TKR 48 hours almost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the jokes on me. Went to pt yesterday for the first time in almost a week. I told her very proudly that I was off the Vocodin and only taking Tylenol if I woke up with pain in the middle of the night. She was not happy and said I had to go back on the meds before pt as she has to manipulate my knee and it will hurt too much. She is concerned that I am only at 97. So, when I lay in bed last night in so much pain I took a Vicoden and it was heaven. I lay there for 2 hours before I fell asleep just enjoying the painless feeling.
 
97 is good for 2-3 weeks post op! My PT never manipulated my knee, only massaged. PT should not be painful. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you.
 
Can't quite believe the PTs in the USA, at 2 weeks l was at 90 at a push. UK PTs must have a different way of treating knees!!!
 
Well the jokes on me. Went to pt yesterday for the first time in almost a week. I told her very proudly that I was off the Vocodin and only taking Tylenol if I woke up with pain in the middle of the night. She was not happy and said I had to go back on the meds before pt as she has to manipulate my knee and it will hurt too much. She is concerned that I am only at 97. So, when I lay in bed last night in so much pain I took a Vicoden and it was heaven. I lay there for 2 hours before I fell asleep just enjoying the painless feeling.
Well, I agree with her that you still need to be taking the pain relief medication.

Apart from that, what she said is pure bunkum.

Never, ever take medication prior to PT so that you can stand the pain. Doing that masks the pain and pain is a warning sign that your knee is being put through too much.
By all means, take pain relief on a regular schedule, so that you have a dose about an hour and a half before PT, so that you are not running out of cover and not desperate for your next dose immediately after PT.

Do you remember this, from the BoneSmart mantras that were posted for you soon after your surgery?
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. Exercise only gently.
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.


I make it only just over 3 weeks since your surgery. A ROM of 97 at this stage is great. :yes!: :happydance:
You're already past the 90 degrees that many people don't achieve until nearer to 6 weeks. You're doing very well and you're ahead of the game.

Let the PT fret about your ROM, if she has some personal agenda for you, but don't you worry about it. That's her problem, not yours. I'll never understand why some PTs get hooked on the numbers. Function is far more important than numbers.

You do not have to please your therapist and you do not have to meet her goals. She works for you, not the other way around.
Your knee knows what it is doing and it will progress at its own pace - which is quite satisfactory.

Do not ever let your PT manipulate your knee or hurt you in any way. In fact, insist that she keeps her hands off your knee. You are the boss in this situation and it's up to you to protect your knee. You have the absolute right to say what will happen to it, so speak up and tell her you will not allow pain.

Just in case your PT is feeding you that old-fashioned, corny myth about a "window of opportunity", within which you have to achieve ROM or all is lost, read this again:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Best wishes. :flwrysmile:
 
Can't quite believe the PTs in the USA, at 2 weeks l was at 90 at a push. UK PTs must have a different way of treating knees!!!
Some do and I'll never understand why. After all, all knees are made the same way.
If knees in the UK can recover without a lot of aggressive therapy, why do knees in the US have to be subjected to it? It doesn't make sense.
 
I want to move to the UK!!! @Ferni ... that is awesome!!! See'll, it pays to only see aPT once a week with a long rest of ice and elevation in between. Way to go!!!
 
Thank you everyone for your support and advice. I went for my 2 weeks post op today and my wound and x-rays look great. However I cannot lift my leg. She feels it is because my brain is shutting down the muscle to protect the knee. So tomorrow at pt I start electric stimulation on my quad. I asked about returning to work and she said 6 to 8 weeks. Yikes. She said desk jobs are usually long as you have to get up and walk and the knee hurts in a sitting position. She also wants me on limited pain meds to help. Last night I was in agony and took one and the sweet relief was delicious and I savored the feeling of no pain for more than an hour and actually slept for 3 hours. So, you were all right. I was too early,, (10 days) to go cold turkey.
 
Be careful going cold turkey. I think it's much better to cut down slowly and naturally.
 
I'm still on the med schedule l had when l left hospital. Please don't cut back too soon.
 
Hi @Ferni -- have you seen the following article...

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition
 
None of my PTs have ever put their hands on me to manipulate anything. They have done very gentle massage, one to loosen up calf muscles and the other to loosen up knee ligaments. Never was this painful. They wanted to know if it was so they could stop. Anytime something they ask me to do hurts, I tell them, and they come up with an alternative. Therapy does not have to hurt.
 
I think I used the wrong word when I said manipulate. Sorry. She massages my thigh and thigh muscles and a little on my knee. She gently pushes my bent leg up towards my hip. That is where I am stiffest. Then I do all the exercises and get ice. We did the electrical stimulation and it worked. My muscle brain communication was restored and I can now lift my leg. My biggest concern now is the swelling. I swear it seems worse after the icing and elevation. Maybe I am looking for too much too fast. And will I ever sleep more than 1 or 2 hours at a pop? Oh well, glad I has it done. I will recover and I need to stop being such a baby. Thank you all for being here. God bless.
 
@Ferni-I am 8 weeks out and still have swelling as well. I think it's just from moving around on a daily basis that does it. Ice seems to help but it comes right back-especially after PT sessions. As far as sleeping goes, I'm right there with you. Can't wait to have even Four hrs of consecutive sleep!!
 
4 hours would be wonderful, wouldn't it? I just did my first 16 minute walk outside. I am going to try to add a minute a day. Of course I am walking back and forth over the same course as she wants me to avoid Hills and inclines. But I feel better for doing it.
 
Fermi I can assure there is a different experience here for each person. And if they had two knees done, each of those were different. I am 11 days out from a second redo of my right knee. It has never been better. Last time was horrid. It took a long time to walk any distance. Today I can walk 50 feet, raise my leg (a bit of a challenge). But I still elevate and rest as much as possible.

My point is not to compare. Work your own journey. We know overworking, etc do not work. We know elevate, ice and rest work well. Don't push yourself beyond what your body can handle.

We all have such a good excuse to watch movies and "eat Bon-bons". Let's enjoy what we can.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Well, I saw the surgeon Monday for the first time since surgery 7 weeks ago. After PT in the morning and working all day and then waiting in the waiting room for an hour and a half, I certainly wasn't at my best! He took one look at the swelling and wasn't too happy. :sorry: He liked that I could straighten my knee but wants me to massage it. He did it kinda rough, I guess to break up the adhesions? Anyhow he wants me to walk with my leg straight and putting my heel down first. Kinda like a Russian soldier. He wants me to walk in the pool and keep trying to ride the bike ( stationary) and will see me in 4 weeks. I asked if I was going to need a manipulation and he said he didn't think so. I told him I had gotten to 109 that morning and he said, yes but that was being pushed and I told him I did it all on my own. ( Felt like saying "So there!" ) It is funny, I was in such a good mood after PT, getting to 109, doing my first resolution on the bike and being told I only need the cane outside. Then he deflated my bubble and told me I am recovering slower than expected. Frankly, I am in discomfort at all times except when I am laying on the bed or the couch! LOL Well I am going to beat this! Tomorrow I will ask my PT how to massage and let HER show me how to walk correctly. I am so fortunate to have her, she is terrific.
 
@Ferni Don't let the doctor discourag you. Go at your own rate. Wonder if he has had a replacement lol. Everyone heals at a different rate. Sounds like you have a great PT. Keep up the good work
 
So glad you have a good PT you can trust. You are doing well, it sounds like to me. How dare that doctor touch you roughly. His problem, not yours. Just keep on keeping on.
 
Saw my PT today and she told me he actually gave me a good report!! Lol so we got so squared away and I feel much better.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom