PKR 4 months post TKR, 1 year post PKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to 107 today in PT... it took some time to get there.... I still felt a little disappointed, but I have a good bit of swelling right now, so I was not real surprised. I did get out this evening for party for my husband's work. It was nice to get out for something other than knee stuff! @sandbar525 I get to get off the warfarin on Dec 11th! I had my last blood draw today and less than a week till I can go back on my etodolac! I only needed it for 30 days. @Djbrund Thank you for the encouraging words, I have been reading your thread and about all the walking you are doing... can't wait until that is me!!
 
107 is really good, @hbacres !

You should feel great about thst number. I was a bit below that for the last few days. I know what you mean about working really hard to get to a number. Just because you get there, it is still stiff and swollen, not like you can get there easily.

I had my last INR check today too and stop on Dec 8th. That is progress!

I am impressed that you went to a party! Not sure I could have done that. It must have been nice to get out of the house, though. You are doing great!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yay!! 107 is great. My goal was to be 100 when I got to out patient PT. I made it and then some and that was about the same length out that you are. You are right in tract!! -- Joni
 
Well... I had PT again yesterday and came home pretty discouraged... which seems pretty typical for me right now. I went in and did 15 minutes on the bike and then my wall exercises and then my laying down exercises and then my PT came over to work on my leg. Usually this is not real bad.. sometimes a little uncomfortable.. but not bad. Well.. she took the old leg and bent it until I yelled... that is the first time she has done that. It got to 111.... but I was pretty upset. She said it was good.. she could tell I just had really tight muscles and such around the knee and there was no scar tissue. She said if it only hurts at the last little bit of the bend that it is just tight... if it hurts during the entire bending process then it is scar tissue. So, I guess that is good and the pain certainly did not remain very long with the knee.. the rest of my leg was pretty cramped up though. So, I figure I can bend it more gently than she did and I have been working on a lot of bending and stretching ... but I am not looking forward to tomorrow's appointment. That is the first time she has hurt me like that and my Doctor really likes her as a PT and she is the best one in our small town of 3,000 people. I just hope she does not hurt me again, I am going to tell her tomorrow that I am afraid of her.
 
@hbacres - while I am a wee bit jealous of the number, I hate that she hurt you! You really should tell her! I am sure the experts have more to say on the topic, but it is your body and you should tell her what is ok with you and what is not ok. I am sure you will. So sorry that you are discouraged! This is such a long road. I think you are doing great. Hang in there and go ice up to undo any damage she caused!!! Hugs! :loveshwr:
 
Well.. she took the old leg and bent it until I yelled... that is the first time she has done that. It got to 111.... but I was pretty upset. She said it was good.. she could tell I just had really tight muscles and such around the knee and there was no scar tissue. She said if it only hurts at the last little bit of the bend that it is just tight... if it hurts during the entire bending process then it is scar tissue. So, I guess that is good and the pain certainly did not remain very long with the knee.. the rest of my leg was pretty cramped up though. So, I figure I can bend it more gently than she did and I have been working on a lot of bending and stretching ... but I am not looking forward to tomorrow's appointment. That is the first time she has hurt me like that and my Doctor really likes her as a PT and she is the best one in our small town of 3,000 people. I just hope she does not hurt me again,

Don't be afraid of your PT. Don't hope she doesn't hurt you again - make sure she doesn't!
What she did was not good for your knee and you should tell her that it must never happen again. It's your knee and she works for you. You don't work for her.

Remember this from the BoneSmart mantras?
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you

Scar tissue - by that I guess she means adhesions - is really quite rare. It isn't just sitting there waiting to pounce.

Your degree of bend is OK for your recovery time. All that is stopping your knee from bending further now is the residual swelling inside your knee.

There's no need to rush to try and get more ROM. It can continue to improve for a year, or even more, after surgery.
This is how Campervan's ROM improved slowly and steadily:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
 
Thanks guys.. you all always make me feel better. I will have a talk with her tomorrow morning... I must admit I am nervous to talk to her about it, but I sure don't want it to happen again!
 
I will have a talk with her tomorrow morning... I must admit I am nervous to talk to her about it, but I sure don't want it to happen again!

It's in your hands - speak up for your knee:

"Dear physio lady, when you forcefully bent my knee it hurt a lot. Don't do it again. I will not allow you to do it again."

She must stop when you tell her to stop. If she doesn't, she is committing an assault on you.
 
@hbacres I agree with what the others have said. Please don't let her push you to pain. It will only serve to increase the inflamation and swelling. Sending positive healing thoughts your way! :)
 
OUCH! I'm sorry that happened to you. My PT let's me overdo the bend. I think I'm harder on myself than he would be. He helps me in a gentle way get more bend and I have to tell him each time when to stop. That's are deal. I'm really hoping that your knee isn't too awful after that. You will be able to tell if damage is done - the knee will let you know. I hate when I have to learn the hard way. Over and over, like a stubborn child. Take care of yourself. I'm sure you can find a nice way to communicate with your PT. -- Joni
 
All went well today at PT. I talked to her and told her I was having anxiety about how much it hurt last time and she took things much slower and gentler. I made it to 115 and totally flat today and that was without much discomfort at all. She thought I had turned a corner at this point and things were really going to start improving for me. I was quite pleased with my morning, came home and promptly slept for 4 hours!
 
All went well today at PT. I talked to her and told her I was having anxiety about how much it hurt last time and she took things much slower and gentler
Excellent---it is great that you took a stand---I know that it can be difficult---but by doing what you did---you communicated clearly and effectively, so you should not be in that position with that much pain!
made it to 115 and totally flat today and that was without much discomfort at all.
It is not about pushing---it is about being gentle---and you are doing great! Congratulations!!
was quite pleased with my morning, came home and promptly slept for 4 hours!
Aren't those types of naps the very best!!!
 
I am now off the warfarin and very happy for it to be gone. I am back on my etodolac and able to cut way back on the other meds, except for PT days. I am now allowed to only go to PT twice a week, instead of 3 times a week. I have spent hours massaging my quad, my calf, my scar and moving my knee cap and it has all finally paid off. Today I got the whole way to 125 degrees and totally flat.. :happydance:although the flat took more effort. I was so excited and will continue the massaging along with my icing and elevation. My husband finally feels ok about me moving about the house and I have taken over many of the indoor animal chores. I would really really like to get more than an hour of sleep at a time though. I pretty much dread going to bed at night now....But.. I am so happy to be over 120 degrees before my check up appointment next week, with my OS.
 
Today I got the whole way to 125 degrees and totally flat.. :happydance:although the flat took more effort.
That is great!!! That is outstanding!
I would really really like to get more than an hour of sleep at a time though. I pretty much dread going to bed at night now.
I felt very much the same way!! Night time was dreadful---but it will subside!

You are getting there!! What an awesome report---keep them coming!!!
 
WOW!!! @hbacres , that is fabulous. You are a star!!! My therapist is not going to measure me for another 6 weeks, which in my case might be good. But wow, that is fantastic for you. Going to outpatient PT now, I am finally getting the benefit of massage - given your post, I am going to step up the messaging I also do myself. I am so happy for you!!!!
 
Today I got the whole way to 125 degrees and totally flat.. :happydance:although the flat took more effort. I was so excited and will continue the massaging along with my icing and elevation.
Excellent! I'm so glad. :happydance::yay::yes!:
 
I was wondering.. did anyone have a femoral block? There was some trouble in my recovery with very low blood pressure, high heart rate, chest pressure and low oxygen... there was a good bit of concern. When I got home from the hospital I noticed a lot of ink in my groin area...lots of sort of wildly drawn lines. I did not have a femoral block that I know of.. or if I did, it did not work. Anyway... in that area of the groin I notice an ache still, 5 weeks out. When my pain meds get low.. that is what I notice. I believe I was pretty shocky coming out of anesthesia and I wondered if they tried to do a femoral block to help with the pain but I was kicking or something. Anyway.. wondered if anyone has had pain and ink in that area and had any idea what is going on. I have an OS appt on Monday and plan to ask him....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom