MUA 5 week failure<

That's how I feel as well... my mind is a big obstacle. I too am a worrier and I agree we have to let our feelings out here since we all understand each other. I am glad your session went well. Hope you rested when you got home :)
The funny thing is I feel like every morning I start all over.... stiff, tight and swelling starts immediately.
 
Oh, it is definitely going to be stiff in the morning. Totally normal at your stage. And you're right that whether we're in the midst of recovery or it's been a while, we Bonesmarties understand.
 
Thanks Josephine.. I keep hearing about scar tissue build up... thoughts??? So you are saying no exercise at all???
 
Scar tissue is what is holding your incision together. You need those!
 
Hello. I come to your thread because we have similar struggles with knees and mind.

I said yesterday was a good day. Woke up tight and stayed that way all day. There's the rollercoaster. I did things I had to because I put them off for a week. I did not leave my apartment.

Here is my frame of mind now. I'm not going to read about the "whiz kid" recoveries. I am not one and I can't afford to wonder about slow progress because of PT. I don't know that for sure. I just know I was hurt too much at 2 sessions last week trying to get better ROM. I'm fed up with that and don't want to compare to people who got 120 or 130 in 2 weeks.

I like your thread because you get such good encouragement. I'm tired of complaining about me, me, me. I want to support you and tell you, we both will get better.

I feel like a fool for crowing about yesterday. I did 3 slides 2 times today. Mostly I walked. My walking got better as the day went on. I have probably iced a total of 5 hours interrupted by stuff I had to do.

I'm at the point that I don't know what helps but I'm pretty sure force does not. Forgive me for being a grouch. I want some doggone progress that I can recognize.

Thanks to all as usual.
 
Jakeleg that's what I am saying I see no progress, when I forced it or when I don't. It messes with my mind so much. I feel like a failure hence my initial post. When will I progress. I did not excerise last night just iced and elavated, tried to lay on my side with an ice pack lasted an hour than pain. Laying on my back hurts, and I have a hard time getting my body up in the morning. Please continue to chat with me. I am here for you as we truly are peas in a pod :)
 
I have read some posts that make me want to cry then I get angry about the PT that has hurt people.I might show some of these posts to my girl Sarah tomorrow if I can sneak this in.
 
My PT forced my bend before I even hit 1 wk out and from that moment on I have been stuck. I think a lot is mental since that pain was so horrible, I almost stopped pushing for fear I would feel that again. But I know I have to bend. My HR department wants a final release which will mean seeing him again and I know he will be angry with my progress.

I feel like a kid in trouble with my parent :) lol. This mind game is tearing me up. When I go to sit my leg immediately straightens I can't even get in my car with bent knee. I feel emotional today, if you can't tell :)
 
So why all the panic if you don't reach 90 degree ROM and right away talks of MUA?
My surgeon expected me to be at 90 degrees at the 6-week check up because he felt that there was a small window of opportunity to do an MUA which, according to him had to be done around the 12 week post op date.

For a few reasons I didn't want one and told him I would keep working with my physio (which i started at the 6-week post op date). He said that my bend would be "stuck" and that I could not bend it enough, nor could my physiotherapist bend it enough, to progress on my own due to the pain and an MUA was his recommendation.

He finally backed off but wanted me to come in once a week until I got to 100 degrees and eventually he told me he had reached out to his colleagues at a major hospital he had trained at and they told him that I could still gain ROM.

Yes, it took me longer than most but I am continuing to gain ROM at over 7 months post op. Having said that, some people do need or want the help of an MUA for various reasons, one being adhesions.

As it says in the articles posted here on BoneSmart, there is NO window of opportunity if you do need an MUA. It can be done long outside the 12 week post op date that many surgeons state.

What do you use to elevate your leg? I have found the "lounge doctor" very helpful, although not everyone likes it. I still use it at night for sleeping.
 
I have two body pillows that I put under my thigh. I fold up the bottoms of both ( I have short legs :) ) I. My recliner it's easy to get toes above nose. In bed I add another pillow under my ankle to get height.
 
@liam2015 thankyou for your post on this thread... very helpful to me as I saw my surgeon today and he was everything everyone on here warns you about!! I'm so confused. I can only hold onto hope that all will work out... :beg:
 
Are you comfortable with all those pillows in bed? Personally they would drive me crazy! Do they shift?

I’m very thankful my hospital sent an elevating wedge home with me. I didn’t like it at first, but I love it now, and like @liam2015 , I still sleep on it every night and any naps I take.

I also have back issues. I’ve been a side sleeper for years. But, having to elevate meant sleeping on my back. I do have an adjustable bed, so I’m able to raise the head of the bed up a little and it takes the pressure off my lower back. I tried raising the foot of the bed but my knee/leg didn’t like it as much as the wedge, so I only use the wedge.

I think one of the things that helps sleep is to lay still, something I could never do until I had to sleep on this wedge. It keeps my whole body still which keeps my knee happy.

I hope you can find a good sleep position soon.
 
Yeah the pillows are good and no they don't move. Knowing I have to lay on my back I am still. I am normally a stomach sleeper so... I keep trying the side hoping it will work :)
 
hi @funkymuse Having been through it and having been chastised by my surgeon for not pursuing physio from the get go and with a poor ROM at the time, I feel a lot of empathy for those of you in the same boat as I was.

I was so nervous going to the surgeon once a week after the 6-week check-up, I couldn't sleep the weekend before. I wish I could make you believe that it will get better even though it feels like there's no improvement from week to week. That's how I felt too.

Best wishes to you all.:friends:
 
@Robin, our feelings are so similar. I do not see my doctor til 1/3. I'm hoping Bonesmart will have paid some dividends by then. I don't think my doctor is the type to get angry but I know the little kid feeling. I wonder if doctors and PTs would be shocked to see how they come across to us. That's why I'm glad I made my speech at PT on Monday. Read those posts when you have time. I can't think about this anymore
 
Hi All,

I echo your feelings Robin. I went to physio yesterday and refused to let her touch me. She virtually told me that the consultant will not be happy and I'm heading for manipulation. It's still so swollen and painful. Really cannot take much more
 
My knee cap still looks pointed -- funny looking. I massage my knee quite often. I am 7 weeks post surgery. It is so much harder than we anticipated. But, this too will pass. I hope you can stop obsessing about the degree of the bend. How can your knee bend if it is swollen? It can't. Just try to concentrate on getting the swelling down by reading all the wonderful recommendations our advisors have shown you. I know you will be fine!!!!
 
@Tanya76 Good for you for not letting that PT touch you!

My PT would manipulate my knee cap for several minutes the first couple of weeks I went. It didn’t hurt and I didn’t know any better. After I found Bonesmart I found it’s not necessary and at 8.5 months post op I don’t like touching my knee cap at all.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom