PKR 4 months post TKR, 1 year post PKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you can go backward, forward is not far behind. --that sounds odd, but you know what I mean :wink:
 
Yup @kneeper and @referee54 I am now going the whole way around forward without too much discomfort! I just came in from the cold from a stroll walking (two crutches for ice and uneven ground) out to visit my barn animals at the gate.... they all stood there and looked at me and didn't bother to walk the 10 feet to visit... goats! The guardian dog came over though so it was nice to see him. I am sure the pony would have come over... but he is another fence over. Next time I will lure my goats with treats. They did not like the crutches after my last surgery.. so that might be some of it.
 
I am now going the whole way around forward without too much discomfort!
Congratulations!!! This is not at all a smal victory--and these points in time are tremendous! :thumb::thumb:

I would pedal back and forth---go forward and backwards---for several minutes a few times a day----and then ice and elevate after each time.
 
Epic Fail today in PT. I arrived a bit sore and was unable to do bend very much... my ROM was not even worth measuring.... What did I do???? I reduced my Oxy. I was trying to reduce too soon and too fast and had no pain control when I got to my appt. Lesson Learned. I have had some pressure from a friend of mine who has addiction issues.. that I need to get off the oxy.... so I dropped from 10 mg every 4 to 6 hours to 5 mg every 6 to 8 hours.. So both my husband and I learned a lesson today and that is that I can not make progress in PT if my pain is not controlled and dropping the meds too low has now set me back. I am now fully medicated, iced, elevated and will be getting on the bike for a few minutes throughout the day to try to loosen things back up. I have read it here over and over, but I supposed I had to learn for myself.
 
I was trying to reduce too soon and too fast and had no pain control when I got to my appt. Lesson Learned.
This is a very common mistake---too often too many folks try to cut back waaaaaaaaay too soon on the pain meds.

Take those pain meds so that when you get to your PT appt., you will be already in the midst of pain management.

And,like most of us, the learning curve was somewhat quick---glad to hear that you will keep up with those pain meds.
 
@hbacres Isn't it funny how we read all the articles, read all the posts, hang on to every word but still manage to fall into a bit of trouble. The good news is that we have the support to get ourselves back on track again!:) Ice, rest, elevate and keep those pain meds on their regular prescribed schedule. I know you will bounce back soon!
 
I'm sorry you had a bad day. However, as you say, lesson learned about cutting back pain medications too fast.
Appreciate your friend's concern, but now you know that you still need the Oxy. Her story is not your story.

the time to start cutting back on pain relief is when you find that you are forgetting to take a dose until well after it is due. Then, cut back slowly and don't reduce both the dose and the frequency at the same time.

You might find this article helpful:
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
@hbacres - so sorry it was a bad day. Mine is about the same. PT is coming in a few minutes, and I do not think I am going to do very well either. Will be posting on my thread later. Hang in there my friend!
 
Hope you're feeling better after your little pain med "lesson." For me I started spreading the timing out before I reduced the dose. But it may be too early to do even that.
 
Well, I believe my body may have been begging for me not to mess with my pain meds.... I have not been sleeping much.. you all know the drill... can't get comfortable. Well, when I went back up to my pain meds as prescribed, I slept for 12 hours... yes.. that is 12 hours... I was up a couple times but immediately back to sleep. I actually have been up for an hour and feel a nap coming on. My body needed sleep and it was not getting it! Also I talked to my doctor's nurse yesterday and she is mailing out another Rx for me.. I was nervous about asking since many people have so much trouble.. but she volunteered to get me another Rx started so I wouldn't run out. I was very thankful for her open attitude about the pain meds. I also talked to her about stepping down to a milder drug than oxy and she said she didn't recommend that, we needed to go with what is working. I am fine with that.. I know I can drive on Oxy, but hey... I get to see a lot more of my husband this way!
 
Sounds like you did just what your body needed, @hbacres I am happy for you! Good to get cooperation from the OS office as well. :yes!:
 
A little worried this morning. All day yesterday my ice machine seemed to need new ice more frequently. I removed the steri-strips just yesterday so this is my first unobstructed view of my knee. This morning my knee was generally redder than it has been all along and I think it is hotter because of all the ice I went through yesterday. My body temp is normal. If I had an infection inside there, my body temp would be elevated.. wouldn't it? I am thinking this is just a change in the healing process and my hot knee is a little hotter.... It is slightly more swollen this morning, but not much. The incision line looks fine to me today... Any thoughts? I was gonna have my PT look at it this afternoon, unless you guys think a change like this is something to really worry about.
thanks.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 4 months post TKR, 1 year post PKR
Please, hbacres, stop worrying. Just keep resting, elevating (toes above nose) and icing, icing, and more icing. Heat and swelling will persist for at least another month. So take a deep breath, relax, and think positive.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] 4 months post TKR, 1 year post PKR
 
@bottomshollow Thank you so much for your reply!!!!!! I am iced and elevated...it is a relief to know that things that seem abnormal are actually normal :ice:
 
@LaxMom
PT is coming in a few minutes, and I do not think I am going to do very well either.
Do not worry about doing well---just worry about "doing." LEt the PT folks obsess about the numbers---you just keep dong your thing.
Heat and swelling will persist for at least another month. So take a deep breath, relax, and think positive.
Yep---your body is healing---just keep on icing, elevating, and resting---and try not to worry---you are doing fine.
 
I had a better PT today than Monday. I was able to bend to 104 with help today. I am still reaping the rewards of my bad behavior over the weekend. My knee is still swollen and mad about the drop in pain meds earlier, so my PT took it pretty easy on me today. She said she thought I would be much better by my next appointment on Friday. I am disappointed that my ROM is not better... but it is what it is... more ice, elevation, and meds. I can not wait until I am off the warfarin and able to take my Etodolac again as I think that will help me a lot. That will be next Tues. My PT checked the condition of my knee today and said it looked fine and didn't look like an infection was brewing or anything.. it was nice to have someone set eyes on it and reassure me.
 
Hi @hbacres I'm looking forward to stopping Warfarin, too. I expect we will see our swelling go down (hopefully significantly) once that happens. Just another 2-1/2 weeks for me...same for you?
 
@hbacres, I've been reading your thread. I think you are doing great. Good ROM, too. I had to chuckle at your attempt to reduce pain meds too early. I think we've all done that. Me, more than once. At 11+ weeks I rarely take anything for pain. I use ice for the occasional soreness for overdoing it. At 8 weeks I stopped taking pain meds before PT, to keep from pushing myself too far. Take care. -- Joni
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom