THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krista! What an ordeal you have had. Sounds like you are on the mend now, though additional surgery I see is looming. Sending you positive and healing thoughts. You were so nice to me during my woeful hip recovery. I just passed one year and am finally feeling hopeful with Greater Trochanteric Bursitis pain diminishing. I will keep checking to see how you are progressing. Take care.
 
@fenway09, glad to hear your pain is diminishing, finally! Hope you recover to the point you have NO pain. So your situation was definitely some kind of soft-tissue problem? What did you do to help it to get better, if I might ask, if anything? Sometimes just not asking too much of your body and allowing it to heal can work wonders.

I am feeling better after the vertebral fracture, and then the additional back pain set-back. All systems go for hip surgery on October 27. I will be sliding into post-op with barely a second thought (except for lots more pain and weakness), since I have gone back full-time to using grabbers, long-handled shoe horn, shower chair, raised toilet and now a hospital bed. I am feeling good enough to do a little decorating for Halloween, and that cheers me up. Will take it all down before surgery and put up a few Christmas/Holiday things to greet me when I return from post-op rehab. Thanks for your good wishes, and please accept mine to you as well!
 
wonderful, wonderful news! Wishing you all of the best over the next 4 weeks..
wonderful news!!:yahoo: :praying: :yahoo: :praying:
 
Hey, @Cynthia777, thanks for asking. I am hunkering down and lying low. My back is acting up again, so I am going nowhere, just sitting in my recliner, sleeping badly, doing computer things and sewing, and taking meds again. I have my pre-op appointment with the surgeon's office tomorrow, and will see the PT to get instructions about the brace again. In 10 days it will be done. I am worried about going into this with a bad back. But my husband is trying to cheer me up, being very helpful with my bathing and dressing. I think that my back's problems are exacerbated by the bad hip/glutes and being disabled for the last 15 months. Trying to continue to be strong.
 
Hi Krista, I'm sorry you've been having such a rollercoaster of a time. I really hope your surgery is transformative and solves many of your problems. Fingers crossed and best wishes for the next few days and the surgery.
 
Feeling better, @Zelda! Pre-Op appointment with the surgeon's Nurse Practitioner and the PT person who went over use of the brace again, went super well! My sister was there with me. Every single one of my questions about pre- and post-op and during the surgery got answered, and I was happy with the answers. I was able to handle wearing the brace and did some practicing of 20 pound weight-bearing, walking and stairs using a crutch.

I requested and got a prescription for a new pain med to last me until surgery. So I have joined the Tramadol club! Took just one over two hours ago, have not got nauseated, and feel some pain relief. Really, I have been hurting all over my body, with the worst spots being my back and the hip. Will see if one pill will be enough, or if I need to take two. Willing to take this slowly at first. Feeling kind of sleepy, but that makes sense because I have been getting horrible sleep lately.

Getting closer... @Cynthia777, I really think the op will happen this time! @dandy_candi, your well wishes are working! @CricketHip, feeling more and more like celebrating! @Miss Muffet, thanks for your happy words, and I'll be cheering for you, as you'll be following me only 12 days after. You be careful, too. Postponements are the worst!

Photo of me smiling after the appointment, pain prescription in hand (all info blocked out)!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'
    IMG_5031.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited by a moderator:
Dear @Krista - just loved that photo :tada:. You've battled through so much and I agree the smile says it all. Hope you get on okay with the Tramadol. I realise you've got a bit of a way to go yet, but if well wishers can get you through then you've plenty! :console2::friends: :cheers:
 
@Krista,
Just read your journey and have to say you are a strong amazing woman who has given me a lot of hope for my recovery. I had a partial knee replacement 5 days ago but have been thru many issues for my age. I will be praying for you on your surgery and recovery!

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
Friends, this tramadol is a trip. After I take it, all my body wants to do is sleep. I admit that I have been VERY sleep deprived lately, so maybe that is a good thing. 4 naps today so far and counting. Appetite has gone down to nothing. The good thing is that I'm not feeling much pain, which is definitely a different state for me!

@hacker0721, gosh, you are so young to have had so many procedures. Sorry for all of your pain and difficulties! So you have had a partial knee replacement. Best wishes to you as you recover from that.

Aww. @Miss Muffet, so looking forward to the day when I can go out with friends and raise a glass, and would love if it could be with you!

@Zelda, I wish I were smiling today! I think I may have to stop the tramadol and just deal with the pain for another week. I fell asleep again while trying to post this reply!
 
I say embrace the sleep for a while. You truly have been sleep deprived for a long time. You will get accustomed to the drowsiness and it will effect you less after a while. If you are getting relief, I say give it some time. Rooting for you :yahoo:!
 
@gullimac, I had to go off the tramadol. Not only did I need to sleep almost all the time, but I felt too sick to eat anything. The few minutes I was awake, I wasn't very coherent either. So I'm doing acetaminophen instead. It doesn't "work" nearly as well for me as ibuprofen does, but I feel a need to take something, and the ibu can't be used the week before surgery. One week to go!

Thanks, @Arlene56! I trust you are doing okay?
 
I hope everything is going as well as can be as you get so close to your date with the surgeon. I will be away from the computer for the next 10 days and when I return you should finally be on the road to real recovery. Hugs and positive thoughts coming your way!
 
@Katiedid2, your well-wishes mean so much to me, thank-you! Hope you are going away for a fun reason, and will talk with you when you return. I might be coherent by then! I will be starting a new recovery thread, but will put a link to it in this thread so you can find me. Take care!
 
@Krista Oh my what a horrible road you have had to travel since your RTHR! Hoping your surgeons can fix you up and you can get back to that active lady that you talked about when you first started this thread almost a year ago! I will keep checking on you. Going to be down myself tomorrow so I hope to have time to read some more of these enlightening posts here.
 
@Krista - you are still SO much on my mind and knowing you are just a couple of days away from surgery makes me happy for you. You've always been there with a kindly word and full of advice and compassion for everyone else so now it's your turn and I hope you're resting up and prepared. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom