• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

MUA 5 week failure<

So tomorrow is 11 wks And I still am numb on my right side of my knee is that normal?

@Robinmhs88 I am at 7 weeks and pretty much the entire one side of my knee is completely numb. Such an oddly uncomfortable feeling!

Robin!!! I was wondering all day today how you've been!!!???

The nurse told me that they cut a nerve over there and that I could expect to have a permanent numb spot. But I don't have one. So not sure if the doc cut it or not!

It’s so weird because I have pain on the left side and on the front of my shin but the right side just feels weird. I tap it and it’s just weird :)
My bend is no better, frustrating!
But just a couple more days and vacation starts. Hoping to relax and make progress before returning on the 8th.

An area on my right side is still numb, too. Even after my last surgery on the left knee over 10 years ago, I still have numb areas. Try not to worry about the numb spots. They cause no harm.

I wanted to wish all my Bonesmart friends a Happy Holiday season. I am at 11 wks no improvements in my bend or walk. I have quite a bit of pain. Can’t tell if it’s muscle or something else. I am hopeful all of my slow benders are doing well.

Hi Robin.. so good to hear from you. You are often on my mind. I'm still 60 - maybe a bit more after rest.. not sure. I'm on a 3 day weekend here so resting and icing most of the day inbetween some ADL's and a few heel slides to the point of uncomfortable stretch but no pain and a some half turns on the bike. So I'm hoping that swelling goes down so I can see a bit more bend before my 1/3 OS appt. Are you on your week vacation now? When is your next OS appt?

Thank you, think of you often as well, always wondering how you are progressing....I am on my vacation. Can’t get in to see OS because of holiday and his short work week. I have been trying to see someone else in his practice but am met with the “ oh you can only see your OS” Its okay I am going to see how I do in the next couple of days and go from there :)

yup.. that's all we can do. so glad you are keeping the faith. i'm down and up about it all.. i just finished reading @Angiebabe's threads - she seems to have two threads - one where she did an MUA and the other where she hasn't and both are encouraging. But the bottom line goes back to allowing the knee to gently heal and if for some reason it starts going backwards.. then you have to think about other options I guess! I'm so glad for all the experiences on this board, advice and support. It keeps us lifted up and encouraged through this healing process. Merry Christmas Robin.. are you doing anything special today or tomorrow?
:nativity:

No thankfully it will be a calm couple of days with my hubby and two adult children, how about you? Yesterday was an emintional day...those are the hardest. It’s so easy to become discouraged. When asked by my family what I wanted for Christmas I replied, “ to bend my knee”
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. I am here if you need to chat :)

Hello, Robin. I think of you often. I'm glad you have some time to rest now. You have some frustrations in your recovery no doubt. We keep hearing every knee is different. That's hard to accept on those down days. I had one yesterday, cried and complained on Bonesmart.

I dread seeing my doctor because I'm afraid of what he will say. That's really irrational because I don't even know how I'm doing and he is always kind and considerate. I cannot seem to shed the expectations and comparisons.

I will go crazy if I can't get it through my head that recovery takes up to a year. I have curtailed my activities a lot and go out when necessary and to 3 or 4 meetings or have friends over. I'm supposed to go with family for a few hours tomorrow.

I keep reading Bonesmart looking for the magic answers. Isn't that silly? The advisors are wonderful and so consistent in their advice and compassion. My favorite time of day is bedtime. When I'm sleeping, I'm not obsessing.

Enjoy your time off and rest as much as possible.

Oh Jakeleg our minds are as one I too think of you and have the same fears. I constantly obsessed of when, WHEN!
I have two brothers both had tkrs (one had double) and they can’t understand why I am so behind. Everyone means well but every comments tears me apart. I take sleeping meds so I can sleep and not think of this but wake up sad when the pain is there immediately. I too am always trying to find answers but nothing fits my timeline and pains so thank God I have the friends I have here to be able to talk to. I hope you have a great time with your family and know I am pulling for you :)

Ah @jakeleg and @Robinmhs88 - your posts are so sad. The only thing I hold onto is what I've been told here and that is no knee recovery is the same and then I listen to my knee holding onto hope and patience. My game plan is to keep going gentle the Bone Smart way for a full three months before I make any other decisions in order to give my knee a chance to show some improvement. If I'm still stuck at extremely low flex, then I'll see how I feel. In the meantime, I am scared of my doc's reaction but maybe he will be kinder than I expect. I internally freak out if I think about A YEAR before full recovery, so I try not to. So much of my day to day activities have changed so much... I don't function in any capacity like I used to.. this has all been VERY hard to adjust to. Had we been given some warning of the YEAR recovery time, maybe we could have planned 'emotionally' a little better. My OS said 6 weeks and you'll be back at work and so I just assumed from what he said and what I had read on the web, (I had not found Bone Smart yet), this would be much smoother and easier than it has been. Rude surprise it has been indeed. Hugs and prayers going out to you both today....

:console2: :praying: :kittykiss:

Hi, I think of you all often. We all seem to be in same position.

I feel exactly the same way. I thought I had progressed earlier in week but since then I've gone back to stiff log leg. I'm also currently having awful pain in thigh muscle that I haven't had before. I don't think this time of year helps. I want to be enjoying festivities with family but instead I'm sat wondering when things will ever get back to normal. I know I need to be patient but it's so hard especially when I was initially told I would be back to normal after 6 weeks.

@Robinmhs88 thats what I asked fir Christmas too. I also have family members who have had this operation and 'flew through it'

It's so hard.

I hope everyone manages to have good Christmas.

:santa hug:

Last edited:
Expectations and comparisons are dangerous to our mental well being.

Ladies, merry Christmas to all of you! Please focus on all the little victories you have already had...and tell all those, er, 'well meaning' folks who think you aren't doing as well as you might...to go suck an egg. Memory fades, in the case of TKRs that were a breeze. Ask me how I know...!

You will heal. You have bending problems that will resolve. The pain will go away in time. Please have faith. A year is a long time.

:box:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics