TKR 70somethingsusa in recovery

Hi Jockette: I have taken the antihistamine in Tylenol PM, yes it kept me awake so I didn't take any.
I did try Aleve the last couple of nights .It has provided a much better sleep.
I remember having dry eyes! They were so painful!
Had to have eyedrops beside bed, when I opened my eyes.
Interesting thing, when I stopped eating meat and dairy, dry eyes went away!
 
Very interesting, thanks!
 
I actually prefer Aleve PM to Tylenol PM, but that's me. (And my eye doc just diagnosed me with dry eyes, so maybe I have Tylenol PM to blame for that! :bored: !!)
 
Happy 3 month kneeversary to me.!
Hard to belive the baby knee is three months old today!
To say recovery so far has not, on some days been challenging would be a lie!
I have followed the Bonesmart regime for the most part.I have decided to start strengthening exercises very gradually, every other day, will see how it goes!
My ROM is improving,(I don't know numbers )
but I can bend further.
I am unable to do full circle on bike pedal yet.
Can walk up and down stairs with minimal "pull" on the knee.
The further I walk the better the knee feels, within a few blocks.
Swelling comes and goes, depending on activity...only 1/3 of the way on this journey.
 
Happy anniversary, indeed! Just knowing and "feeling" the improved bending is such a good feeling. I couldn't do full circle on a bike pedal for weeks, then one day--- there it was (a lot was mind over matter for me). Your stairs progress is inspiring! Well done, keep going, and I'm working right along with you. :wave:
 
:wow: Great report 60something! BoneSmart works! Just go slow with the strengthening exercises and back off if you feel pain. Keep us posted.
 
:wow: Great report 60something! BoneSmart works! Just go slow with the strengthening exercises and back off if you feel pain. Keep us posted.
Sisterpat: Yes, thank you!
We grandsit our 2 1/2 year old grandson, 2 days weekly again. He is a busy boy! Walking to our little park , swing pushing, helping on the slide, walking in gravel, has proved a bit much on the knee! Back to icing again, taking analgesic.Feeling better today .Me thinks this may be exercise enough for these days!.
 
Happy anniversary, indeed! Just knowing and "feeling" the improved bending is such a good feeling. I couldn't do full circle on a bike pedal for weeks, then one day--- there it was (a lot was mind over matter for me). Your stairs progress is inspiring! Well done, keep going, and I'm working right along with you. :wave:
waving back at you Atkinson8 !
 
Here I am again, with another follow-up.
Surgery (L.T.K.R.) was on June 1.
The knee has been progressing slowly and steadily, most weeks. Morning stiffness is the norm, walking helps.
I don't know my numbers, I do know I no longer have to adjust the car seat to get my leg in or out.
I am now able to walk 45 minutes every other day with no night-time discomfort.
I stopped taking Aleve a few weeks ago, due to sensory side-effects. Taking Glucosamine/ chondroitan, find its helpful for any discomfort.
I had a visit with my O.S.today.My X-rays showed everything where it needs to be, the hardware has nicely moved in to the knee, good space at knee cap.
I will see him again in a year, when we will assess the other knee.
He agrees that it is a 1,-2 year recovery, that that ROM will improve, now is the time to build up quads, to strengthen to support the new knee.
Thanks again to Bonesmart listen to your bodies, they know best.
 
So glad your appointment went well and your OS is satisfied with your progress. Yes, we must listen to our bodies and allow them to recover on their schedule, not ours!
 
5 month kneeversary today.Weather is becoming colder, frost on the roads.Must go and get some good walking/hiking boots.
Walking 5 days week now, bought a low tech pedometer ,distance is 1.8 km(almost 3 miles).
Still can't pedal bike in one whole revolution, that's ok, I'm ok with it. It's been put away for winter now.
Each day I'm walking, I feel so blessed.
 
@60somethingsusa you are doing very well for only 5 months out. You will get there on that pedal bike - just give it time. Well done on the walking!
 
Admin, please change user name to 70 somethingsusa
Just celebrated my 6 month kneeversary on December 1.
Had a setback with my right foot, whilst walking.on Nov.11.
After step 3000, Sudden onset of right foot pain , in the ball of the foot, couldn't weight bear without great difficulty.Walked a few steps, had to sit( on my cane chair), then a few more steps til home( I was about half a km. from home, without my cellphone).
I diagnosed myself with metatarsalgia , and could not weight bear.This imbalance of course , negatively affected my new baby knee.
I picked up custom orthotics on Monday, gradually breaking them in for next 2 weeks.
New left knee feeling more stable, pain and swelling decreasing in right foot...definitely hobbling now.
Next step is new winter boots, that have good grip...
So , we never know, we just need to take each moment as it comes.
I still have 2 legs, they still go one in front of the other, for that I am blessed.
 
I am so sorry to hear about your setback, but it certainly sounds like you made a safe self-diagnosis Dr. 70something and are on your way to better balance and walking. Good luck with the boots.
 
June 1...My one year kneeversary!!!
Woot! Woot! Reading back over my entries, shows the ups, downs and progress this new knee has provided. So many activities I couldn't do.!
Loving being back in the garden, planting, taking long walks, finally the ability to ride my bike.! I didn't try to peddle it at all during winter...I got on it last week, have been peddling now twice daily.!!
Thanks again to all those here!
BoneSmart is the only way .
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom