Guest viewing is limited

MUA 5 week failure<

@Robinmhs88 - yes do call.. at least you will find out his reaction and won't have to be scared of it anymore. Remember what they tell us here.. "It's our knee and we are in control of our knee. They are our employee!" I'm with @Tanya76 - he may surprise you! I have to go into PT today and stand up for myself. I stood up for myself a little last time and the PT was more gentler about it than I expected. Today I'm going to stand up for no pushing and see where that gets me. But I feel your fear. I don't know why we are afraid - I laid in bed last night completely scared about all this and had to talk myself out of it so I could rest!

@hempsteadjb - your post about your doctor gives me hope. I have to see mine Jan 6 and last time I was in at my 6 week he told me he wanted to see me in 3 weeks which would have been around xmas, and that I'd better have gained 20degrees of ROM each week. BUT the nurse scheduled me for Jan 6th which gave me almost two weeks more before I have to see him BUT there's no way I'm going to be there when I go in, so I'm hoping to continue to gain slow improvement so when I go in I can show him that I'm getting there slow and steady and I won't do an MUA!
 
I can’t imagine his face when you told him you were part of the “slow benders club” but seeing as we are at the same place within the same time frame I am glad to be part of the club. My muscles are so tight that I feel they are causing me not to bend. Even getting in the car my leg goes straight, I sit in a chair my leg goes straight, walking is the same. I know that all the straight is hurting the muscles but don’t know how to convince them to bend :) hope you all have a good day, I will call OS and see when i can go in :)
 
Robin, I wish you would change the name of your thread. By no means are you a failure! You are a wonder! This is a journey with an end and when you finish the race, you'll look back and be amazed at yourself. Your medal can be your scar and you will have earned it!

When I was crying to a friend right after my surgery, saying I wish I had never done it, she told me something that I haven't forgotten. Her words: "I have known you for 20 years and your knees have bothered you for 10."

I'm not sure why we think we can heal ourselves in a few weeks or months when our knees were in bad shape for so long but in the beginning, we do. After I fired my first PT, I found another and interviewed the owner. He asked me if I had ever seen a knee replacement. My answer was no, nor did I want to. He said if I had, I would understand why it was so painful and why I needed to give it a long time to heal. Basically, it had been assaulted in order to make it better. They started to work on my quads for strengthening, not bother my knee. I didn't know what a quad was or if I even had one! As time went by, my expectations got more realistic and that helped my knee. Throughout that time, I continued to rest, ice and elevate.

You are doing so much better than you realize. Forget all the "bend" talk and just baby yourself. You are worth it! Everything will come. Sometimes I think it's too bad they don't send us home with a full leg cast. No one would expect us to do anything but sit and elevate!

Take care. Your vacation is coming soon!
 
@Robinmhs88, I think of you often. Was your one week PT experience from home health? or in the hospital? It's hard for me to believe you had to go out to PT so early. After reading on Bonesmart, I believe that I was damaged by home health in the first weeks. Now I cannot remember which week home PT started. I liked her, I had not found Bonesmart yet so I did what she told me. She pushed my bend, told me about adhesions and then showed me how to use a scarf around my foot to get more bend. Then I went to PT and really got two painful pushes. The 2nd one was the last one. I do not know my ROM. I had a high of 114 after he pushed. I wanted to scream,but I just gasped. I am not sure how much I have lost, but they don't to push anymore. They probably think I'm wasting my time.I'm trusting Bonesmart. It seems everyone is telling you rest is essential so I know you're doing the best you can. I would say your family is going to have to take over during your break so you can take care of your knee. I had a huge meltdown yesterday and was told that's what we're here for on Bonesmart. We all care about you and hope you get your rest soon.
 
A little humor: Wouldn't it be interesting if all the doctors and PTs who are so concerned about ROM had a TKR? Their tunes would probably change!
 
Jakeleg... my 1st visit was to my pt office. I was sitting on the edge of her table, legs hanging down and she pushed my leg down to touch the table. I screamed in pain and she told me it was fine no one was going to save me. She also told me to stop using a walker and start using a cane. Mentally she messed me up. I didn’t ever want to feel that pain again. I feel like I am far behind but still struggle with the muscles. When I try to bend my muscle behind my knee gets angry. When I am on vacation I luckily will be home alone and I will take care of me. I know my husband is trying to help but I am really tired of the “ you gotta bend that knee” makes me cry every time . Thanks for the encouragement, I am cheering all us slow benders on. :)
 
Last edited:
I am so sorry. That is borderline abuse to me or maybe even abuse. I understand your fear and your mental " mess". You have some company on this site. I read all the posts about PT and am convinced a lot is us have been"messed with". I send you a hug right now.
 
Gosh Robin.. I gasped when I read your post about your PT visit. I'm so sorry.. no wonder you are scared to death... bless you honey... sending a huge loving hug...
 
If/when I do this again I will not go to PT and no one will push my knee. Been there, done that. :no-fin:
 
That was just so wrong. Nurse Ratchett in disguise. Luckily, you do not ever have to see that evil woman again! Now - start to think soft thoughts about relaxing into your nest during vacation. Have your phone, remote and laptop close by, maybe binge on Netflix or just sleep while you elevate and ice. Remember to breathe and do know that things WILL get better.
 
Sorry you had such a bad experience Robinmhs88. Mine stopped touching me after first session but emotionally affected me by saying I should try harder etc. I’m the same as you as family also say ‘it’s mind over matter!’

I am going to Physio one more time before I see OS tomorrow. That’s at OS request. I hope I’m over 45 which was where I was when I last saw Physio. I hope you get good rest during vacation Robin. It’s been physically and emotionally tough.
 
Robin, at my visit to OS on Monday he stated many older people were happy with getting to 75-90% with their knee. I told him I was not happy and was going to continue to work on mine to do anything not to have a MUA. BTW, he gave me a BIG smile when I told him I was in the "Slow Benders Club" he really doesn't have a great bedside manner to him but he hugged me on the way out and said Merry Christmas! I almost fainted!!!
Please get some rest during your Christmas break
 
It seems odd to me that OS's don't acknowledge those of us who move along more slowly! Surely they have patients that are slower then others! I mean look at the variety of patients on this forum alone! Must be an ego thing in not wanting to talk about it. Weird!
 
OSs know that everyone heals at their own pace, but I think they think they're encouraging you to do more to get that ROM. But, some don't know that you can't work to get ROM. It only increases swelling and then decreases ROM. I hate to hear how you all have suffered at the hands with therapists when I know it's so unnecessary to even go to one!

The main thing I can say is, I wasn't happy with my 90 degree ROM, but I didn't work it, and it improved on it's own without the stress and pain of a therapist!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom