TKR 48 hours almost

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW @Ferni - only extra strength Tylenol and you are just 10 days - that is Fantastic!!!
 
Ferni .... a few people are able to get by with minimal pain medication after a TKR. But most will require some form of medication for several weeks or even months after surgery. Please watch yourself and, if you find any pain/stiffness/discomfort, get back on some type of scheduled pain medication. Your pain levels can increase as your activity increases in the coming weeks. Do not try to "tough it out" if you hurt. This can make your recovery much more difficult and slower than if you kept pain properly managed.
 
Fermi I had BTKR 5 weeks ago. Yes pain is there in my left knee. I ice and I take pain meds but to help me sleep at night. I am getting stronger. Takes time. You will do just great.
 
I must admit that I came in to the surgery physically well prepared. I exercised about 1.5 hours 5 days a week, comprising of the Elliptical, Recumbent Bike, lifting 15 pound dumbbells and 35 pounds tricep bars along with yoga and stretching. My weight was spot on. I think perhaps that has made an impact on my recovery. I do have pain. CA barely bend my knee. The pain pills were reacting on me in an unacceptable manner. But don't worry, I wont hesitate to take one if I need to. I was surprised that the extra strength Tylenol worked so well. I will say this surgery requires a dedicated amount of time to recover and my recovery is far from over.
 
Fermi you have a wonderful attitude. We have been thru much. I use Extra Strength Tylenol as well but during the day. I still require Percosett at night because that's when I feel the pain the most. Keep up your good attitude. You are not alone. : )
 
Btkr! Wow. I cannot imagine doing both at once! You are a super star for sure ptmhcm!!
 
Ferni I had no choice. I was bone on bone and could hear the bones grinding away. And I got it over with in one shot. It's not for everyone. We are all different.

Just like you, the day after surgery I could only eat jello. I lost 20 lbs (a good thing) and I do my PT 2 times a day. I eat healthier now then ever before too.
 
@Ferni I have been quite comfortable with just extra strength Tylenol since two weeks post-op. For a week or two, since I didn't want to take more than 3000mg of Tylenol, I supplemented my bedtime dose with one Aleve. That worked for me.

My goal is to eliminate my afternoon Tylenol dose. The morning and evening Tylenol are just as much for my still to be replaced right knee as the already replaced left one. Maybe next year at this time I'll be in a position to not be taking Tylenol daily. My liver anticipates that day with much rejoicing.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Everyone is different with pain meds/control. I was in better physical shape with knee #2 (thanks to knee #1) but still needed the pain meds for several weeks. I had oxycodone for the first week or two and it put me right to sleep--I figured that was ok since I needed the rest. :) Then I went down to milder pain meds for a couple of weeks and gradually decreased and then stopped.
Generally a good guide is to listen to the knee--if you need the meds take them. And don't wait until the pain gets "really bad" as it's hard to knock back the pain from a peak.
But if fewer meds work for you, more power to you.
 
Did your knees have that scraped feeling? I have that feeling like when I fell on my knees as a kid and they bled. Both my knees feel that way.
 
No, not a scraped feeling, more like a tight rubber band. It is pouring today and that does affect my knee. I can get it straight but cannot bend it much. The PT almost brings tears when I do the slides and I have to do 40 every day. It is hard to get down on the floor. I have to maneuver from the couch to the floor then scoop along to get on my yoga mat.
 
Can you put your yoga mat on the bed? I did all my exercises on the guest bed. Getting up off the floor is hard and would be painful and your point in recovery. My brother in law had a board we put on the bed for me use for slides.
 
I can give it a try, thank you. The other day I had real issues getting up. I have to kneel on my good knee, hold on the coffee table and roll onto my toes to push up. No fun.
 
@Ferni I didn't always need the board to be under all of me, just my legs for most sliding exercises. I hope it works for you, it would make doing your therapy much easier.
 
Can we talk about pain? I believe pain is a valuable indicator that your body is saying "enough already". I taught Tae Kwon Do for over 10 years and would see people dose themselves with advil so they could stretch that much farther without the signals that their bodies were objecting. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't push yourself some, but you need to be aware. I keep being told to take my pain meds 20 minutes before physical therapy so I won't hurt so much. Do you all think that is wiser than being aware of just how much it is hurting you? Now when I wake up in the middle of the night in pain, no problem, I take the Tylenol, so. I'm not saying skip the mess. Just want your opinion about dosing before PT.
 
I believe Bone Smart says not to medicate right before therapy, but to stay on your regular schedule. I always made sure to ice for quite a while after therapy though.
 
I take Aleve and Tylenol before PT, but when I first started going they would ask me to take my dilaudid one hour before my session. Little did I know back then what they were planning to do, sadistic creatures. It's much better now.
 
I believe Bone Smart says not to medicate right before therapy, but to stay on your regular schedule. I always made sure to ice for quite a while after therapy though.
That's correct. If you take medication right before a PT session, it could mask the pain that is a warning sign.
It's best if you can get on a schedule whereby you take your medication about an hour and a half before the session. The pain relief cover that gives will take you through the session and you will not be desperate for the next dose immediately after the session.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom