THR 4 days after surgery & continued recovery<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Chihuahuan
Hi, there aren't other New Mexicans on here there that I know about. We live in Rio Rancho. I hope you like the new doctor & don't have to wait until October. Once hips begin to go, they seem to go quickly. I see you have had both knees replaced too. It's quite an experience, isn't it? Keep me posted after you meet with the new OS.
Take care of yourself,
SweetPea69 (aka Shirley)
 
@SweetPea69 so glad you are doing so well, and that the hipster undies are working for you and @Arlene56! I never wore them before either....and I might not go back, lol.

Just catching up on your thread. Although the mechanics of hip recovery might be easier than knees (so I have heard), there is something about changing such a vital part of balancing our body and core. Age might play a part, but the location of this surgery impacts the surrounding tissues too....so don't blame it all on age :no-fin:

At 9 weeks, I am mostly pain free. Most days without any meds until bed, but regular household activities feel different....tiring or mechanically/balancing differently.:dubious: I can't explain it yet. Everything just takes more effort or drains energy faster? It's like my glutes and abdominal muscles on the operated side are in 'a fog'....and those muscles impact the lower torso....so it touches quite a bit of body systems. Yes, we will get there and it is so much better than the pre-surgical pain. Recovery just takes a while:whistle:
 
Good morning @SweetPea69 Your OP room experience was very much like mine. I didn't even glimpse the op with the first hip in Jan. I merely saw double doors and then bonked. There were so many strangers in the op room for this second awakening. I never realized how many people were gathered around my stone cold body. I'm just glad they hit me with the knock out drugs just as the spinal needle was going in. I didn't want to SEE that Hanna Table either. I didn't want to know my vulnerability. Now, after both are said and done, I've found the THR operations on the Hanna Table on You Tube and I've watched two of them. :shocked: I'm now finding them entertaining and I know why I have the bruises I have and why they are where they are. Amazing stuff. I'm so glad that my OS had a good education and caring parents and a loving wife and darling kids and that he enjoys getting up early in the morning. Watch the operation when you can. Gives you a great appreciation of your medical team and YOUR own recovery. --julie
 
@Toddlermom
I appreciate so much your different perspective as it gives me another way to think about it &, now that you express it, I do think the hips being so vital in our core & balance is important to remember. I also note you had the anterior approach & I had the posterior approach. If I have at sometime to do another hip I think, unless there were totally different procedure at the time I would choose the anterior approach although I'm not sure it makes a difference at this point in my recovery.

You have a good point too about the operated side being in a fog. I too mostly just take Tylenol during the day & a Tramadol at night & I'm 5 weeks out today. I imagine the night time Tramadol will continue for several weeks. I am so thankful that I don't have the "old hip" pain anymore. This is different but I know it will get better.
You are right about the hipster undies--I'm never going back. They're just more comfortable. :thumb:

I so much admire what you have been able to do & can't imagine doing it with toddlers the way you are! Your story & photos last night about the potty were classic toddler time experiences & produced much laughter after the fact I'm sure! My hat is off to you, my BS friend! So glad you don't have to have that second surgery now!
 
I can see why it took you so long to tell the tale! What were they thinking!! After numerous surgeries of my own, I've come to the conclusion that anesthesiologists are a breed of their own. I haven't met one that I felt completely comfortable with.
Glad once you were asleep you STAYED asleep!:wink:
 
@SweetPea69
Hello. I noticed on Cynthia777 thread you recommended a probiotic. I haven't done much investigating this but it appears I should. Earlier in my 6 wk postop, I was taking 1800mg of Advil along with a drug to coat my stomach. (My mind is blank...ergg). Within the past wk I have stopped taking so much Advil. Only take 200mg or 400mg a day. My stomach is still messed up. Sometimes it gets hard and I only pass little pebbles at times. I've increased water, have a protein drink for breakfast and have cut out cheese. I thought that since I am increasing my walking, my stomach would be doing better. I get cramps in my stomach as
well.
If one was just starting out with ProBiotics, what would you suggest ? We have a health food store in town and am going to go visit with them.
Thanks for much. I hope you are continuing your healing.
 
@Arlene56 Sounds like there is not enough fiber in your diet. You may need a multi-pronged approach. broken link removed: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/ccf/media/Files/Florida/Gynecology/18-how-to-manage-post-op-constipation.pdf?la=en
The Bonesmart library has some good hints also https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/
Probiotics like those in yogurt are just part of the solution.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Arlene56
It's too bad your stomach is bothering you, but probably not terribly uncommon. I'm still having some problems at times too. I agree with Chihuahuan's advice above but also recommend the probiotics. There are really only 3 suggestions I have for them: 1) start with the refrigerated probiotics for a few days, 2) use one of the 2 refrigerated capsule types that I recommended to Cynthia , & 3) don't spend your money on any of the probiotics that are not refrigerated. Understand I am not a medical person, so what I'm suggesting is from personal experience. Since you have a health food store, why don't you ask for their suggestions? I hope you are felling better soon!
SweetPea69
 
Hi BS friends!
I will be 6 weeks out tomorrow but don't have my post op appointment until May 17 because it has been postponed a few times. I've been driving, walking some with the cane & working part-time but have a few questions that I wonder if some of you might be able to answer or if I need to call my OS?
1) I've still got a limp but at 6 weeks out still can't put much weight at all on the operated leg without pain in the groin area. Is this normal?
2) the OS said I can fly to visit my 92 year old mom for Mother's Day& can drive or ride for short times. It's about 900 miles flight. Have my ticket but still am debating whether to go because I know it will take a lot of stamina. What are your thoughts or experiences?
3) The foot on my operated leg is somewhat turned in now. Is that because I don't have the muscles on developed from the posterior THR?
As a piece of information, I'm still taking Tramadol 50 mg and extra strength Tylenol as needed.
I appreciate your thoughts.
@Josephine can you weigh in on these questions?
 
Chihuahuan, SweetPea69
Thank you for your helpful hints. Will be going to Health Food Store tomorrow and chat about ProBiotics. Some of the recipes on the Bonsemart site are helpful as well. Going to try a few of those as well.
Thanks again and here's to a healthy recovery
 
@SweetPea69 I was quite calm going into the anti theatre room for my spinal this week, with lovely people giving me encouragement, but I have to say that once they got me on my side it was really scary hearing and feeling all the gadgets that were being clamped, screwed and hammered into place onto the operating table that I began to cry. I had a lovely nurse talking to me and holding my hands and the anaesthetist was giving me happy juice. I woke up to the sound of hammering and said hello to him, he said hello too and I had half an hour to go did I want to go back to la la land, er, yes please. It was all very calm. Job done. Wishing you a continued good recovery.:yay:
 
Yikes @SweetPea69 I just read what you went through with the anesthesiologist! You are one brave soul - I think I would have said "forget it" at that point and ask them to wheel me out of the OR! :scaredycat:

Your shawls are very pretty and colorful. Thanks for sharing the photos. We have some very talented people here on BS.
 
2) the OS said I can fly to visit my 92 year old mom for Mother's Day& can drive or ride for short times. It's about 900 miles flight. Have my ticket but still am debating whether to go because I know it will take a lot of stamina. What are your thoughts or experiences?
Maybe, it depends how you are feeling now. 8 weeks out is a bit iffy.You travelling with someone, I trust? We also have some guidance about it here Flying soon after surgery. Plan a lot!
3) The foot on my operated leg is somewhat turned in now. Is that because I don't have the muscles on developed from the posterior THR?
:scratch: Can you be a bit more detailed? Like is it when you're laying down, standing, walking?
1) I've still got a limp but at 6 weeks out still can't put much weight at all on the operated leg without pain in the groin area. Is this normal?
No it's not. But
 
I'd like to ask you some questions if you don't mind, and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery! :no-fin:)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home: (enter number) of sessions each day
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.

At PT
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.
 
Hi Josephine, I would be travelling by myself, but can get assistance at airports. There are 2 parts to my flights - one about an hour & 50 minutes & the next part around an hour with 55 minutes between flights. I can't get a refund on my flight but can apply the full amount to a future flight if I need to cancel, so I'm not worried about that if I decide not to go. I also have not told my mom I was coming because I wanted to be sure before I said something to her. I did read your Flying Soon after Surgery today.

If you consider from the side of my hip to my foot being straight ahead as being about 90 degrees, when I am walking my left foot (my operated side) seems to be about 100-105 degrees turned in while my right foot is probably about 85 degrees. If I sit with my feet reclined or standing it's about the same. When I lie down, my left foot is about the 85 degrees.


1. It's a 3-7 depending on time of day & how much I'm walking & whether it's uphill or not. Toward the end of day when I'm tired it gets worse

2. I only hope it's the rare exception, not the norm.
I still have oxy condone but haven't taken it in about 3 weeks. Instead I'm taking 50 mg of Tramadol (1 or 2) at bedtime & 1 during the day when it gets bad.

3. icing about 2-3 times per day

4. activity level - go grocery shopping for no more than about 30 minutes at a time & then get groceries in & away. I'm picking up & straightening up things at home. Not really any cleaning yet. Watering in the garden. Walking between 2200-3200 steps per day.

5. I'm not doing any PT; just walking as the doctor told me. I walk between 2200 & about 3200 steps per day. Which is about what I was walking before surgery.

As additional information, I wear custom orthotics because I have a broken down left foot filled with osteoarthritis. That happened when I broke it about 25 years ago but didn't know I broke it until about 9 years ago. I've also had bilateral knee replacement from osteoarthritis. My BMI is around 27.5.

I have good flexibility in operated leg; bend down fairly easily but carefully. & just started tying my own shoes yesterday.

Could you also address the limping at 6 weeks out? It feels less so than right after my surgery, but still feels like operated leg is longer.

Josephine, I know this is a lot of information but I value & appreciate your opinion. I'm just trying to decide whether to fly on May 3 & whether to try to see my OS before my follow up appointment on May 17.

Thank you so much!
SweetPea69
 
Just caught up on your thread. Hope all the things bothering you end soon. Glad to see you have good flexibility. I am still a long way from saying that! Take care!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
If this helps, I am flying to Lanzarote 8 weeks post op (4 hour flight) and my consultant said it was fine, just do the normal wiggling, moving around, flight socks, a baby aspirin few days before and after. I had worried because originally it was 14 weeks but I got cancelled.
 
@shirleyH
Thanks for the information. Lanzarote sounds wonderful & I'm glad you didn't have to cancel! Was your surgery postponed? I think taking a baby aspirin for a while sounds like a good idea. I wiggle & move on a plane anyway. In late July I'm going to Rome & know I'll move a lot then because I always do on that flight. Our son, daughter-in-law & grandaughters live outside of Rome. But That's a lot further out from surgery so I wasn't concerned about that, except for rebuilding my walking muscles.

I've appreciated your sharing with me & am thankful they put you right back to sleep while you were still in surgery! I am so glad you are doing well right after surgery. Continue your great progress & take care of yourself!
SweetPea69 (aka Shirley O--we share names )
 
when I am walking my left foot (my operated side) seems to be about 100-105 degrees turned in while my right foot is probably about 85 degrees. If I sit with my feet reclined or standing it's about the same. When I lie down, my left foot is about the 85 degrees. Could you also address the limping at 6 weeks out?
That does sound abnormal and I think you should do two things:
1. ask your surgeon for a review of your THR
2. get a second opinion of the same
1. Pain: It's a 3-7 depending on time of day & how much I'm walking & whether it's uphill or not. Toward the end of day when I'm tired it gets worse
Hmmm ..
I still have oxycondone but haven't taken it in about 3 weeks. Instead I'm taking 50mg of Tramadol (1 or 2) at bedtime & 1 during the day when it gets bad.
With pain scores such as you've described, you should be taking it 4 times a day -so why aren't you? You also need to take 1,000mg Tylenol with each dose too.
3. icing about 2-3 times per day
You never answered the question fully as I asked "for how long".
4. activity level - go grocery shopping for no more than about 30 minutes at a time & then get groceries in & away. I'm picking up & straightening up things at home. Not really any cleaning yet. Watering in the garden. Walking between 2200-3200 steps per day.
How many steps means nothing to be. I'm afraid. I'd sooner you told me minutes.
5. I'm not doing any PT; just walking as the doctor told me.
Good but then how much - distance or time please.

So my assessment is this: you're doing a but too much for 6 weeks out and the issue with your foot alignment and limping is not helping. Your pain scores are too high and under-medicated, so take the advice I've given there. Take your pain meds properly, do less and if you are only icing 20mins at a time, ice longer - 40-60 mins would be better 4-6 times a day. And get that second opinion.
 
@Josephine
Thanks for the response. my steps translate to about 1-1.5 miles per day (yesterday almost 1.75 miles) & have been icing for 20 minutes per time. I'll up,the icing both in minutes & number of times per day.
One of the things that has bothered me is that I am getting winded (running out of breath) more quickly as I've walked than before surgery. That may be due to the limping & the turned in foot.
Will call my OS today & look for the second opinion.
Appreciate your help!
SweetPea69
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom