Revision THR 6 Weeks post-Op with Locking Ring due to Dislocation

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's better! So I end up with this picture, yes?

Laura.jpg

I would suggest the following
1. is very likely Trochanteric bursitis
2. I have no idea!
3. also likely to be Piriformis syndrome

Both 1 and 2 are very common complications after hip surgery and of doing to much PT!
Hope this helps and that you have a

:merry xmas:​
Thank you Jo!
They Resonate with me...
Especially #1. Knees hurting and periodic glute pain.
Some burn around incision, but Zero red or infection.

I will keep doing Ice, Back off of Exercise.
THANK YOU so very much....
MERRY AND HAPPY XMAS TO YOU!
Laura

Hi there Laura honey - just dropped by to let you know I am thinking of you as I know you are on your own :)

:mer xm: Hugs xx

Hi Poppet!

Merry Xmas! I spent the day with a Co-worker. Good buddy! Thank you for checking in. I'm resisting going for the X-ray, as it will be Out-of-Pocket. But I think I will, anyway. Rain here, so of course that makes matters worse. Pain is tolerable. I just feel like a Metal Puppet! :hissy:

Hugs back! Laura P

So pleased you didn't spend the day alone Laura @LPLaura - I am hearing you about the rain.... Woke up this morning to grey, grey skies, rain and pain (Hmm! It even rhymes!). I read somewhere that some folk who have had joint replacements feel the pain more with weather and barometric changes!

I understand about your reluctance to have the x-ray, maybe wait and see if the reduction in the activity with the kids helps xx

p.s. hope you can drop by the NYE online party in the social room.

January 10, 2014, Friday

I wish I had better news to Report, but I don't...
Today I saw a local Ortho Surgeon on Okinawa, where I am working.
X-ray shows serious Problems; Misalignment of Hip Joint with Locking Ring, Broken Ring inside. Roughly 10 degrees off.
And I am limping. And now back on Pain meds. No exercise.

So...Here is where I need Feedback.

I live in the US. My Surgeon has operated on this hip 2x, now. He does not do any new technique and is of the old school.
I am getting Referral from a Doc friend of mine down in the city, who has had hip and knee done before age of 50. So much Less Invasive than the 2 foot Scar which has been opened 2x on my Right thigh.

I'm crushed, I'm sad. I'm just Praying that someone will appear that can fix it once and for all. The Locking ring is in there.
The other thing...As Self-Employed I am now applying for Insurance. USA has new Healthcare Plans. Still has Commercial Plans as well.
Not sure which route to go. The Pre-Existing I HOPE does not apply.
If not, I have no clue.

SIGH....Friends. This Hip has been a problem since day 1. The GOOD NEWS.
My Left hip Replacement is looking GREAT! I saw it on the X-ray.

Needless to say...I will not be going to Germany for 3 months, upcoming. I just don't think I can take a risk of being out of Country AND playing/working with children.

I'm not alone. I will ask for all the help I can get, back home.
I have lots of friends that will rally around. I won't make the Mistake I made last time.
Staying alone and trying to care for myself.

Well, I'm gonna Cry tonight.
And then I'm gonna BELIEVE that someone can fix this botched Job?

Thank you Hipster folks. I'm down tonight.
Laura P

Hi @LPLaura, I am going to tag @Josephine for you - I am so, so sorry dear friend...

You will get through this, stick with us and we will share your journey and help you x

Thank you Poppet. Thank GOD for you all. I can't believe this. But perhaps it will work out in the long run? I have to have the Faith. And I had such a good Report a few months ago....

Love and Thank you!

Well, I was kind of right with #2. I did have no idea but my guts were telling me joint, joint, but lacking anything more specific to say I decided to say nothing. I was thinking maybe a loose implant but not a broken ring! :doh: Never heard of that happening before. I shall tag @Jamie as she has a list of possibilities from chaps she's met at conferences.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would have a good weep also. Bless your heart. What a blow.

Thanks Jo :)

Good morning @LPLaura, I was pleased we were able to chat via email in the same time zone last night.. I am sure in the light of today your logical mind will sort it out. So pleased you have some decent pain cover to get you through the next two weeks and the flight home. We can talk when you are back in the US my good friend.

Hugs, love and prayers xxx

Laura, I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you. Please take good care of yourself until you get back here in the states. Tell me what part of the country you will be coming home to...maybe the city if you don't mind so I can see if there is a surgeon I can link you up with. You're going to need some special care. BUT....don't get discouraged!!! We'll help you find someone who can deal with whatever is going on in there. Your job is to keep the faith.

Hi Jamie!

I am heading back to Atlanta. I have referral to Resurgeons from a physician colleague who used them. Can't think of Doc's name right now. I am still pretty shocked, but getting better!
I have Great friends and this Site has really taught me a LOT!
Thank YOU! Laura

Hi Jo!

Yes a blow...But you know what? I have so much more knowledge, now, thanks to you all on BoneSmart.org. And I have great friends. I am up for whatever may come, as long as my insurance kicks in soon :) I am wondering if faulty parts are a culprit here, and am exploring Zimmer. Not sure what part #'s, as the records are back home (overseas).
I have already left message back home for OS, requesting record prep for transfer. Get that ball rolling. I'm not invested in blame. Just want a GOOD FIXER !!!!
You know what I mean? THANK YOU! Tears done. That's okay!
Laura

Laura, if you decide you'd like to have more than one opinion and want some help with finding a surgeon, just let me know.

Hi Jamie,
I would love your referral in the Atlanta/North area! Specialty in complicated revision/hip replacements with locking ring.... What a mess, Jamie.
I live in Marietta/Cobb Co. BCBS coverage effective Feb 1, 2014 :)):)

Thank you! Look forward to your Input! Laura

Hi there Laura, just thinking of you! and here you are - how was today?

I am so pleased you have started the ball rolling with a few things.. Good to be in control..

Stay strong honey, I just know you are going to be ok xxxx

No, it's not fault parts, just faulty insertion. Any device will suffer damage if it's not applied correctly. They need to be aligned symmetrically otherwise one side will be subjected to stresses it wasn't designed to cope with.

And your hip won't be that complicated as all revision surgeons will be familiar with locking rings - it would be a bit like asking a car mechanic if he good at fitting brake linings! :wink:

I think you need to drive at least to Atlanta. I didn't see any clinics in Marietta that had revision surgeons on staff.

Here are two possibilities on the north side of Atlanta at the PeachTree Orthopedic Clinic:

George N. Guild III, M.D.

Allen McDonald, III, MD

Kinda funny....both of them are "III"s.....must be something to that saying "Third time is the charm."

I don't have any direct knowledge of these surgeons, so I would appreciate your feedback if you see either or both of them. Both appeared to specialize in complex hip revision surgery, so they should be a good option for an opinion.

Thank goodness for Jamie - good luck with the next phase Laura - not long now before you head back state side x

Jo...That is So Encouraging...Do you really think it should be non-Invasive? I can't take the thought of being cut up the side of my entire thigh, again.
This really gives me renewed hope that it won't be as bad as before...That was such a long, horrible problem after problem.

Thank you for the good words :angel:

Hi Jamie,
I sent a Request Online to set up Appointment. I used BoneSmart.org as Referral source. I should have Benefits after Feb 1. I made it to Open Enrollment in time.

I will let you know how it goes. THANK YOU and Hugs!
Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom