THR 50 Years of Yoga

Thx for the nice thoughts. I wish more medical personnel read and heeded blogs. They tend to roll their eyes when mentioned.
 
@Yogini I agree with you ... it is sad that most medical folks know the process of joint replacement but have very little awareness of the reality of recuperation from that. And I know what you mean by the "roll their eyes" ... I've seen it many times when I mention BoneSmart. But the "been there, done that, have the scars to prove it" folks do know what they (we) are talking about.

In an old movie, The Doctor, at the end the enlightened surgeon at a teaching hospital, requires all of his residents to go through some of the after surgery procedures that many patients go through - things like getting a bed bath, an enema, having a catheter inserted, etc. He had them doing this to help them develop empathy for their patients and improve patient care. If there were a way for surgeons to experience the aftermath of joint replacement (without actually getting the surgery) I bet it would improve patient care immensely.
 
Great post @djklaugh So true!

I hope you're doing well, Yogini, on this anniversary of your hip replacement.
Happy Three Month Anniversary and many blessings to you in 2023!
@Yogini
 
I have been seeing threads mentioning soft bones. Wanted to share my story. (wasn't sure where to put it)

I had bone scans beginning maybe 20 years ago. Osteopenia at first. Tried Fosomax. Bad jaw reaction. Yikes. I never liked milk, but was active with yoga and sports and ate cheese. Figured that was enough.

Almost 2 years ago the scan showed osteoporosis. Went to PT, (useless), added collegen powder and calcium via pills, chocolate, yogurt, and I went to an endocrinologist. She was great. Prescribed generic Evista. A synthetic estrogen.

The ortho surgeon commented at first that my osteoporosis "was going in the wrong direction." A year ago this was. I wanted anterior hip surgery, but was told it was more risky with soft bones.

Got the posterior RTHR 4 months ago. Healing nicely.

But the cool news is that the latest DEXA said the Evista and calcium increase and collegen powder were working, and my bone density increasing. Yippee. It's possible to harden up your bones.
 
Last edited:
But the cool news is that the latest DEXA said the Evista and calcium increase were working, and my bone density increasing. Yippee. It's possible to harden up your bones
This is great news. Well done and thanks for sharing.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
:hi:Good news on the bone density! Glad to read you're healing nicely too.
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
@Yogini
 
Update. It's been a year. Doing great. But it was tough for a while. The surgery recovery seemed to make me vulnerable to various infections. My new hip is great.

I am still pigeon toed. The crazy PT lady shouted as I left, that if I slept or walked pigeon toed, I would get a dislocation. The surgeon finally disputed that prediction. I am back to doing full yoga, except a few twists. Sometimes I get a "reminder" if I am moving something heavy. No pain though.

I recommend walking instead of heavy PT. I still sleep usually with a pillow between my knees. Good luck to all on this hip replacement journey!
 
Thanks for stopping by to update. Good news on your recovery!
Keep on listening to those "reminders" :wink: and enjoy that newish hip.
Happy (almost) One Year Anniversary, Yogini!
@Yogini
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom