TKR 70somethingsusa in recovery

Wonderful news about your progress! Keep it up the BoneSmart tried-and-true way!
 
That's a great 6-week update. :yes!: :yay:

I'm so pleased your surgeon was happy with your ROM.
I think physios have a vested interest in getting fast progress with ROM numbers - it's something they can show, to prove that their ministrations have been effective.

Your ROM will continue to improve as time passes and your knee heals.
Thank-you Celle, Sister Pat, BBCG, and Jaspa!
This has been a week of confirmations on this journey!
I was able to do full rotation today on physios recumbent bike, a few times!
I was shown how to do aquaexercises, in physio pool, in preparation for, one day, going to the pool in our city. and...
drumroll....officially passed the tests that physio tested me on., (sit/stand timing, walking safely from sitting -walking-sitting)..safely.
I passed the tests within time frames and have been officially discharged from physio, continuing now to do at home program.
As someone who also has a diagnosis of Orthostatic Tremor, this is huge for me, realizing that I could be successful thus far.
I am so blessed to have found Bonesmart, and thank everyone for their stories and insights.
 
Nice work 60something! I'm one day ahead of you (or behind: surgery June 2) and have my OS check up tomorrow. Fingers crossed that I'm given the ok to drive as well. Let's remember though, often driving means walking (errands, etc.) - I need to constantly remind myself not to overdo it (I often ignore those reminders), and although driving will give us some very welcome freedom, our knee is still a work in progress. :tada:
 
Atkinson8: Although I have been given the OK to drive, I haven't.I drive a standard, while I trust my toddler knee to drive, I don't yet trust the reaction time, should I need to make an emergency stop.
And yes, remaining at home, with my husband driving forces me to stay put. As a full fledged member of the ODIC, this is not a bad thing.
 
I have been thinking about the last few days, since I was given such a great O.S report, and graduated to home P.T.
I wish to nominate myself as president of ODIC!
It's like everything I learned here fell away, and I forgot I was only a few weeks into many.
I have been up far too much, not elevating, not icing, swelling was increasing, pain was increasing, and I was not honoring my new knee.
I have decided to read Bonesmart, in the morning, every morning, as I drink morning tea.
It puts me on track for the day.
I did that today, have been icing, elevating, walking, every hour.
My knee is happy today.
 
8 weeks today.!
This has been challenging .!!
I didn't have pain b4 surgery, only sometimes when walking, now the knee aches, throbs, is tight everyday.It certainly is wearing on the psyche.
I have been blessed to have little pain, during my whole life, and now I wake with it, go to sleep with it, despite icing, elevating, and analgesic.
The knee remains tight, and swollen.
Thanks for listening my my 8 week anniversary whine.
 
Hey, this is a challenging journey we’re on. I thought I was ready for it, but so far it’s all pain, all day. So I’ll join you on the whiny bench. Hope we’ll look back on it and laugh next summer!
 
I didn't have pain b4 surgery, only sometimes when walking, now the knee aches, throbs, is tight everyday.It certainly is wearing on the psyche.
Before surgery your leg hadn’t been surgically assaulted. Tightness and pain is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
 
Hi 60something - I'm at 8 weeks today, so we've made it this far. The good news is, you new knee is fine. The other news is, it takes a long time for anything non-bone (or titanium) to get back to where it was. I feel the discomfort (now that I know what a category 10 pain is) at night, and have to wake more than a few times to get ice, which helps. During the day, I'll walk some, I just came back from weeding a failed vegetable garden, and I'll do a few errand, but that's about it. Then it's elevating and ice. I'll go up and down stairs a few times (it's hard). I'm glad I don't have to go back to work until Sept. 1st. Hang in there, and if we need to whine, this is the place to do it!
 
8 weeks today.!
This has been challenging .!!
I didn't have pain b4 surgery, only sometimes when walking, now the knee aches, throbs, is tight everyday.It certainly is wearing on the psyche.
I have been blessed to have little pain, during my whole life, and now I wake with it, go to sleep with it, despite icing, elevating, and analgesic.
The knee remains tight, and swollen.
Thanks for listening my my 8 week anniversary whine.
Welcome to the pain gang! That being said, I think you are having a great outcome and it seems you are on track to be feeling real good on your new knee.
 
Hi 60something - I'm at 8 weeks today, so we've made it this far. The good news is, you new knee is fine. The other news is, it takes a long time for anything non-bone (or titanium) to get back to where it was. I feel the discomfort (now that I know what a category 10 pain is) at night, and have to wake more than a few times to get ice, which helps. During the day, I'll walk some, I just came back from weeding a failed vegetable garden, and I'll do a few errand, but that's about it. Then it's elevating and ice. I'll go up and down stairs a few times (it's hard). I'm glad I don't have to go back to work until Sept. 1st. Hang in there, and if we need to whine, this is the place to do it!
Atkinson8: Thanks for your comments.At times I am philosophical, knowing this is going to be a long journey, on other days, I get so fed up! Yesterday was one of those days.It seems I can do so little without pain, swelling, tightness.
Sleeplessness is another factor, waking up repeatedly, repositioning, or getting up, simply to walk,to decrease discomfort and aching.
It may be that I simply struggle to accept things ,as they are, wanting them to be different, which causes even more suffering.!
 
The lack of good sleep can significantly impact our patience with the healing process. At 8 weeks out, if you are off your heavier meds, you might try Tylenol PM at night to help you sleep a little better. I found it took some of the edge off the pain and if I did have to get up, made it easier to fall back asleep. Might be worth a try. Just remember to include the amount of mgs in your count if taking Tylenol during the day so you don't exceed daily limits.
 
8 weeks today.!
This has been challenging .!!
I didn't have pain b4 surgery, only sometimes when walking, now the knee aches, throbs, is tight everyday.It certainly is wearing on the psyche.
I have been blessed to have little pain, during my whole life, and now I wake with it, go to sleep with it, despite icing, elevating, and analgesic.
The knee remains tight, and swollen.
Thanks for listening my my 8 week anniversary whine.
I am 8 weeks today. June 10, 2021. My legs were in very good condition, downhill skiing over 100 days for many years. Like you, I controlled my pain with 1 Tylenol, 1 Advil each morning AND THEN, surgery. Can't sleep and the rest is same as you.
 
Thanx NightQuilter! I took 8/60 of the hydromorphone,originally ordered.They kept me awake. I will try the Tylenol PM, see if it keeps me awake! Falling back to sleep is a challenge too isn't it!?
 
ski_bum: Thanks for the reply!
Your experience helps put things in perspective for me.
I am not a ski person, that just shows what excellent condition you were in pre-op.
We will get through this,!!.
 
I will try the Tylenol PM, see if it keeps me awake!
One thing I found that I didn’t like about Tylenol PM, the antihistamine in it really dried my eyes out! I have dry eyes, anyway, and I didn’t even think about it, and I guess because I didn’t actually need that feature for its intended purpose, the antihistamine had nothing to work on, so it really dried out my already dry eyes. My eyes were actually a bit painful the next morning. And for me, it didn’t help me sleep. Now I have a whole bottle I won’t be using.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom