Guest viewing is limited

THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777, hold that celebration! I hurt my back again, don't have any idea how, but nowhere near as badly as the vertebral fracture I recently had. I think it is some kind of muscle pull as the pain is on my right side in the back near my waist, although I felt a threatened spasm across my whole lower back this morning when I woke up and was so stiff and sore. Didn't move into a real spasm, thank goodness. Have cancelled dermatologist, dentist and PT appointments this week, and hope that by the time I see one of the surgeons on Thursday that I will present a healthy enough picture that he won't delay the surgery again. I even cancelled a lunch out with my sister, as I just didn't feel up to it, and don't want to hurt myself more.

And my right hand stopped working for me for about 5 minutes today, finger lock and hand all cramped up. My calves are all tight and crampy. I am a mess. I just need this surgery to be done with so I can take care of myself properly. I have seen so many different doctors over the past year, had so many tests and procedures, and I am just sick of myself being sick and hurt. I've even shed a few tears lately, which I don't usually do. I never even cried once after my THR, maybe not even until about 7 months later when I got really sick. I just didn't have the usual emotional rollercoaster that many have. But now, 14 months later, I am having a harder time. Sigh.
 
Wow Krista!

You are so supportive to everyone here. I had no idea how much you have been through. You are such an inspiration in your attitude and patience, but also your self advocacy skills. So hoping the month of October flies by.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
 
Thanks, @OUCH! I have my folder ready with all of my questions for the surgeon. He is going to be bombarded. I haven't seen him since Feb 18.

I am impressed with how well you are doing so soon after surgery. I had a slow recovery, who knows why, even though I was fairly strong before the op. At ten days out I was still really weak and having lots of difficulties. You sound so darned coherent and energetic! Wishing you a continued strong recovery, and hope for no repeats of that fever.
 
Oh dear @Cynthia777 , that's not fair, not fair at all. You don't deserve to go through all this - spasms in the hand and calves etc.

You give everyone else courage and strength here on bonesmart, and you have a lot of discipline. You have all the right to cry. In fact, I feel like a cry-baby when I cry about things that don't really matter, like when things don't happen out like I planned at work. But you have a reason. Like many of us, I'm not religious but I can send you lots of good wishes, that the spasms will go away and that your hip surgery won't get postponed again, because the wait has been long enough.

I wonder whether you are keeping warm enough. Spasms can be caused by getting cold - or a magnesium deficiency. I think I had both problems a few years ago when I first started jogging intensively. Then, I once had a terrible spasm while swimming hard in freezing cold water and spasms in my calves at night time. Both have gone away. I make sure I eat food that contains magnesium, and I try :) not to get cold. You look thin. You probably get cold easily.

For backache with various underlying causes, they also recommend warm packs over here.

Take care - Constanze.
 
Loving your good wishes, @Constanze! Appreciate your ideas. As far as being thin, well, my face and arms and legs are thin. But my trunk carries a more weight than it should, which may be partly why I have these spine problems at this point in my life. I found heat very nice when I had those spasms/fracture back in 2011, and I might try it again. Just tuck the warm gel pack between my back and the waist support belt.

Had a bad night last night. Slept 5 hours in the recliner, as I don't want to risk side sleeping with most of the pain in my right side. Woke up after hardly moving all that time and was SO stiff and sore, and even had a spasm - just one, not multiples waves going on for minutes like before. I'm taking a muscle relaxant again, and more pain meds. Don't know where or how I will sleep tonight, but will be sitting up wherever I end up. But the hospital bed is coming tomorrow, so maybe that will help. I certainly hope so!
 
@Krista so glad you have a hospital bed on the way. Maybe you can finally get in a good position and get some rest.
 
Krista,
I hope your back problems are short lived. Do you have a TEN's unit, you can try it for the back spasms. If not keep you next PT appointment and ask them for a trial to see if it helps.
Here is an article in the nutrition library about magnesium, I saw Constanze had mentioned it.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/
 
Oh Krista, I'm so so sorry. :-(
You have just been through too much and it's high time you get a break. God only knows, you're are one strong lady! I'm happy to hear you are getting the hospital bed tomorrow! I'm praying you will be able to get some restful sleep. You know I've got you in my prayers sweet lady. xoxoxo
 
Glory and Trumpets! (to quote Sam from Lord of the Rings) I slept in the hospital bed last night, and was in there for 6 ½ hours. I had set my alarm for 3am to get up and walk around a bit to avoid awful stiffness and pain in the morning and to take a med, but I didn't get up and I was ok this morning! A little stiff, yes, and a little pain, yes, but manageable. And I got in and out of the bed myself with the use of the electric raising of the back. Didn't recline all the way flat to sleep, but at a very comfy level for me, and with my feet up, well, it was heavenly. I am dressed and ready to go to see the surgeon. Have my folder with documents and lists and questions. Am eating breakfast and feeling, dare I say it, good! I'm smiling! This will be the first time in 4 days that I have gone out of my house. Sister will drive me to the appointment. Hope he gives green light for surgery. Have to go back in a couple of weeks for pre-op appointment, and will need pre-op testing (for the third time) and to see my GP for surgical clearance (for the third time). I will hardly step out of this house until those appointments and the surgery.
 
Woo Hoooooo!!!

:happydance::happydance::yes!::yay::egypdance::egypdance::egypdance::dancy::spin::dancy::dancy::thumb::thumb::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I'm so happy for you! What a difference Sleep makes!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your appointment.
 
Yay! @Krista Glad to hear you got some rest! Good luck with your appt! Sending out positive vibes and crossing my fingers for you. :)
 
@Chihuahuan, good sleep is so sweet!
@OUCH!, the appointment went great!
@Tweetybrd, your good vibes and crossed fingers obviously helped!
@Cynthia777, I'm going to bed early tonight just to luxuriate in comfort!

I have the go-ahead for my gluteus medius repair and the exploratory on my hip! The surgeon was fine with the iffy shape I am in, with my touchy back, wonky knee and hand, and compromised lungs. If they wait for the surgery, I'll just keep getting worse.

Will be having pre-op testing, see my GP for surgical clearance, and then have the pre-op appointments with my surgeon's physician assistant and their PT person to go over use of the brace and how to walk with 20 pound weight bearing again. When they told me before, I was in the middle of the vertebral fracture, and it was all a blur.

So I am going to be the Queen of Caution from now until surgery. I can celebrate while sitting down in my recliner. Four weeks from today the op will be over. I can hardly believe it!

I'm going to go sign up to be an October Feisty. Eeeck!
 
Wonderful news all around! So very happy for you. And really, really glad to hear that you are finally able to get some decent sleep.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom