MUA 5 week failure<

I know that sometimes you can't have the luxury of taking long enough off work for your knee to recover.
To compensate for that, you need to do nothing else except rest, ice, elevate, and just walk gently around the house. No exercises, no PT, no housework, no chores, no shopping - nothing but giving your knee lots of TLC.

Almost everyone finds that their knee swells more and becomes more painful when they first go back to work, even if they leave it until later in recovery.
 
took sock off at 4pm because the pain was so intense. Having my leg elevated hurt especially when I moved to stand up.
Could you show me the site of this pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] 5 week failure<
 
Lb3 d since surgery has been painful on Saturday add LB3 and e. The week after surgery doc said the pain was an angry ligament but it always felt like more . When I try to bend that's where all the pain is. Also when I elevate it hurts from that area lb3 d.
My kneecap is super tight and I was told to massage it but not sure how?
 
Last edited:
Very thankful for all who have encouraged me on this journey. Your words have meant so much to me. Today marks week 7
This forum has been a God send
Happy Thanksgiving to you all
Hugs
 
Happy Thanksgiving to you, also. Bonesmart is one of our biggest blessings!
 
wish I would have never done this
A very common reaction at your stage of recovery. And this, too, shall pass.
Put the sock on for me to do chores
What will happen if you don't do those chores? Is it important (sky falling in sort of level)? Don't do them.
I do rest as much as I can but am so active,
asked...
I have to do more resting
...and answered.

When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.

And no that's not a joke (that is, it isn't a joke and I didn't intend it as one either :))
 
Your thread has really helped me. You have such encouraging responses for those of us who worry about too much. I am slightly weepy today, not for any particular reason. The swelling is tedious. I ice a lot more since I have been reading here. My knee looks good, but gets purple and tighter within 5 minutes of being up. I do all my ADLs, but I don't exercise much because I think my last 2 PT sessions were too forceful. My last post was long and rambling. I just let it all out and then I found your thread. I would have had a much shorter post if I had found you first. I wish the best for you and your knee.
 
@Robinmhs88 I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Lb3 d since surgery has been painful on Saturday add LB3 and e.
Also when I elevate it hurts from that area lb3 d.
So here then?
[Bonesmart.org] 5 week failure<


My kneecap is super tight and I was told to massage it but not sure how?
I would suggest you don't! Much better that you attend to pain management and icing and elevating and allow this to settle on its own. Because it will. The tightness is part of the swelling and swelling is a manifestation of pain.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Absolutely!!! I can use any advice. Ask away
And yes that's where the pain is
 
Last edited:
Jakeleg I feel like I cry all the time. Every little thing, or response from family about what I should do has me crying. I really felt cared about by total strangers who know how I feel. This forum has saved me and I know I will get better :) have a great night and know you have friends here :)
 
You certainly do have friends here. And we all know what you are going through. If a person hasn't had a tkr, they've no idea what it all entails. We do and we need and want to share with others!
 
You are right around the time in recovery where I was the most emotional too. I would be cranky or have a little cry. The fatigue makes you moody--and I would guess you're more fatigued than many b/c you're back at work already and can't just go lie down when it hits you.
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] 5 week failure<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
Robin, I have benefited a lot from your thread. I have been obsessed with ROM and bending. I think my PTs have messed with my mind because they are the ones who have pushed me. I'm going to go easy on Monday no matter what they say. My knee must be a cousin to yours. I swell very quickly as soon as I get up. Let's cheer each other on.
 
Absolutely!!! I have gotten more support from strangers than family. No one understands what I am going through because they haven't experienced it. Here to help support ya :)
 
Last edited:
Hi Robin,

We had our surgeries on the same date and I am also slow to bend as well. At 5 weeks post op I was only at 65 degrees (with a very rigorous and I now know, hindering, physical therapist) and my surgeon performed an MUA at 6 weeks. I am up to 89 degrees but my thighs are still swollen from the muscles affected during the MUA and although my knee feels so much better and is ready to bend more, I have learned on this forum that I have to proceed slowly at my own pace so that the swelling can properly go down. I just wanted to let you know that I am right there with you.

Hope you are continuing to rest!

Wendy
 
Hi Robin.I can identify so much. I had a friend over today and ended up crying and it wasn't about my knee. I think some of the swelling in my knee must be tears. Almost anything can turn on faucets sometimes. I can feel so discouraged and then read some posts and say ok, I'm not alone. We can't afford to think more than one day at a time. I will be 7 weeks the 28th. The more I read the more I see how unrealistic my expectations have been. I am a believer in rest and ice after the last 4 days. Trying to bend depresses and angers me. Have I mentioned I'm not able to go full revolution on the bike? I don't want to start obsessing on that. There are other things I can do well just not for very long. I'll cheerlead for you since we have so much in common. I think I'll shower and shave my legs that might make me feel more human.
 
Every time I feel discouraged I get uplifting post. Thank you!!! I too will cheer you all on as this is a battle you can't fight on your own :)
 
1. I have more discomfort than pain, except when I bend and have then to stand, elavate my leg or do some exercises than pain would be around 7.

2. My pain meds ended my first week, doc never refilled. Been taking Advil.

3. Close to huge.
My leg is swollen behind the knee on the right side. And my knee cap looks like it wants to pop off. I will post a picture in a little while

4. I think my bend is around 80 but a am very low on a hamstring curl. I am straight

5. I ice/elevate for an hour when I get home from work and than for an hour, or hour and a half right before bed.

6. Elevate when I ice. Was still elevating at bed until it started causing pain about a week ago. Now I just use 1 pillow at night

7. I work during week and only do light housework on weekends


Ankle pumps
thigh squeeze x15
butt squeeze x15
Side lifts x5
Straight leg lifts x5
Hamstring curls x5
Straight lifts sitting x10
Knee bends standing x10
Heel slides x10

Did PT twice a week for four weeks then insurance switched. Don't want to go back because she called my doc and told him I wasn't working hard enough because I wouldn't let her force my bend again.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom