Guest viewing is limited

TKR 48 hours almost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferni, would you be so kind as to create a signature in your profile that includes your surgery date and the knee that was done? It helps us to have that information handy on every post.

Your ice machine should work great. There is no way ice is causing any swelling....quite the opposite....it helps reduce swelling! More than likely the swelling is a result of your pain not being properly controlled (be sure you take the maximum dose of your meds right on schedule through the day and night) or doing a bit too much exercise or activity for this early in your recovery.
 
Yes, it does get better. I'm almost 4 weeks past surgery now. The first time I lifted my whole leg by myself, I cried with happiness and immediately put it on Facebook! That was at about 2 1/2 weeks. I think I lifted it a whole inch off the bed, but it didn't matter. I'd done it! I too set my clock to take pain meds (the same you're taking) every 4 hours, even at night, in the beginning. I'm up to every 8 hours now with ibuprofen in between, and the pain is manageable. I mistakenly thought I could handle the pain like I did with previous non-orthopedic surgeries, but I was wrong. This has been a hard road, but it does indeed get better each day. Hang in there!
 
Hi Fernie,
I've been home 1 week now and the difference is amazing. I too worried dreadfully about the fact that I couldn't lift my leg off the bed but it did and has improved ever since. Still on prescribed meds 4 times daily and no need for any extra through night like I did when I was in hospital. Exercise, ice and rest is my routine now. Would love to add lots of sleep to that list but I don't seem to last for more than a few hours at night just now but hopefully that'll change also :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you. Very helpful. Have gone back to using the ice machine.


Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
I run out of the medicine Tuesday. Guess they think I shouldn't need it anymore.



Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
Call your surgeons office first thing tomorrow for a refill, I'm sure they will without an issue. They can only prescribe so many tablets per script. My OS refilled my medications 3 times without blinking an eye. In order to heal you must keep your pain levels under control.


Brenda
 
@Ferni - I agree with Blendab. Also, so it doesn't catch you by surprise, you have to pick up a paper prescription and take it to the pharmacy for your pain meds. The doctors cannot just phone in for narcotic medications.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Definitely elevate - read the advice about how to elevate your leg properly. See what works for you with the ice @Ferni - if the ice feels uncomfortable then take it off or move it around. I iced almost non stop with my first knee bit this time I pop it on and off - but I agree with @kmann and @SuperSnapper about putting a cloth around the ice pad.
Its great that you are walking well and how is the appetite ?
 
I was able to have the OS refill my pain meds too. They just don't want to give you too many at a time so they can monitor you. Also possibly regulations on how many at a time they can give.
 
I added my info to my signature but don't see it showing up. My appetite hasn't been great but my son brought pizza tonight and suddenly... Yum.... Amazing how you're never too sick for pizza! Followed up with ice cream and now I feel kinda nauseous. Makes sense. Am icing now and then will do the torturesizes. Thank you everyone for your support. Can't imagine if I hadn't found this site.
 
Your surgery date is there. You won't see it until you hit post reply. Being able to eat certainly helps when taking pain meds.
 
If you're accessing on a tablet or phone via the app, you won't see your signature either.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Two big milestones today. Took off the water proof bandage and beheld a beautifully stapled knee and have cut the pain meds in half. So tired of sleeping every time I took them and the accompanying nausea. So far so good. Goal is to stop taking them completely this weekend. Actually feeling human today.
 
Hi Ferni - keep posting - I love the good recovery news!! I need it since I am heading down that path 3 weeks from today!! I am happy you are doing well.
 
My surgeon's policy was no narcotics after 2 days and everyone was discharged with tylenol ( paracetamol) and codeine but eventually I was prescribed Tramadol and paracetamol also as I can't take codeine. I never took the full dose of Tramadol either as I have Chronic Kidney disease and needed to get off any painkillers pretty quickly so after a 2/3weeks I came off the Tramadol too and just took paracetamol as needed. I used ice as a painkiller but have to say the oxycontin and oxynorm that I had in hospital made me feel dreadful, tired, sickly and just plain sleepy all the time.
 
I am the other way around. Tylenol does nothing except bring me to tears! I took narcotics for a couple months and tapered off them carefully. The first few weeks I took about 1/2 the amount allowed around the clock and after about a month I was down to one before bedtime taking another one if I woke up in pain which did happen a couple times.

This time around I was fine swallowing them but after the August 2014 surgery I had trouble swallowing and some tummy upset. I was prescribed something then took famotidine until I was completely off the strong stuff. I always had crackers and water handy and would eat a few crackers when I took the meds. That will carry the pill down if it was stubborn and helped with the tummy upset.

I only got a few pills first time around. Some people really don't need them I guess. I did and the second script was a generous amount. If you need them don't hesitate to go get another script.
 
I weaned off oxycodone naturally, I just forgot to take them because my pain was diminishing. I wouldn't have made it without the oxycodone. Tramadol did nothing at all for me.
 
@KarriB...I totally agree that life would have been a lot worse if we didn't have a strong medication to get us through those first few weeks. I'm 7 weeks out and still take a small dose of dilaudid at night sometimes. I just started taking Aleve today cause I forget when I last took motrin. So far pain free..
 
I ended up quitting the generic vocodin completely yesterday. Felt so much more alive and in such a better mood. Last night of course sleep was as usual an issue. I sleep 75 minutes then wake. When pain became a factor, I took 2 extra strength Tylenol and actually slept 4 hours. Longer than ever before.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom