THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Loved"? Heck, I'm still using it! :heehee: I've been enjoying the hospital bed and the new 50" TV (we have a 32" in the master) so much so (not to mention the no snoring zone) that I'm dragging out moving back where I belong! My recovery will be the longest recovery period known to mankind!
 
Oh wow @Krista, I just popped on to check up on many of you and saw all this back problem you've been having. I hope it is something that will now begin to be less painful after the repair and you can get everything else attended to. I am on BS looking for posts on post-op Stiffness. My stiffness just won't go away and I think it is getting worse. I'm now 8 months out on right hip and 5 months out on left and I am so stiff sometimes that I walk like a robot. I was interested in your back because most of my stiffness is coming from my low back. I can't sit for over 5 minutes or lay down without stiffening and having to slowly move to regain my balance and motion. I stopped doing exercises for a few weeks to see if that would help but it seemed to make it worse so now I'm back to pedaling on stationery bike and using my Peggy Brill Core exercises and light weights to build some strength and flexibility. If exercise caused stiffness, I would consider it good pain and work through it. After reading about your back problems I don't want to go there.

Like you I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis & osteopenia. I have been on Fosamax for almost a year and I've just taken myself off of it because I read some of the side effects are muscle and bone aches. With both hip replacements being within this same year it is hard for me to know what is causing the pain so I'm dropping the drug and adding a bit of strength training to see if that changes anything. I see my OS the end of this month and I will talk with him about my stiffness in both hips. I also have pain when I bend over from the waist to pick something up and then I get a sharp pain in my left hip as I stand. It doesn't happen when I hold to something, only when I'm standing using my own strength.

I'll be checking more frequently to see how your back is healing. Yes, getting old sucks. I love Nora Ephron quotes on aging. I read something she said once about retiring. She said something to the effect that it wasn't what people thought it would be because when you get old and retire you are too decrepit to enjoy traveling. Those were not her exact words of course, but that was her gist. I simply hate telling people that I can only do so much and then I have to give up. I thought brand new shiny hips would "give me my life back" but little did I realize other body parts would start to fail. Hang in there girl! I always figure I'm better off than many.
 
@Squirrellymom, thanks for your sweet reply! I am doing pretty well. Today I have a few new aches and pains, in the front right a bit above my waist, not in my back. The back still give me occasional little twinges and is not as strong as before yet. Perhaps I've been overdoing it a bit with activities since I had been feeling so good. Had stopped wearing my waist support, but that is back on, and I am slowing down yet again. For many of us it is so true, that by the time we get to retirement, we are too physically broken to be able to enjoy ourselves much. I hope to have that remedied, at least in most part, by the hip operation I am eagerly awaiting. If only I could get a date set!

Your problems with the stiffness (which Josephine says is a kind of pain) sound quite concerning, and, if I were you, I'd copy and paste them into your thread in a new post, to get the support of the whole gang here. And that sharp pain in your hip as you stand after bending doesn't sound normal for someone as far out as you. I'll bet Josephine or Jaycey would be able to give you some good advice. Does your doctor or surgeon have anything to say about all of this? I wish things were better for you, my dear!
 
squirrelymom and christa....I have had back problems start since my hip surgery so I think the realignment of my hip and the readjustment to muscles changing and healing have brought on what was already there but masked by hip pain and posture.

I was diagnosed with a compression fraction T10 but the surgeon looked at the xrays and my MD and both say its an old one. I also have scoliosis and severe disc degeneration and the lower back and tailbone can be very painful and there is some sciatic problems. The surgeon ruled out this piriformis muscle syndrome and said that it is a really rare bird but to go back to physio with a new agenda he devised for the PT which involves my back and hip.

Also I had a bone scan and I have rather bad osteoporosis. Four years ago there was nothing so this has come as a shock and let down for me. I have been put on vitamin D, calcium and a drug called Actonel which you take once a week BUT the day after I was so ill with stiffness, pain between my shoulder blades, severe nausea, headache and a feeling like I had the flu. I ached all over so I stopped and will not take it again.

It took several days to calm down and the pharmacist told me these all serious side effects that often force people to stop taking this family of drugs. In the meantime my sister had taken one in the same class as this drug and her MD took her off these drugs for bone help for osteoporosis saying there is no serious evidence they work well and have in fact been known to cause hairline fractures.

In fact her MD took all her patients off these drugs so I just wonder despite the hope they give if we are better off with vitamin D, calcium and physio for osteo. We cannot stop what is happening or repair what has happened but my hip apparently is doing great and I feel no hip pain related to the surgery but pain in the hip and buttock from the back and the sciatic issue.

Both doctors told me the sciatic pain will eventually go away but may take months. I take tylenol 3 and lorazepam (once a day) and it helps and lots of hot showers and heating pads when I go to bed and read or watch TV. I hate being like this but I also get out and am using my cane more and more with caution so I am feeling better that the walker is going by the wayside, something I was really upset about two months ago. I still have a limp but part of that problem is that my left knee needs a replacement. On that I am going to think long and hard because I do not want any more post surgical complications or surprises and really wonder if I have the stamina to deal with knee surgery.

I wonder if the drug you take for osteoporosis is causing your stiffness. I was so stiff after just one dose that I could hardly move and felt like your said a robot. It may be the cause and while it seems impossible joint pain and muscle pain and stiffness are classic side effects. Perhaps have a bone scan done and xrays to look at the state of all your bones right now after being on this drug and ask your doctor to review the literature on them because of the concerns I have now heard about.

I may just live with what I have and forget these class of drugs because there is no way I can function on them.

Good luck to both of you.
 
Thanks for sharing your story about your back problems, @canoewoman. Looking at my MRI images, I can see that my old compression fracture from 2011 is in T10, too. My one in T11 is the new one. Sorry about your experience with Actonel. There are a number of different kinds of osteoporosis meds. The one I will be starting is called Evista, which seems to me to be the one with the fewest side-effects, certainly fewer of the really bad ones. I'll let you know how I fare on it once I begin. I hope you can find some way to prevent the osteoporosis from getting worse, as the consequences of that are pretty horrible. Best of luck to you. I dread taking the medication, but I really don't want to have my vertebrae keep cracking, or having other bones breaking. I am tagging @Squirrellymom so that she will see your reply above.
 
Thank you for tagging me Krista. @canoewoman I feel your pain. I'm convinced that the majority of the aches, pains and muscle problems I'm having are directly related to taking the Alendronate. There is no other explanantion and when reading the side effects others have experienced when taking this drug I am certain this is what is causing my extreme discomfort. I am going to post in my own recovery thread so I don't hijack Krista's. Thanks for posting.
 
Hi Krista, it makes me happy to hear that you are doing better . I am glad to hear you are having a better quality of life and less pain. It definitely seems you are on the road to recovery even though I know it is a long one. I feel like you really deserve a reprieve from all you have been going through. I really hope your next surgery gives you even more relief . You have been so supportive to me and many others. I am inspired by your positive attitude. Thank you. Hugs.
 
@Wrknitout, it made me feel so good to read your post! I am feeling better, but this week has been hard, as I think I have done too much, both in PT and out of it. Will take it a bit slower. Have one nugget of good news. I got an email from one of my surgeon's assistants yesterday saying that they were sorry for the delay in setting my surgical date, that they haven't forgotten about me, and that they are working on it and will let me know as soon as possible.

I have been contacting them once a week, updating them with my back recovery and asking about the date. Didn't even get a response last week. But now they contacted me first, for a change. Hoping...
 
Krista that is great news! At least you know you haven't been forgotten and something is happening to get you closer to your goal. Boy we sure deal with a lot of ups and downs during this journey don't we. I know I have. One day I am feeling good and the next it's like I've been run over by a truck! It is hard not to over do it on the days we are feeling better even when we know better. I think your plan of taking it easy for a bit is a good one. Take care.
 
I just got my surgery date! October 27 for the gluteus medius repair/hip exploratory/possible revision. Thrilled!

Apparently when you check in with me, @Cynthia777, good things happen! The other great news that has me flying is that I slept on my side last night, for the first time since the end of June before I hurt my back. For weeks I slept sitting up hunched over a table, and the rest of the time propped up reclining sitting either in bed or recliner. It FELT SO GOOD to get the pressure off of my spine/lower spine and just side sleep. I got 7 straight hours, few awakenings, no getting up. Miracle! Overall I am much better, but will be SO cautious until I have this surgery. Don't want anything else to interfere after two cancellations and many weeks to set and then wait for surgery.

This vertebral compression fracture was worse and more painful than my THR, and I never recovered from the THR.
 
@Krista Life is always better when you actually sleep in comfort -- happy for you. I woke up on my new hip side in the middle of the night :)
 
What good news! A date and sleeping comfortably for 7 hours! I am so happy for you.
 
I'm SO happy for you Krista! FINALLY, huh? I've put your surgery date on my iPhone reminders, so I'll be here for you my friend! I'm so happy you got some sleep and I pray you're still sleeping well. Hugs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom