THR 50 Years of Yoga

I also have done yoga for over 20 yrs and I was frustrated with the restrictions. My OS made a lot of sense when he told me there is good and bad to that. The good is you are really strong but the bad is when you are real flexible it could be easier to have a hip dislodge esp early on. After 6 wks I was able to do very gentle yoga following the 90 degree rule. I would use the golfer reach and a chair and could to enough to feel the benefits of yoga without overdoing it. Of course that was much latter on than you are now. I did too much at first before i found this site and it set me back a bit. My OS lifted my restrictions at 8 weeks but said dont go crazy. slowly bend a little further slowly. He is very cautious. I agree with subie2021 that anterior THRs have just as many issues as lateral or posterior. I was bummed I couldn't find a doctor that could do the Anterior approach but think I am happier I didnt have it. I think when you have no restrictions its easier to overdo.
 
WOW! You've got a lot going on and a lot of questions. The questions are good and understanding the what and why about it will make your recovery better.
Restrictions, with my 2 posterior THR's I was told 6 weeks and I followed them even a little longer. They aren't there just to make us mad, they are there to allow the joint capsule and muscles to heal so we can not dislocate. The OS dislocates our hip joint and rotates the femur so they can work on it. The direction of rotation is the direction you have to protect with the restrictions. Anterior just means they rotate the femur the other direction.
Compression stockings, not all of us are required to wear them, it's an OS requirement and to prevent clots. I only had to take an aspirin a day and keep moving my feet.
You mention an injury being the reason for the THR. I had complications with mine which made posterior the best approach as they have more room to work.
 
Can an admin please change my thread title? "10 days" is outdated. "My dogs want more walks" or "50 years of yoga". Either that you judge appropriate. Both reflect who I am.Thx!
 
Got your thread title changed @Yogini:ok:
You are getting Lots of good advice from our members who have been there and done that.
Hope your Sunday is Sweet!:SUNsmile:
 
Thx for all the great advice. So appreciative. I have a patient husband and lovely friends, but was feeling a bit alone.

My knee is unhappy. I sit with a towel role under it. Voltaren helps. Not sure what causes it. Advice?

Also, I used to be an IT project manager. So I plan. This is a short list of what planning activities have been successful:

-Made and froze easy meals. Bagged salads make a meal.
-Bought several thigh lenghth summer dresses at the thrift store. Use as nightgown, add a jacket during the day. No tugging of pants and underwear.
-Several Bombas gripper footies.
-Bought a wedge. Love it.
-Bought a cheap flexible leg lifter. The grabber thingie is useless.

Thoughts?
 
Knee pain is common, goes back to what I said about understanding how they perform this magic on us. If you google the muscle groups you can see how many muscles pass through the hip area. They are all manipulated to dislocate us. In recovery any strain causes pain and the IT band runs down to the knee and that's where it's alarm signal is.
 
Try an auto parts store, Tractor Supply, or a good hardware store for a heavy duty grabber. The little dinky ones that come in hip kits are okay for picking up dropped kleenex or socks, but you can use the big sturdy ones for all kinds of things like getting things out of low cabinets, picking up pet food dishes, keeping husbands in line....
 
Good grabbers are just the most useful tool. Subie is right - you need the high grade model. Many online stores sell mobility aids. I bought 3 grabbers. One upstairs and 2 downstairs. You always need one to pick up the one you dropped!
 
Frozen meals. ✔️
I have two tshirt-type dresses that are dark colors and I wore one of them to surgery center for my op with no undies! Felt a little wicked but easy on and off, went into hospital gown for duration of surgery, slipped off easily once I was back at hotel. My usual “go to” article of clothing for recovery is a light-weight black skort, a drawstring waistband on a skirt with panty liner attached. I must have a dozen pair between my two surgeries and I wear them to work in yard or housework to stay cool. Great for walking, too. ✔️

Id say you’re doing great except for the grabbers. Everyone in my family has their own now because they’d sneak off with mine. I have them each one for Christmas the year of my first THR.
:santa-dance:
 
You need a grabber that's solid enough to pick up your cane when you drop it. And trust me, you WILL drop it. And you'll have hours of entertainment while you're at home, stir-crazy and bored, trying to pick up things like ice cubes. And pistachio nut shells. And your tv remote. They also come in handy when trying to take your socks off.
I brought the same dress as @beachgal -- loose cotton t-shirt dress that was easy on and easy off.
 
Well, it's been almost 2 weeks and I was doing ok. Walking, elevating, trying to behave. Behaving is the toughest since I am impulsive, a fast mover, and flexible. Slow slow slow is the new mantra.

In any case, now my right knee, which was touchy before the surgery, is killing me. Can't get comfy. Should I beg them for cortisone or an ok to go to my very talent myofacia massage therapy guy? I hate to increase my meds. Advice? I get the dressing off Wed, but suspect the PA will blow me off. Any reason not to get cortisone, massage or acupuncture?

Otherwise my pain is pretty manageable. Maybe I can see the light...

Thx again. Advice and support are precious.
 
Yogini, try your ice pack on the knee and see if it helps with pain. I think it may be too soon for cortisone shot. Also watch your gait so those knee muscles are not twisting weird as you walk. Get some rest!
 
In any case, now my right knee, which was touchy before the surgery, is killing me. Can't get comfy.
You're not alone in this. The knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process so we do encourage icing any / all areas of discomfort in the early days and weeks of recovery. Take care to always place fabric between the ice source and bare skin. You can ice as often and for as long as you like. Try it! I hope it brings you relief. :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] 50 Years of Yoga
This muscle is aa
 
This muscle is manipulated during surgery and can be inflamed at the knee so can cause knee pain. See above
 
Well, it's been almost 2 weeks and I was doing ok. Walking, elevating, trying to behave. Behaving is the toughest since I am impulsive, a fast mover, and flexible. Slow slow slow is the new mantra.

In any case, now my right knee, which was touchy before the surgery, is killing me. Can't get comfy. Should I beg them for cortisone or an ok to go to my very talent myofacia massage therapy guy? I hate to increase my meds. Advice? I get the dressing off Wed, but suspect the PA will blow me off. Any reason not to get cortisone, massage or acupuncture?

Otherwise my pain is pretty manageable. Maybe I can see the light...

Thx again. Advice and support are precious.
Not sure about massage and acupuncture, but cortisone may be a no-no, or at least according to my OS. Few months wait, he says.
 
Well, it's been almost 2 weeks and I was doing ok. Walking, elevating, trying to behave. Behaving is the toughest since I am impulsive, a fast mover, and flexible. Slow slow slow is the new mantra.

In any case, now my right knee, which was touchy before the surgery, is killing me. Can't get comfy. Should I beg them for cortisone or an ok to go to my very talent myofacia massage therapy guy? I hate to increase my meds. Advice? I get the dressing off Wed, but suspect the PA will blow me off. Any reason not to get cortisone, massage or acupuncture?

Otherwise my pain is pretty manageable. Maybe I can see the light...

Thx again. Advice and support are precious.
Not sure about massage and acupuncture, but cortisone may be a no-no, or at least according to my OS. Few months wait, he says.
My knee is my biggest source of pain now. Icing and a pillow beneath it seems to help...
 
Great 2 week folkow up visit to my ortho clinic.

Dressing gone. Got cleared for showers, acupuncture and massage.

Knee xray from 2 years back assessed. PA thinks surgery has aggravated arthritis in my knee. Gave me a cortisone shot to try to deal with persistent pain.

OS stopped by. Explained that my hip prosthesis was a Tri axis design and should deal with my pigeon toe. The hospital PT had me frantic over dislocation. The OS said no worries. Sigh.... He expects restrictions should ease at 6 weeks. Demonstrated what postures to avoid.

Yippee. Rarely have a medical visit so satisfying.
 
Knee still hurts even with the lidocaine in the shot. Disappointing.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom