just post op. But this usually eases very quickly. Perhaps talk to your urologist about this?
 
Trudijane,
Please reach out to someone. A trusted family member, friend, doctor, clergy or counselor.
There is help available, but you need to take the first steps. Pick up the phone...
Prayers for your peace of mind. :prayer:
@Trudijane
 
I had to go to the bathroom all night long (at least 6X/night).

I had this problem in hospital when my infection was discovered in October. The nurses took a sample to check for UTI but negative. I had it again this last time around. I wonder if it was antibiotics in my case or medications. Now I go 2/3 times between 'lights out' at 11pm and 7am (I have my last pee around 10.30pm). It has long been a thing with me that I don't eat or drink anything past 8 o'clock, usually earlier. Also, I probably don't drink as much fluid as I should. I had terribly dry skin in hospital and they would say 'water, water, water' and my response was always 'pee, pee, pee' ... it became quite a joke.

I wish I could offer a suggestion but I can't and I have come to the sad decision that it is a woman and age curse (although I am older than you). I am trying pelvic floor muscle strengthening in hopes ...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/kegel-exercises/art-20045283

Wishing us relief ...

Izzy xx

[Bonesmart.org] 9 months post-hip recovery!!!
 
Last edited:
I really like the icon that you have above. It fits the subject!

I'm not so sure it's an age thing. As I said - somewhere - I had this happen about 5 years ago - same issue - OAB. Nothing worked and the urologists were stumped since all the tests I took were normal. Then one day, it just 'stopped' and quickly as it came and it's just that it's back.

I meant to write about my hip issue though.....For about 3-4 days, my hip felt strong, like I had made progress. I sometimes forgot which hip was replaced! so I was thrilled. One day, I did a lot and by that I mean...getting in & out of my car more than usual to do errands, etc.

Since that time, I have been getting noticeable aches - mostly in my groin area and around the upper hip area. Just when I thought I was doing a lot better, I regressed to doing not better which is depressing to me. I see my surgeon next week for a 3 month follow-up but I'm sure he will tell me that what I'm feeling is to be expected and not out of the ordinary.

If I had stayed on the track that I was on - I would be thrilled!!! But now, I'm back to being distressed. I wish I knew what was going on inside there. Healing, then backtracking - healing/backtracking. Has that happened with anyone and should it???
 
Last edited:
@Trudijane First let me say congratulations on your 3 month anniversary! I've read your thread and I understand how distressing the recovery can be. It won't relieve your anxiety but I had ups and downs........many on the forum have. It's almost like a roller coaster. One day we can feel so good, followed by doing too much, which then leads to days of not being able to do anything. Once you get caught in that circle, the only thing you can do is start from square one. I still use ice on my hip and elevate when needed, even at 4 months post-op. And rest, rest, rest. It may seem counter productive to you but it's the best way to get back to an even keel. So to answer your question on healing and backtracking, it does happen. But it does get better too. Slow and steady recovery-----it's different for everyone. I'm happy that you have your OS appt next week, that should bring you some peace of mind. Keep us posted and have a good 4th tomorrow. We're thinking of you and wishing for the best!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a nice Fourth of July. I'll bet they put on a fantastic firework display in your city.
Wishing you a great weekend!
@Trudijane
 
@Trudijane
Just wondering if your bladder problem went away when your anxiety was mostly controlled, then came back when your anxiety reared its ugly head to a higher level. Back when I was 40, I had bladder problems like yours. I had test after test after test and everything came back negative. Finally I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. It just came on at that age. Once my anxiety was controlled my bladder problems went away. Hope you get it all figured out with help from a good doctor.:console2:
 
I just want to add the post surgery I literally had to wear diapers for about 2 weeks. I’ve always had a weaker bladder but NEVER experienced anything like this. I’m not sure, but because of the hip surgery and pain in my hips I couldn’t “hold it” or couldn’t get myself to the bathroom fast enough. It was awful. But it got better and I was able to ditch the Depends after a few weeks. So I did experience bladder changes but then it resolved..... thank goodness!!!
 
Hi there,
I haven't posted in awhile; but I felt like I wanted to thank you all for helping me get through this recovery period which I know is ongoing and helped me deal with all my doubts & depression. You really taught me that this recovery period is NOT linear - it doesn't go in a straight line. There are ups & downs and sometimes ones expectations are based on statements such as - well by now you should be able to.....etc. etc.. There are no by nows since everyone heals differently and over different spans of time.

So here is where I am at now. It has been 3 months/1week - just went to my 3-month post-op exam, and I'm feeling pretty good! At times, I'm beginning to forget which hip was replaced! But there are still days where I don't feel quite right but then I feel I'm back on track. I just don't question or worry about it. But, I'm walking without pain, and apparently I can now do things that I though I couldn't because of my own cautiousness. This is why they encouraged me to go to Physical Therapy - to help with mobility and my own awareness of mobility. (ie. I can bend my knee now, but been avoiding it because for the longest time it was a no-no. Compared to how I was feeling since I last wrote, it's making me glad that I went through it. Not having all that pain is worth it and I finally am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

As for my bladder problems, I still have to go many times during the night. But this is something I had once before and it went away just as it came so I'm not doing anything for it except hoping it will go away sooner rather than later. Perhaps it IS related to anxiety since all my tests also showed nothing. Or maybe now that I'm back on my ice cream binge - it has something to do with that.

I really signed on to thank all of you for helping me through this and I gave rave reviews about this forum to my Drs. You helped me psychologically - more than my Drs.
 
Hi Trudijane,
It's refreshing to read your latest update. Thanks for sharing. You sound great! It's is helpful to realize there are ups and downs to recovery. The lows will slowly become less and less as you heal and regain strength. Realizing the down times are only temporary with a beginning and an end helps keep it in perspective. I hope PT helps you but please don't do anything in PT that hurts. Your body is healing and it's not a "no pain, no gain" type of situation. If you find you're overdoing it, take a step back, you can always return. Take-it-slow.
Thank you for sharing BoneSmart with your surgeon. It's appreciated.
Best wishes as you continue healing. Stay in touch.
@Trudijane
 
Thank you! I will definitely stay in touch and read the stories of newcomers and see how everybody is doing.
The best thing that my surgeon told me was that I'm at the point where it's almost certain that the hip cannot detach from where it was placed; so that there is much more that I can do now that I probably think. I'm still unwilling to cross my leg entirely, but I can cross them (to a certain extent) without pain. I can probably do more, but gradually.

And those recliner chairs that I got a few weeks ago have been a godsend.
You have all helped me SO much.
 
Hi, I haven't checked in awhile and I wanted to respond to someone's post who was wondering when the 'fatique' would go away. I can't answer that one, because I seem to have the same problem and do no understand why. It seems like I am always tired, no matter how much sleep I've gotten, or exercise, or resting. When I do too much, I get VERY tired, and have to lie down.

I also want to mention that I started Physical Therapy last week, despite the different opinions of whether it works or not. I find that for me, it is a little bit of a waste of time because I was there maybe 15 minutes and shown 2 simple stretching exercises to do to stretch those muscles I haven't used in awhile. I could have just as easily got the pictures and done it at home. The one thing that it does do is give me a little bit more confidence. I was so afraid to cross my right leg (still am to a certain extent) to put that sock on, but the stretch I'm supposed to do shows me that I can do it - I'm just afraid to do it becaused it feels so inflexible.

I force myself to take a walk (in between resting) every day. But, when I walk too much, my back feels kind of stiff and there are a lot of different kind of aches in different muscle groups that I wonder why they are there. So, I'm still on the roller coaster only the hills aren't that steep as they were.

I also see that I have gained too much weight. After my hip replacement, I wore mainly my stretch pants - loose clothing. Now that I can get dressed, all my clothes are bit tight...I suppose that comes from lying around for 3 months and eating ice cream uncontrollably. So, I'm also on the upward fight of losing the weight altho I forgot how to go on a diet. Anybody else gain weight? I'm only 5'2 so on me it shows!!

Today I'm particularly tired. No idea why....
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom