Guest viewing is limited

TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Clipless Hope you eye is better and that it is not a detached retina. Do you get visual disturbances with your migraines? I get them very infrequently but they are most unpleasant and disconcerting but I don't get the headaches just feel a bit out of it for a few hours. I do hope yours turns out to be the migraine effects.

Keep us informed
 
Oh my you need to get to the eye dr as soon as possible. I had a tear in my retina many years ago and waited to see the doctor the next day. He said I was lucky and that I should have seen him the minute I was having symptoms. I had a laser procedure of about fifty hits that repaired the retina. That has been 14 years ago! Get your retina checked right away!
 
I'm fine! The doctor explained everything very well. What I have is called "Posterior Vitreous Retraction". Basically a bubble of sorts is tugging on my retina, and that's what causes the flashes. This condition may lead to a hole, a rip, or a detachment, then again it might not, and all is well for now. The doctor reassured me and described danger signs to watch for. @numbzee I'm glad your vision was saved!

Whale watching will have to wait.
 
Whew! you had me worried so glad to hear it is not an emergency and you are now aware and know what to do if it happens again.
 
@Clipless glad all is well with your vision and hope it stays that way. You have enough going on with your knee and facing a return to work soon.
 
We missed the whales, but we went to the beach anyway and it was beautiful!
[Bonesmart.org] 8 Month Update
 
@Clipless I too had an eye episode similar to yours a couple of months ago. I started getting shooting clouds coming across my eye and then they'd gently float back again. I too went to my doctor quickly and then optometrist. I have developed floaters which they said were ok but if I started to see flashes of falling black rain then I was to go back immediately. I had a couple of different tests for detaching retina and both were negative. But its was so scary. Cost me over $1,000 because I also got an eye test and needed new glasses.

Glad to hear your knee has improved greatly.
 
@SuperSnapper you get migraine auras without the migraine?? I'm glad you don't get migraines, as they are terrible. I've had them since age 12, and some so severe that I've been reduced to crawling on hands and knees. Auras have included overwhelming fatigue, blank spots in my visual field, tunnel vision, and a painful kaleidoscope of colors when I close my eyes. I also used to "hear" auditory auras: snatches of music over & over, distant conversation, and sounds as if someone were dropping metal re-bar behind me. I'd also get slurred speech, tingley hands, and one droopy eyelid. Lovely, right?

My migraines, happily, mostly faded after menopause. I still get them, but they're not so severe (knock on wood!).

Today is my three month a-knee-versay! Yesterday, during and after our walk along the beach (about a half-mile), knee was swollen, stiff & sore. Actually, it was to start, and as a result my quads weren't firing well, adding to my overall discomfort <SIGH>.
 
Nuts isn't it? The first time I got the visual disturbance was so weird - I was in morning assembly with my class watching the headteacher talking and realised I could only see half of him! That only happened once but I get an odd light in my field of vision on one side that flashes , I can see it when my eye isclosed. It gradually develops into jagged flashing lines blue and White and black that get bigger and bigger and the eventually disappear .
When I was younger I got the migraines without the aura but now ,and it's only very infrequently, I get the aura. It lasts about half an hour and goes away with no headache but I feel terribly tired.
Yours sound much worse! My husband and both sons have dreadful migraines but my daughter has escaped them.
Hope you knee soreness goes quickly. I read somewhere else that walking on the beach is hard on your knees .
Happy three month anniversary.
 
@Clipless congrats on 3 months. We are planning a beach trip in May. I wondered how hard it would be walking in the sand. I may have missed it but have you returned to work? I remember that was a concern because of the physical demands of your job.
 
@Minnie's knees , yes my job is physically demanding, but I'm not back yet. I'll see my OS for clearance Jan 29th and I'm due back to work the first week of February. I think I'll be okay, though I have a few concerns. I still have the occasional (rare) foward buckle due to lingering quad weakness. So far I've always managed to catch myself, but I worry about falling at work and/or endangering a patient -heaven forbid!. My other concern is pain/swelling. These are 12 hr shifts and I can't phase my return to work. However, I had a nice talk with my supervisor, who offered to spread my shifts out such that I'm one day on, one day off for a while and see how it goes. So anyway, we'll see. I've had two good days in a row- walking fairly normally, etc. Hoping this continues.

Friday was my first beach walk since surgery and I did okay considering I was having a bad knee day. My daughter and I walked a little ways down a bike path, then onto the actual beach. I didn't plan to walk on the sand, but the sun was setting and it was so warm & beautiful, I just had to. My daughter ran ahead to the water, so I was tasked with getting myself down a few steep wooden steps. A kindly older gentleman saw me struggling and rushed over to lend his hand. We had a brief chat; he was a BTKR recipient! Anyway, those steps were the hard part. Ventura has such thick, fluffy sand I figured I wouldn't get hurt even if I fell. There was one exciting moment where I had to "surf" down a little sand dune, but I was fine. The scariest thing, honestly, was crossing the railroad tracks twice on the bike path. I'm fearful around train tracks in the best of times, and I was terrified I'd fall and get stuck or something- irrational thoughts. :(

Kathy, by May you should be fine at the beach as long as you don't try to walk long distances on dry sand. Maybe walk along water's edge where the sand is firm. You deserve a relaxing vacation at the beach.

I don't know why I was having such a bad day Friday. It sucks when that happens. For the past several weeks I was having more bad days than good. This weekend, however, was all good. It is a welcome change!
 
Sorry to.jump in but hey couldn't help my.self. I think (I do occasionally) that as months trickle by.and the.last remnants of the.physical recovery nag away its a.downer as in our mind the first months we.made huge strides. So we expect.still things to sort. It seems.to me you are still.making strides just look.to the.surfing down.a.dune I'm impressed and a tad jealous.
Oh btw you didn't mention knee pain on that walkso.either none or the walk and its enjoyment outweighed any discomfort.
Ok sensible bit over back being silly.self
Oh hope you.didn't mind me.gstecrashing

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Clipless glad you had a good time at the beach with your daughter. I love walking on the beach early morning and at sunset. It is so peaceful and relaxing. You are doing so well in your recovery. The quad weakness will take more time but it will get there. I am glad your supervisor is willing to work with you on your schedule. 12 hour days are hard enough but worse with physical demands. Just plan on doing nothing after work and on your days off for the first couple of weeks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you try some mini squats while in the shower it may help to strengthen them..I crank up the shower pretty hot and massage my quads and do squats ....helps..

Vince
 
@Legin , also @vinny & Kathy, Thank you so much. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Ha ha, my "sand dune" was all of 3 feet high but it felt enormous to me! Friday's walk was indeed painful with every single step through the joint and in the back of the knee. It was swollen, too and I was limping. I could tell my quad wasn't firing- it gives up when there's swelling or pain, probably a vicious cycle. It was a worthwhile walk regardless, just a bad day, knee-wise. The very next day (Saturday) I took one extra-strength Tylenol before hiking and felt much better, quad firing. Yesterday I passed on a longer hike to a grotto. Beautiful place, but I am not ready for boulder-scrambling!

My daughter is flying back to Texas tomorrow. I will miss her, but we are planning to jeep around Arizona in the spring. :)
 
@Clipless, Hi Diana! Thank you for visiting my thread. I just caught up on yours and you have done extremely well. I'm so glad that your eye is okay so far. In your thread you mentioned a few times about walking with your
little dog. Have you had this dog for awhile or did you give in to that puppy? I'm a sucker for dogs. They are so much company and are so like people. My Yorki, Rusty, is so spoiled and is just like a toddler. Affectionate as can be but also headstrong. I hope you continue to improve and will be able handle going back to work in a couple of weeks. Take care. Anne
 
Hi @Yorkimom ! Yes, I share your love for dogs. I have two little rescues- unrelated spaniel mix females. They are wonderful companions, and so in tune with the family. One of them hikes with me sometimes, but she's small and I worry about a coyote or mountain lion grabbing her right off the leash. I was considering a border collie puppy that would grow into an awesome trail dog, but I hesitated and someone else bought him. In retrospect I am glad- bringing in a new dog would have been a spectacularly bad idea. I could barely take care of myself. :)
 
Both of mine are.rescue dogs. Both mutts full of character and very loving. How are you today.clipless

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom