PKR 4 months post TKR, 1 year post PKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a femoral block, but I didn't have any markings on me. The anaesthetist did the block while I was still awake.
 
Thanks @Celle ! I imagine I will have to wait until I talk to the doctor to figure it out. I know I had a spinal, although I don't believe that it worked... I could feel my knee immediately upon waking up this time and the previous surgery the knee was good for about 24 hours with the spinal. I also had pain at the location of the spinal for several weeks this time.... I must have been a difficult patient.
 
@Celle I just realized we have the same knees! I have the Oxford for my PKR on the left and the Stryker Triathlon on the right! :yes:
 
I am now home from the hospital. Surgery was on Wed and I was released on Fri. I had some problems in recovery with my blood pressure and heart rate so they tried to go easy on the meds that would affect those. Eventually the got my pain meds works out for Oxycodone 5 to 20 mg every 4 hours and Robaxin every 8 hours. This has been working pretty well for me at the 10 mg Oxy dose along with Tylenol 3000 mg a day. I have my first PT tomorrow morning... other than the brutal PT in the hospital, which ought to be illegal. I have been doing ok this time around... maybe more emotional. My husband says he thinks I am getting around better and doing better than I was with the PKR in Jan. I am anxious for the pain to just be gone, the worry to be gone and to get on with life again... but I know, I still have many many hours of sitting here with my leg elevated and ice and waiting it out so I can reap the benefits later.
I had a little scare tonight when I thought my foot felt funny or numb... but I talked to a nurse at the hospital and my digital pulses are strong and similar.. so it is probably just from my ace bandage or position or something. I also had a little scare the other day when the stool I was using in the shower collapsed. It had a crack in the one leg, which I knew about, but I thought it would be ok.... it wasn't'... it started to bend and then broke. I landed ok, but tangled in the stool on the floor of the shower... it took some time to work it out, but I was able to get sorted out and up without tweaking my knee, so it was ok.
I have been keeping track of my surgery month buddies and it keeps my mind busy when laying here and not sleeping, like everyone else.
Robin




I am glad u are ok. I have partial so ur post kinda worried me. But I am glad that your home. Truth u said about pt in hospital. They are brutal. We are the one who has the right to tell them to stop. They don't. There excuse is we need to get yA ready for home. Or we need to make sure your not having any trouble. The pt there don't care. They think we can bend lol. She had my leg up. Told her I was in pain and she still did it. I scream. She stop.





SonnysWife❤️
 
@Celle I just realized we have the same knees! I have the Oxford for my PKR on the left and the Stryker Triathlon on the right! :yes:
My Oxford partial lasted me for 11 good years and gave me back my active life.

I've got 2 Stryker Triathlons now.
 
@Mary Davis From what I understand all the brands of knees are of great quality and one does not really last longer than the other. The difference in how long they last is placement and how a patient wears the knee. I am sure your Biomet knee is of great quality!
@Celle geesh... now I remember you had a PKR revised to a TKR.... I knew that! My post surgery brain was just not thinking straight! I hope to get 11 years out of my partial... actually I hope for 30 or 50 years out of it.. but 11 would be great!!! :heehee:
 
I hope to get 11 years out of my partial... actually I hope for 30 or 50 years out of it.. but 11 would be great!!!
Who knows? You could get what you wish for. Knee replacements are tending to last longer now. My Oxford only failed due to a very unusual mischance. Until that happened, I had no problems with it. I've never regretted I had it.
 
@Mary Davis From what I understand all the brands of knees are of great quality and one does not really last longer than the other. The difference in how long they last is placement and how a patient wears the knee. I am sure your Biomet knee is of great quality!
@Celle geesh... now I remember you had a PKR revised to a TKR.... I knew that! My post surgery brain was just not thinking straight! I hope to get 11 years out of my partial... actually I hope for 30 or 50 years out of it.. but 11 would be great!!! :heehee:




Thanks a lot for the advice and article. Helped me understand. I just don't wana do it again. What heartbreaking is I have a boy who will help me. My girl is mean to me. Ans well needless to say she is special needs. Her dad was mean to her I saved her. She has this older guy at school who is tiring her against me.
 
Ugg... not a nice evening here.. but nothing to do with the knee..sort of... I was sitting in my recliner chair with one of the cats and the doxy. I went to get up to get my dose of Tylenol and some part of the cat.. hind leg or tail... go stuck in the mechanism of the chair. I could not see this as he was tangled in the blanket I had on the chair. While trying to get our cat out of the chair... Both my husband and I got severe cat bites. I have a very bad bite on my hand and one not so deep on my foot. My husband has both hands and one foot. So, we went to the ER because, as a retired veterinary technician, I knew we needed antibiotics... especially with my new knee. So, we are both on Augmentin for 5 days. We got our first doses within an hour and half of the bites. I will call my OS tomorrow and let him know what has happened, since I am still under his care. My bite is very close to a tendon sheath so it will have to be watched closely. The cat... Harry.. appears to be ok... I was certain his leg or tail would be broken. We finally found him a short while ago and he is fully weight bearing and his tail seems fine.. I will examine closer once he calms down some more. Luckily, he is a cat we have had for 10 years, indoor and fully vaccinated.
 
Oh, ow! So glad you knew what to do! And I'm glad Harry's all right. It must have been frightening, as well as painful. I hope you and your husband both heal up cleanly and quickly.
 
@hbacres Very good decision to go to ER for antibiotics and also follow up with your OS. Certainly Harry didn't bite on purpose (he was just being a cat) but, as you mentioned, cat bites that break the skin can lead to infection. I hope everything heals up well and that you can continue on with your recovery! :)
 
My cat bite infection is finally looking like the antibiotics might be working. Until today it was slowly getting a little worse and I was pretty concerned.. but the swelling and redness decreased today! In other big news.. I drove the car today!:santa sleigh: It was only to the mailbox, but I did fine. It had been so long that I sort of forgot where every thing is located, it is a stick shift. Anyway, I go in for my 6 week check up on Monday and I will drive a little bit then too. I am off the oxy now and I am just taking Etodolac and Tylenol. I took Tylenol PM last night and it was wonderful.. I slept for 4 straight hours and then when I did wake up I fell right back to sleep. I had PT yesterday and made it to 126 and 0, she was pleased. I was going twice a week, but we are shooting for once a week with the holidays here and all.. but I can call in if I think I need to come sooner.
Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the season.. it looks like our little bit of Idaho will have a rainy/wet Christmas.
 
That's a great report!!! So glad you posted it.
 
@hbacres Good job on driving, specially with a stick shift! Doesn't that independence feel great? Keep up all the good work. You're having a great recovery! :)
 
Well... I spoke too soon... it turns out I am not off the oxy....couldn't sleep last night with my beloved Tylenol PM and had to get up and take 2.5 mg of Oxycodone in the middle of the night. I had too much deep aching pain in the knee and was very uncomfortable... after taking the oxy I eventually slept for about 3 hours. So, I think I am still on it, at least at night. I got to see my OS tomorrow and will see what his opinion is about me still taking it and if he wants to switch things up or let me continue taking it at night and for PT.
Yes, @sandbar525 it was great to drive and to know that if I needed to get somewhere, I can. I am really kinda a hermit and I work from home... so I don't go out and about that much.. but it is nice to know that I can at least get in to our little town if I need to.
 
It might be the doc gives you a "step down" narcotic or just says stick with the oxy at night if you need it. You are fairly early to be going off everything but Tylenol. But it's a good sign that you've needed less.
 
Ugg... I over did it yesterday... my husband kept warning me... but no.... I had not been out of the house that much and I just kept going..... I saw my OS for my 6 week check up.. he was pleased with my progress and how everything looked. I live in a very small town so our trip to the city yesterday included my doctor appt.and also included a trip to the vet for the biting cat and stocking up on supplies along with holiday stuff. Well, we were gone from the house for 9 hours! And I walked Costco, The Home Depot and several smaller shops as well! Today... not moving so much and guess what.. I have PT first thing in the AM.. that ought to be so much fun. Maybe I should just cancel... well... back to ice and elevation for me and maybe I will be able to stand around and bake cookies tomorrow.. or maybe we won't have any. My advice... don't let the call of freedom from the recliner be your downfall too... the knee is still the boss!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom