THR 50 Years of Yoga

I'm sorry to hear about your knee pain. I'm experiencing it, too, so it does seem to be part of the deal for some of us. I'm impressed by your first postop appointment outcome. I see my OS tomorrow at 3 weeks and a few days. Thus far I've been very unimpressed. I called with two questions...and never received calls back! Fortunately, bonesmarters came to rescue. Wishing you continued success!
 
I got the OS to opine that I might begin to bend a little at 6 weeks. (4 weeks away). I wanted advice on moving over to using a canne. When and how? Also when I might safely sleep on my side. I don't have a timeline on these accomplishments. I am walking and doing PT LITE. It feels like I am ready to proceed but need advice.

Thx!
 
I moved to a cane when I didn't need the walker any more. I knew I could think about ditching the walker when I began forgetting to grab it moving around the kitchen or bathroom, just a few steps; The walker went to storage the day I got up from my recliner, went into the kitchen, and thought "Oh carp! Where's the walker?"
Like the walker, you one day you just forget to grab the cane and off you go. It seems fairly common to hang onto the cane for a while, even if that means keeping it in the car for just in case.
You'll probably know when you're ready to move from one aid to another and when to finally lose them all. Fair warning, don't get cocky and overconfident or you could wind up in the ODIC, not just as a member but on the board of directors. Every single step of this process takes as long as it takes and pushing isn't smart. There are no trophies for Soonest Mobility Aid Ditching.
For safe side sleeping, you'll need a pillow or two between your legs, thigh to feet. Some of us like body pillows for that. Try moving to your side and see how it feels. Your leg will tell you when it's ok. There isn't really a rule about that, unless your OS made one.
 
Thx. Makes sense of course. I had in my mind like you "graduated" into cane usage. I guess I will have to consult Dr Google for tips on the cane. Maybe get my spacey PT guy involved. Ok!!!!
 
@Yogini Going from walker to cane is really individual preference. I quit the walker fairly soon as I found it very awkward to use in my home but I went back to crutches (I had used them for several months before my surgery) for a while before shifting over to a cane. With a cane make sure it's the right height for you - you don't want to be stooped over. So one tall enough so when you are standing fully erect you can use it for balance and stability but don't lean your weight on it too much.

Sleeping on a new hip can feel odd at first. For me it felt like I was sleeping on a brick ... I think for me the internal swelling had not fully subsided when I first tried. But that does go away and by about month 3 or 4 I could sleep on either side comfortably.
 
The days can get long, and deciding where to ice can be an hour to hour challenge. My knee was killing me at first, and on my 2 week checkup, the PA gave me a cortisone shot. I guess it's controversial, but sure did help. I can get comfortable now on my recliner during the day. I have been invited for Thanksgiving and have been reluctant to go if I was going to be squirmy for 5 hours.

My next challenges will be to learn to use a cane. The walker is my safety blanket. And I hate these stockings. I also need some guidance on when I can sleep on my good side.

My best investments were a wedge. 3 20 minute elevation sessions a day. And sturdy little slip on shoes to wear when my little gripper socks were not enough.

Our medical community is short staffed up here in the Great NW. (Rural Washington State) So everyone's experience and advice on this site is quite useful. Thx and good luck.
 
@Yogini, I’m so encouraged by your post! You’re starting to have real-life adjustments to deal with and seem to be resolving the pain and sleeping issues, especially since you are still early in recovery.

So, here’s a few things to consider about the issues you raised. I’m assuming you are close with the folks who’ve invited you to a Thanksgiving outing. It’s still over a week away so why not mull it over as you continue to improve? I’m sure they can provide you a comfy place to relax and rest, if needed, and hopefully it’s not too much of a drive to their home? If you feel like it’s doable at all, please give it a try, but only if you feel safe and secure in your energy level. If you go, you’ll probably sleep like a log for a day or two afterwards but what a lovely excuse to celebrate gratitude.

When I started experimenting with my cane, I had resigned myself to always need the walker. :heehee: I watched a couple of YouTube videos that helped me get the process straight in my head then I would practice it with the videos. I did this in private. I even tried it before my PT asked me if I wanted to work on it. I continued with the walker for another day or two until I became comfortable with the cane then I still kept walker near my recliner if I felt tired or unsure. Might help with your transitioning.

With my first hip, I didn’t sleep on my non-op side until into my third week and I did it quite by accident. I actually turned onto my side in my sleep but already had pillow in place so it was fine. It was great sleep, too!

I’m hoping your days start passing more quickly as your activity level and energy increase. Give it time. Some of these things take being brave enough to try. Some will occur naturally. But you’ve done the hard part! Just keep looking for those daily miracles. They are there!
:angel:
 
I am 13 weeks and I can sleep on either side (lateral THR) but in the morning I am more achy than when I just keep on my back. Even with lots of pillows and I even have a bolster. It just seems to pull on my pelvis i guess. If I make myself sleep on my back (pillows on both sides) I dont have any pain in the morning. I probably am more used to sleeping on my back than most because it hurt so much on my sides the 6 months before my surgery. It took me a long time to figure out why some days I was more achy than others.
 
I didn't do any formal PT, my ortho recommended just walking so that's how I approached it. However, I have good friend who is PT and asked her if she could stop over my house one afternoon and give me some pointers on graduating to the cane. I had been using walker but many days just held onto dining chairs and walked with no assistive devices so I felt ready for the cane.
I showed her what I was capable of doing and she said you do not need that walker, grab the cane and let's get walking. So of course grabbed in right hand and she quickly said no, opposite side from your surgical side. It was a very easy transition, however, I did keep walker by bed for night time bathroom trips for few more weeks.
Then after couple of months kept forgetting cane so guess I don't need it, I was still using out in my backyard where I have several bird feeders and ground is quite uneven and lots of odd rocks that are popping up here and there but now I don't use outside either. I was keeping cane by bed at night for bathroom trips but that's done also.
Your body just kind of let's you know it's ok.
I'll be 9 months post op in a few days, it's hard to believe and it's even harder to recall the milestones and just when they occurred.
 
Thx for all the great insights. I am trying to be safe but still make progress.

With my knee pain mostly controlled by the cortisone shot, I am eager to do more. The PT exercises are deceptively simple, but the deep ache later is the message I get. Maybe doing them every other day would make sense. I haven't been able to find good stats on long term outcomes, PT vs none, for hips. Curious if someone has links to studies.
 
I'm not sure about any studies but just from reading here many hippies have done perfectly ok with just walking and no formal PT.
Even my primary care doctor told me same.
I did PT when I broke my ankle 3 years ago and after about a month I stopped, it was $35 a session and at one point was very repetitive and I was basically on my own most visits with assistant telling me do 5 of these 10 of these etc. Only thing I enjoyed was riding the bike for 10 minutes.
So I think it's just a matter of person preference. If you feel you are getting a lot out of PT then that's what works for you but you are not even 4 weeks into healing. It's a patience recovery. And trust me I'm not patient but I learned to do what I could and couldn't and let my body guide me. I wish you all the best.
 
Here's my long term outcome, no formal PT of any kind with either hip. First one I did the PT on the handout they gave me and I did over do it along with pushing too hard to get back to doing everything I wanted to do. That caused some unwanted overdidit's and time in the icing chair. Second THR I did little or nothing for PT aside from walking short distances slowly to regain good walking form. It's almost 5 years since my first and 3 since my second. Both are great and I do anything and everything I wanted or expected to do. I'm no couch potato and I'm able to walk as far as I want and work as much as I care to with NO HIP PAIN! That car in the picture is my regular weekend ride and I built and maintain it by myself. I climb ladders, walk roofs and I'll be cutting and splitting firewood later today. My PT choice was also my OS's recommendation. He advised me to stay away from formal PT, his quote was they will hurt you.
 
Why not look into OneStep digital PT? You can see the ad on the sidebar here at BoneSmart. Smarties get a free two week trial, then a discount if they sign up.
I started OneStep about a month before surgery and continued for 9 months. I think it's a great program. You meet with an assigned therapist via Zoom, and they set up 10-day courses for you to complete. It comes to you via phone. Each day's course takes 20-30 minutes to complete. For me, it was great motivation to get up and do something positive during a winter recovery.
At the end of each session, there was a short feedback where I marked each exercise's difficulty for me on that day. My therapist used the info to adjust the next course. If I had questions or problems, she was always available via the app or email, or we could zoom.
The fun part, which I still use, is the gait analysis. Open the app, stick the phone in my pocket, and go for a short - a minute - walk. There is an option for a longer 45 minute walk too. Then wonder of wonders, the analysis appears on the phone screen. It identifies strengths and weaknesses of my gait. When I started, my scores were in the seventies, and now they're in the high 90s. I really enjoy comparing my stats and competing with myself to improve.
For me, it beat the heck out of driving to a pt facility, paying my co-pay, then wondering which overworked and distracted therapist I'd get that day, spending a half hour part of which was waiting around then exercising in a face mask, and driving home hoping none of the workout would hurt the next day because for help I'd have to wait for the next session.
 
Really dreading PT. It seems to be making walking painful. Which is new to me. Jeesh. Guess I will just minimize my PT effort. My wonderful, very educated, myofascia therapist told me this week that the latest studies on PT approaches and results are indicating that therapy is more likely successful when kept inside the "pain boundaries" of a given body. This study seems to agree with BoneSmart philosophy. Pain during or after therapy is not helpful or advisable. Why do they keep pushing, I ask?
 
Pain during or after therapy is not helpful or advisable. Why do they keep pushing, I ask?
Unfortunately most PTs are in training mode - not recovery mode. You need to make it very clear to anyone working with you that you will not be pushed. If they don't agree, find someone else. Plenty of time to build strength once that hip is healed.
 
that therapy is more likely successful when kept inside the "pain boundaries" of a given body. This study seems to agree with BoneSmart philosophy. Pain during or after therapy is not helpful or advisable. Why do they keep pushing, I ask?
$$$$$$$ That drives the entire system.
BINGO!!! we have a winner. PT is usually preceded by "you have insurance, don't you?". You get as many PT sessions as your insurance pays for.
 
No doubt it’s driven by $$$. We’ve referred to the medical system as “coin operated”. But I think the biggest issue with PT is exactly what was said in an earlier post: therapists are focused on training, not recovery. Push, push, push might work to build strength but I’m not hoping to win a marathon! I just want to be able to confidently walk across a parking lot in an even gait, without fear of falling.
You have to think of your therapist as a partner, not a boss.
 
I did home PT in preparation for surgery and it did allow me to walk into the surgical center with poles rather than the walker I'd been reliant upon for months pre-op. But my OS recommended that I simply walk post-op because he'd found that many patients overdid with PT. I was also familiar with the Bonesmart Philosophy, so no PT for me even at 5 weeks. O tend to overdo as it is, and I don't need a PT pushing me into OverDidIt Land.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom