TKR 70somethingsusa in recovery

Sister Pat, thanks for your concern and guidance! No, I am not working with surgeon or physician, in terms of gummies.
These contain no THC, only CBD.I am not taking any herbals til I see the surgeon on July 15th.I take Tylenol twice daily, and a small dose Ramipril 2.5 mg.
I plan on using them for a short time frame, and take 10 mg. twice daily.
 
Yesterday I walked outside in our gardens, a few times on very uneven ground, using my cane, I was expecting my knee to let me know at bedtime..it was all good! So nice to be outside in fresh air more.Im glad I got the knee done this time of year, rather than winter.
 
Fresh air just makes you feel better, doesn't it. At least for you (and I) it does. I like to sit on the patio and just 'be.' I have absolutely no science to back it up, but sunshine and fresh air need to be on everyone's recovery, IMO.

Please be careful with the unlevel grass. I had an indoor walker and and outdoor one. I just kept it by the back door to help me be extra steady.

Slow and steady your getting there. The knee is the boss, as you well know.
 
Fresh air just makes you feel better, doesn't it. At least for you (and I) it does. I like to sit on the patio and just 'be.' I have absolutely no science to back it up, but sunshine and fresh air need to be on everyone's recovery, IMO.

Please be careful with the unlevel grass. I had an indoor walker and and outdoor one. I just kept it by the back door to help me be extra steady.

Slow and steady your getting there. The knee is the boss, as you well know.
That's a great idea to use the walker for now.Surgery was June1.
 
Sounds like you are doing great 60something ! Forge ahead, but slow and steady!
 
Well, I was going to come here and share my anxiety about flexion , just at 90 degrees, at 5 weeks.Realized that so many are at the same level.When you read posts, that say time, time to heal, etc etc, however, when it's your body that is experiencing it, it's feels more urgent. Fear, I suppose, "what if "I suppose".
Generally, there is improvement with the exercises (standing knee bend, calf stretches ,passive knee bending,side to side weight transfers,forward and back weight transfers, toe heel up, one leg balance. ), done twice daily.
Everything is improving, except flexion, knee is soooooo tight.
 
Early early days @60somethingsusa. No need to stress, ROM will come as swelling goes down. One month into a 12-18 month recovery, you are doing fine.
 
Everything is improving, except flexion, knee is soooooo tight.
You could cut those exercises down to once a day, and/or not every day, to give your knee a rest.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
^Yes, doing some bending type exercise is great, but your knee is still a in "toddler" stage.:wink:
It still needs lots of rest to allow that swelling to come down.
Congrats on hitting 90 and hang in there!
 
Thanks Jockette! I did cut down.Yesterday, I walked on our cul de sac, and in our yard, for about 20 minutes total.
 
Yesterday I took a break from all the passive exercises I have been doing. Only walked.
Today I went to physio, the dreaded flexion test(wink), has improved by 10 degrees to 100!
I have been 2 stepping up and down stairs for 5 years.Physio put a belt around my waist, I WALKED DOWN 6 STEPS, 4 TIMES!!!!!
UNBELIEVABLE!!!@
 
6 week visit with the O.S.
I was anxious about the visit, thinking(according to physio) that progress was very poor, and I needed to work harder.
Of course, I have learned, that's untrue,rest, ice and elevation are the key.


O.S in very pleased with progress!! The knees flexion is perfect at 100 degrees, as BoneSmart has been saying, as the swelling decreases, flexion will increase in next 3 months.He said he's more concerned about extension than flexion. ( 0)

He said swelling correlates with seriousness of arthritis, how much work he had to do. In my case , it was seriously compromised work was extensive , inflammation rampant BEFORE surgery.
Xrays done prior to visit, showed bone has accepted replacement.
I can drive legally!!
 
That's a great 6-week update. :yes!: :yay:

I'm so pleased your surgeon was happy with your ROM.
I think physios have a vested interest in getting fast progress with ROM numbers - it's something they can show, to prove that their ministrations have been effective.

Your ROM will continue to improve as time passes and your knee heals.
 
60something, EXCELLENT! Another BoneSmart success story! Keep up the good work!
 
Yay, 60Something! It sounds like you are doing well, coming along with the Bonesmart way!

I liked the grandchild's skateboard idea! My granddaughter's scooter is in my garage and I think I'll get it out to try as a wheeled flexion device! She will just say, "Grammmmie!!" But, she has moved on to roller skating now, plus the scooter is way too small for her...
 
60something you seem to be doing great I look forward to being able to walk on my deck but just wish the surgery was sooner as I'm not a good waiter.
Julia
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom