United StatesThanks @Jockette. Very helpful!I have low back issues also and I refused to do any exercises that would make my back hurt.And also dealing with low back pain when I do some exercises, like bridges, or laying down marches. What is Your experience?
I was never asked to do bridges, or laying down marches, so apparently they are not essential for this recovery.
If any exercise hurts, don’t do it.
![]()
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
You will have noticed there is a significant opinion here about the potential hazards of PT. You may feel that your therapists are experts and know what you should be doing. However, over the last several years I've been here, I have observed that the more intensive the regimen of exercising...bonesmart.org
United States@Niezy, there is no way I could have done the second one at 2 weeks. I had significant swelling with my first knee and about 30 degrees of motion at 2 weeks. The earliest my surgeon would have done it is 3 months, and then, only if I was doing really well and recovery fast. 5 months was early to do the second in my opinion, but my knee wasn’t getting any better and my undone knee was failing worse, so, I did the second one at 5 months.Is there a reason you waited so long between the replacements? My doctor told me I can get a second knee two weeks after my first one!Hello everyone, I had a tkr on April 19. My first tkr left was November 11. Wow was this second one more painful. I’m eager to learn how you are managing.
United StatesMuch worse for the second one.How is the pain in your first knee compared to your second knee?
United States
United StatesSome of us just take longer than others to regain flexion. Here is a chart of progress of another member whose ROM returned slowly. At 9 months, he was about where you are, but -- as you can see -- continued to gain flexion into his second year!What is your experience gaining greater flexion?

After a very slow first year, my ROM improved quite a lot in my second year.What is your experience gaining greater flexion?
United StatesSorry I did not see this until now. The pain in my second knee was much worse in the beginning. Now, it’s about equal. It’s mostly just stiffness.How is the pain in your first knee compared to your second knee?
United StatesOops, I did answer. It evened out.Sorry I did not see this until now. The pain in my second knee was much worse in the beginning. Now, it’s about equal. It’s mostly just stiffness.How is the pain in your first knee compared to your second knee?
United StatesYes it does!The waiting for improvement is hard, and improvement happens!
United States
United Kingdom
I am 6 months post my PKR and still find stairs tricky.Walking is easy. What remains a puzzle and has increased a little in the last few months is going up and down stairs. It always hurts. It's usually not terrible, though it's enough to discourage me
United States