Guest viewing is limited

MUA 5 week failure<

@sistersinhim I SO agree with you. It makes me so angry that our health professionals, who we trusted going into this, do not allow our body to heal from the surgical damage required to fix our pain. Did they miss that class in medical school?

I’m sure my surgeon did an excellent job installing my implant, but as far as recovery goes I trust Bonesmart way more than my surgeon!!! And, I don’t think I will ever trust a physical therapist again.
 
And, I don’t understand them forcing your knee to bend while you are still in the hospital! No one did that to me in the hospital. My whole leg was totally wrapped in the hospital so there was no way I could bend it even if I wanted to. That wrapping didn’t come off until I was discharged, which was about 30 hours after surgery.
 
My OS told me a story about when he was doing his residency in New Orleans, said their patients could not be released until they could bend 90%...said he went in early one morning before the lady was really awake and forcefully bent her knee to 90%!!! Said he has never done that again, she almost killed him. He said he has never bent anyone's knee since...
 
That poor woman!!! :yikes:
 
could bend 90%
It's not 90%, if so, it'd be almost 100% perfect! It's 90 degrees. That's a huge difference! But, what a funny story from your doctor. I hope she kicked him! I sure would have been tempted to!
 
Some people use this symbol * to represent degrees. That might be easier, if you don't want to type "degrees" over and over.

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
 
Hi Robin, just thought I would update you. I hit 54 today. Physio thinks I will need the manipulation and doesn't feel that resting will bring much improvement :bawl:
 
Physio thinks I will need the manipulation and doesn't feel that resting will bring much improvement
Well, the physio would think that, because PTs are so number-obsessed.
Has he/she had a knee replacement, or is that just what he/she was taught?

It is far too soon to be thinking of having an MUA:
MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)


At the moment, your knee is prevented from bending because the swelling is making it stiff. It's like a garden hose that is full of water. The water makes it stiff and harder to bend. But empty out that water and the hose becomes much more flexible and will bend easily. Your knee is kept stiff by the swelling - and having an MUA, while it might force your knee to bend while you are unconscious, will only increase the stiffness.
In addition, it will cause new soft tissue damage, so your recovery could be set back.

Read this article:
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions

It's not exercising, or an MUA, that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
Gosh, I hurt for all of us who get scared by the ROManiacs. How's that for a label? If I can breathe tomorrow, I'll go to PT. My PTs are such nice people and reading some of these posts makes me not like them. I'm icing and elevating like a maniac myself trying to get swelling down. My knee looks almost normal til I start walking. Patience, Jakeleg, patience!
 
I'm at 11 weeks, 75 degrees, my next follow up apt. is in 6 weeks...my OS hasn't mentioned a time frame for a MUA...I would give it time, I feel I will get there eventually.
 
Today is 10wks out...
It’s funny I feel like I have less swelling but a little more pain. Everyone says it looks like I am walking better. Not sure. Been falling asleep on my side and waking up on my back but not waking up when I turn and that’s a plus. I had a dream the other night that I woke up with my knee bent and I was able to bend and straighten it... can’t wait for that day. :) hope you all are doing well :)
 
Last edited:
that's really good news Robinmhs88: walking better and sleeping better. sounds like healing is happening. funny about your dream ~ i had a similar one a few months ago that i was riding my bike outside. :treestar:
 
Yay Robin!!! Have you been doing anything differently?
 
Honestly no exercise during the week since I am at work daily. Last weekend I woke up iced for a couple hours right out of bed and than throughout the day as I moved around. My muscles are tight and I have decided that massage is what I need to do so I schedule some sessions of pure massage. If I can calm my muscles I know I can bend. We will see. Funny what our dreams are showing us now I just want it to come true. :). How’s everyone else doing?
 
I'm a firm believer that God speaks to us through our dreams! I bet that massage will help you!
 
I forget Robin.. you are working everyday 8 hours a day? When do you get your week off!?!!!
 
@Robinmhs88, I have been checking on you daily and hope massage helps. I have a powerful home massager that I use on my thigh. I also got a very good 1 1/2 hour massage last week which felt wonderful.

This whole recovery has taken a toll on our minds and entire bodies. I forget that because I'm so obsessed with my knee. My chiropractor confirmed that it stresses us neurologically. I have been sort of sick at my stomach since I quit my pain pills. After he adjusted my back and neck, I felt less so.

Toxins are released when we get massages and chiropractic adjustments. I freely admit I am an addict for any kind of body work. I'd like to try some gentle yoga or Tai Chi when I'm able. Knees and rotator cuff have been obstacles.

All I can tell you is that I have made progress with icing, rest and no pain at PT. I see my doctor on 1/3/18. I do hope he's satisfied with my ROM.

I think you got off to a very unfortunate start and your insurance change didn't help. However, you found Bonesmart and have all the support to keep you going. I never thought I'd quit crying. I try not to think about the long road ahead. I pray and meditate. I have certain mantras or phrases that I repeat over and over to push fear out of my mind.

I learned on Bonesmart that leg stretches in a rocking chair are good. I've been looking at a rocking chair in my bedroom for 8 weeks! So I tried a few rocking stretches and they were fine. I do 3-5 a few times a day and my ADLs. I'm going to PT once a week-no pushing allowed. My knee is still tight but, my ROM is still ok with me. I'm going to start going to the stairs in my building. I'll count how many I can do up and down and slowly increase. I am really being cautious.

Have faith. I believe you'll be ok.
 
You just sit in a rocking chair with your feet on the floor and gently rock the chair backwards and forwards, never rocking further than your knees want to bend and never forcing them.
It's just a variation on heel slides.
Heel slides and how to do them properly
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom