Guest viewing is limited

THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh @Krista What a mess this has been for you! I thought I would come on site and find you recouping from your final surgery only to read about the interruption with this kyphoplasty procedure. Took me a while to read through but understand it all now. I'm glad this went well and you are on the mend.

Praying this will be the last of it and you recover nicely from this, regain some strength and proceed with your surgery in October without a hitch!

Your amazing positive attitude deserves a Gold Medal! You continue to inspire us all, but we desperately want to see you healthy, well and on the otherside with us all!

Prayers and Blessings!:SUNsmile:
 
It's been 2 days since the vertebral kyphoplasty, and I am still using my strong pain med and muscle relaxant (at low doses) on a regular basis. Still sleeping sitting up in various locations around the house, with the timer on for an hour, so as not to be in any one position too long. I feel better, but still struggling, being so cautious with every movement. Went with hubby to a craft show at a local mall and clocked a mile with my walker, way more than I have done in weeks. Maybe that's why I am so tired even though I just had a hour's nap! I actually feel best when standing up and walking.

Been trying to figure out which was worse, the sleeping sitting up in bed for the 6 weeks after the THR or this, and decided they are both equally bad. At least after the THR I had hope that I'd be able to lie down and sleep at some point, but this time, I don't know what will happen. Apparently I had a compression fracture of my 12th T vertebra 6 years ago, but I didn't know at that time it was broken. I think I slept on my side during that entire recovery. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and try the side sleeping again soon. I will have to wake my husband a couple of times a night when I do, though, to help me to regain my proper position again after I unconsciously roll slightly to my back (even though surrounded by pillows). He'll have to help me in and out of the bed, too.

I am feeling impatient, since I have not slept lying in bed since July 5. Sigh. I know this forum is about hip replacement and hip surgeries. But this is putting off my hip surgery!
 
Hi Krista,
I'm glad the back surgery is over. It's good to hear of you getting out and about and I really hope you get a good sleep soon. I think you've every right to be a bit impatient - I think you've borne this whole process amazingly well!
 
Just checking in on you Krista. I hope you are improving every day and getting some well deserved sleep. Continuing to send good thoughts and prayers your way.
 
Thanks to all of you, my dear BS friends! I am feeling much better today. Still have long ways to go, but better. I had my first PT appointment today, mostly evaluation and a couple of simple exercises. I need this help, since I am so afraid of triggering the spasms again, that I need someone to support me through how to be able to move more normally. The guy is wonderful, so understanding, listened to everything I said attentively, led me through ways to hold my body straighter and to stop stooping. I need to have a stronger back in order to have the hip surgery and to get through the recovery. We will work a bit on leg strength and arm strength, too, both important for supporting my body in recovery. I know my limits and will not let him hurt me in any way.

I am now sleeping sitting up only (no slouching over the table for sleep anymore!), alternating between the bed and the recliner, a couple of hours in each place, back and forth. Then a nap during the day, so I am getting enough sleep. Tomorrow I see a new doctor for my osteoporosis, and then another PT appt on Friday. Feeling like I am moving forward.
 
hopefully you are getting more than one hour of sleep at a time! That has to be so exhausting! I'm happy that you seem to be moving forward and getting closer to getting your tears repaired! You aren't going to know what to do with yourself once all of this is behind you. How did your Osteo Dr. appointment go? Hugs!
 
Good day Krista, have not been on the net for a while, sorry to hear of all your other problems. Glad you kyphoplasty is done. Hope you feel better soon.

I went for my 7th surgery for torn gluteus medius and minimus on 10 June 2016. Had a plastic and orthopaedic surgeon. Plastic surgeon harvested my gracillas muscle from the inside of my leg with new blood flow to my greater trochanter and sutured the graft to the new muscle flap. Almost 8 hours in surgery. Only got up for the first time 10days later. 4 weeks after surgery had to go back to theatre to drain a very large seroma, and had irrigation running through my wound for another 2 weeks. Still had a lot of pain and walking with my stroller and now on crutches. Left hospital after 62 days.

My wound was still draining from 3 small holes. Went back for MRI in 18 August 2016 just to see that the new muscle flap graft as well the gluts mediums and minimus is torn off the greater trochanter again. I am going back to theatre on Monday 29 August to drain another large seroma that formed right next to the greater trochanter (the size of a tea cup).

After 8 surgeries and this one coming up on Monday I will just have to accept my muscles will never grow back to the bone. I walk with a very bad Trendellenburg gait and have to use crutches and now have a electrical shopper scooter to use for longer outings. I am only 55 years.

The pain and disability is worst after this survey. I really pray you have more success with your surgery coming up. I pray for you and hold both my thumbs that all will go well with you.

Regards, Tokkie.
 
Dear @Tokkie, I had your surgery date down on my calendar and was thinking about you that day and since. I am heartbroken that you have had yet another negative result and that the bad news just keeps on coming for you. It sounds like they have tried everything, and I have many tears flowing for you and how your life has become full of such pain and disability. I am glad that you came on and shared your continuing story here. If you do start a thread of your own, you will get support from many others here, I am sure. Sympathy and love to you. ♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎
 
To my friends here, thanks for your supportive comments. I am doing so much better just in the last two days. It's been 8 days since the vertebral kyphoplasty. I can comfortably sit and type on my laptop without having to support my arms. I can hold myself and my back up pretty darn well without other supports. Went to the second PT today and it is really helping me to get over my fears of movement and to gain a bit of strength and flexibility. I have not overdone anything at all. We are working on getting me to be able to lie on my back again, and I can now sit on the PT table and he lowers the back one inch at a time, and we do some exercises while I am sitting there. Then we lower it one more inch, I get comfortable with my back, and we do a few more exercises. I think we went down 3 inches today. It will be a very slow process, but I will get there. My posture is much better, holding my shoulders back, after a year of hunching over the walker. I went out to lunch with my sis today after PT, and came home and took a monster nap in the recliner, then made a nice dinner and cleaned it up, no pain, just a few warning twinges now and then. Am cutting back on pain meds again starting tomorrow.

@Cynthia777, my appointment with the endocrinologist went super well. My sister drove me (I can't drive yet) and she wanted to learn about how to treat osteoporosis, too, since she is two years behind me, getting older and will have declining levels of bone density. My experience has spurred her on to making an appointment for a dexa scan on Monday, and to make an appointment with the same doctor I just saw. He will handle my hypothyroidism, too. Am considering which medication to take. Will probably wait until after the hip surgery to start, since one of the side effects of the one I am favoring can be DVT, and we know that surgery ups the chances of that. I have so many files and have seen so many new doctors that my head is just spinning. No surgery date set yet, but I am sure I'll be ready for it when it comes.

Regarding sleep, I tried on my side again last night and got 4 hours, and didn't move at all during that time, woke up so stiff and sore, and I don't think that is a good position for my back. Went to the recliner for 4 more hours. So it's back to sitting up in bed and the recliner, but I think I finally have the magic combination of pillows, supports and clothes to wear to make enough hours of sleep possible. I thank my lucky stars every day that I have my husband and sister to help me through this. I could never do it alone. Having you all here on BS is invaluable, too.
 
Happy to hear you have less pain after your kyphoplasty, hoping you receive a surgery date soon.
 
You really sound like you're progressing well Kris...what a relief! Being able to get some sleep sure helps in coping with other health issues. I'm with you 100% on waiting to start the med that has a potential of causing a DVT until you're at a safer point post-op. Thank goodness for family who are right by our sides as we go through this journey! I'm sure with all you've gone through, you appreciate them even more than most. It's so good to hear that you're getting to a place where you can see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Hugs!
 
@Krista,
You are one amazing woman! I admire your determination, spirit, patience & positive attitude!:yes!: Thank your for continuing to post and taking care of yourself, as well as inspiring others
SweetPea69
 
Thanks, @Cynthia777 and @SweetPea69! I have progressed by leaps and bounds over the last few days. I have been off the norco and the valium for 2 days. I have only a very small bit of lower back pain, most of the time none. I am almost back to pre-hurt-my-back strength and flexibility. I will continue to be VERY careful, no lifting more than a couple of pounds, still using grabbers all the time, and the sock aid, but I can dress myself. Husband is still helping me to shower. Not driving yet, but will try again this weekend before my husband goes back to work from his "vacation". I have been joyfully doing cooking and some light chores and even some hand sewing! I am SO grateful to have my "back" back.

The surgeons who will be doing my hip surgery send their patients to the PT where I am going, and my two therapists know them and their protocols. I am continuing the PT, as it is helping me with strength that I need for my back and abdomen to hold my torso up correctly (which is where most of my weight is) and to be able to eventually lie down flat on my back, which I will need to do for my surgery, plus some other things that have been happening due to using walking aids for over a year now. They are also helping me to get the strength to roll out of bed when I am lying on an incline. No problem when I will be using a hospital bed, as the back goes up and down with electricity. But not so with my bed at home. Will have to have husband help me, as we haven't found anything sturdy enough or at the correct angle for me to grab and use to pull on. I am not going to do any side sleeping until after my hip surgery, as I think it puts pressure on my spine sideways in a not-good way. So I'll keep on sleeping propped up on pillows in bed half the night and then half the night in the electric recliner. Plus naps during the day.

Having your back not working, having no strength because of pain, or the threat of the excruciating, unpredictable spasms, was, to me, worse than having a leg in extreme weakness and pain, like after the THR. Then I could at least get around, and lift myself up and down to the toilet, and sleep reclined and make small movements with my body to try to get into a position so that my butt wouldn't go to sleep without the threat of a back spasm. I made mistakes, in that I didn't go for treatment to a specialist right away, but depended on my family practice doctor. That was a big mistake that added 3 weeks to my agony. I have learned SO much! I should have reported the spasms immediately to my surgeons. Although when I went to the first pre-op appt and saw one of the surgeon's PA and their PT and I told them about the spasms, they acted like it was no problem. Not until the next day when I saw the other actual surgeon while I was having spasms, did they understand the severity of it all. MORE learning!
 
Great news on your progress Krista! Is there a possibility that one of your surgeons could write a prescription for a hospital bed rental after your surgery? I would think with everything you've been through, one of them would be more than happy to.
 
Good idea, @Cynthia777! I am sure they would. I am planning to go to rehab afterwards for awhile after surgery, and I will have a hospital bed there. If I still need one when I go home, I'll be sure to get that order. I know how much you loved your rental!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Krista , I'm very pleased and enjoyed your latest updates with the good news that you have got better. May you continue on this road and I wish you all the best for your next surgery - the gluteus medius repair.

I believe it's also your positive attitude, rational approach and discipline that helps you get better - an example for me. By the way, I also wasted several months by making a mistake. My original primary physician misdiagnosed my pain in the thigh for disc prolapse and sent me to have an MRI done, for which I had to wait several weeks. I think this was completely unnecessary. It was not until after this MRI and several unsuccessful attempts at physiotherapy that I saw my husband's general practicioner who diagnosed the pain correctly as arthritis in the hip joint. The whole story is on my pre-op thread and my recovery diary. Take care and all the best - Constanze
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom