THR 4 days after surgery & continued recovery<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Cynthia777

It won't be for a few weeks yet - I need to be more mobile - but I agree it's an awesome gesture!

Thanks for your support. All the replies, comments and help we receive via the forum really are much appreciated

Best wishes
Peter
 
Hi All, went for my 2 week check up today (tomorrow is 2 weeks). My incision is oozing but the OS thought it looked good. He thinks the oozing is probably from the Xarelto. I've never had a clotting problem before so he is taking me off of Xarelto & told me to take a baby aspirin with my morning & night meals until one month after surgery. Even though things looked good, he is putting me on a preventive dose of antibiotics. I'll go back in a week & will probably get staples out then.
OS was pleased with my progress in walking & gave me a cane to start transitioning to. He said if leg swells to go back to walker & keep alternating. Said I need no PT but walking.
Again, thanks for all of the wonderful support & advice from this BS family. I'm going to keep participating in this great group. BTW--is there an art sub-group of the BS family? I thought I had seen one but then couldn't find it again. I do felting & nuno-felting & thought I might post some photos this weekend if I get a chance.
Hope all of you have a great weekend!
SweetPea69
 
You're doing so well @SweetPea69! So happy for you and I'm really happy you're going to hang around! As far as the art group, I'm not sure if there is one, but I did see a crafter thread that might apply. If you can't find an art thread, you're welcome to start one in the community area. Would love to see your work! Here is a link to the community forum....
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/social-room.11/
 
All,
I'm sure it's normal but sometimes I feel it's one step forward, two steps back...& there's nothing wrong really. After going to doctor last week he said I could walk with the cane, but if the leg started swelling, alternate between the cane & walker. Anytime I walk much ( I mean feet, not yards) with the cane, my leg swells. So then I go back to the walker. I can walk more like gangbusters with the walker. The swelling goes all the way down to my ankle & foot. Is that normal? Any suggestions?
Also,'to the person who suggested the boyshorts underwear, thank you! I got some & they're so much better!

SweetPea69
 
@SweetPea69 I have swelling clear down to my foot as well. My Dr said that was normal. When I walk too far, my leg gets abit swollen. The boyshorts-they are the best. I agree
 
@SweetPea69 My OS told me right from the start that there could be swelling in my leg for months. It's still early days yet, you are still healing. All the inside of your leg that was disturbed has to heal too.
I've got fat legs, it's always bothered me, I used to wonder how I would know if they are swollen - I know now !
 
I get swollen ankles when I walk too much at the moment. Ice brings it down quite quickly though.
 
@Arlene56 @Simplieme @Zelda
Thanks for your quick responses! I'm glad to know to expect it so it'll help me accept it more. I had cut down on the icing so I'll go back to doing that more frequently.
Zelda, do you just ice your hip & it brings all of the swelling down?
Arlene, I had always thought the boyshorts looked like they would be restrictive since I have big thighs, but they are not at all. I'm so glad to find that out!
Simplime, I loved your comment about wondering how you would know if your legs were swollen. I wanted to ask the OS if he could take some of the fat out with the old hip but thought it would look strange to have the fat gone from just one thigh. Oh well I guess that's called plastic surgery & I'm not ready for any more surgeries than what has to be.
You all are a great part of the BS support. Hope you have a good day!
SweetPea69 (AKA Shirley)
 
Hi @SweetPea69 and welcome! Just read through your thread and it looks like everyone here has you up-to-date on a smooth and painless recovery!:yes:
I'm amazed that you were out and home within 24 hours!:wowspring:Is this standard in your area or was this your choice? This site is filled with information to help you along the way. So sit back, elevate, ice take those pain meds and read on!:yes!:
 
@keepmovin
Thanks for the positive thoughts! This is an awesome site & the support from all of the BS family is a lifesaver!
Before surgery my doctor told me I would probably go home the next day but since my surgery wasn't until after 2 in the afternoon so he said it would probably be two days. Then when he came by the next morning he said if I did the PT things I needed I could go home that day. So I got busy because I don't like to stay in the hospital because of greater chances of infection. He told me last week that he was surprised to see that I had gone home when he came back that afternoon. He also told me does hip replacements as out-patient surgery on younger people. I don't think I would want outpatient surgery for a hip but was glad to go home the next day. I think 2 nights in hospital is most common in my area.

It looks like you have had quite the hip journey as far as surgery &'procedures go. You're a brave soul & my hat is off to you!
Have a great day!
SweetPea69
 
@SweetPea69
Yes! I have had the journey and it's the reason why I got out of the hospital as soon as I felt ready which was 2 days this past surgery. When I was dealing with the infection, I was in the hospital twice for four straight days! It was horrible! They had me in isolation both times and even though it was a nice room with a view, I was lonely. This time I had a nice roommate and we got along well. She went home in the afternoon, I followed by leaving in the evening when my husband was able to pick me up.

Out-patient surgery on hip replacements? Wow! I guess that day will be coming for all of us, but don't think I could have done that!:dubious:

Rest, Relax and Heal!:flwrysmile:
 
@keepmovin
Wow! Two times of having infections. I'm sure you were lonely in isolation! I'm so glad you are doing well now! SweetPea69
 
@SweetPea69 - I hope some of that swelling has gone down. Ice and more ice! My PT told me that massaging the swelling would also help to move it. ( Best to massage in the direction of the heart.) I actually use a rolling pin - feels better than using my hands. Got that tip off Bonesmart. I had used the rolling pin with my first THR even though I had little swelling then (anterior lateral approach). I hadn't used it on hip #2 until yesterday. It definitely feels much better today after doing that.

In regards to something you posted on Cynthia's thread - I am curious why you chose posterior over anterior or anterior lateral approaches. Having gone through both anterior lateral and posterior (against my knowledge, as you know :tantrum:),
I feel the anterior lateral was less invasive, had less blood loss, less pain and swelling and a quicker time to become more ambulatory - at least that has been my experience. I realize (hope!) that the results will be the same in the end. For me, I wanted as quick a recovery time as possible, having to miss work for 2 surgeries' recoveries. (My work is quite physical working with kids under 3, getting up and down off the floor with them, etc..)

Wishing you a bright recovery day! :SUNsmile:
 
I'd missed your question - no, I put ice packs right on my ankles. I find my hip and incision area don't get that sore or swollen. After the first week or so I was mainly getting pain above my knee and up the middle of my thigh so that's where I put the ice most.
 
@Zelda
Thanks for the reply. I wondered if icing the hip helped the ankle.

@Readysetgo
I chose the posterior for a few reasons. 1. The first OS I went to only did the posterior but I had a friend who had anterior so I went to that OS who was with the same practice.
2. In the meantime, my husband went to the VA to have his 10 year old LTHR checked & we talked with him (he was very experienced & well trained) about both approaches. He said he thought the research showed very little difference long-term recovery & that I didn't want to have the anterior done unless the OS does at least 100 anterior surgeries a year.
3. When I went to the OS who actually did my surgery, he said he would do whichever I wanted but just recently released research showed very little difference in recovery after the 3-4 week period & he said with the posterior you mainly had to observe the 90 degree protocol & with the anterior there's always the chance of numbness in the thigh, although it's a small percentage. He also said the anterior required about an hour longer in surgery.
I then asked the OS how many anterior he had done and he said about 75 a year. So I asked him if I were his mother what would he recommend. His reply was if he had 100 mothers he would recommend the posterior because it's the gold standard and because it requires less time under anesthesia. ( I know this may cause controversy on BS, but it's just what my OS expressed )

I still don't know if it was the right decision, but, since I had just retired ( still working quarter time). & my husband is home to help me I made the posterior decision. I'm doing well , but it would have been much easier if I didn't have to wear these lace up shoes with orthotics because then my husband has to take care of that & it leaves me a little less independent.

Since you had to do 2 hips & are still working I certainly don't blame you for wanting the anterior for both. It's unconscionable that your OS didn't discuss this with you ahead of time. I don't blame you for being angry!

Hope you are doing well. SweetPea69
 
3 Week Update as of today
Hi BS family! I went back to the OS today &, after not taking out staples last week because of oozing, he thought things looked good & took out staples to be replaced by steri-strips. I'm walking at left 1/2 the time now on the cane, but still not walking a lot yet. Next week, that will be one of my goals.

I walk with a limp & the OS said if that wasn't better in 3 weeks we would talk about outside PT. I to,d him I just wanted to walk now.

I'm still taking Tramadol from time to time as needed and supplementing with arthritis strength Tylenol. Overall, I'm pleased but of course look forward to gaining more strength.

Thank you for all of the support & encouragement!
SweetPea69
 
Salutations @SweetPea69 and welcome to the other side. I lurk about a few times a week and read what others are saying and post occasionally. My RTHR was done in Jan and I'm nine days away from LTHR. I didn't experience much "pain". I only took two Norco tabs after hospital discharge and then decided to just try icing A LOT and using tylenol. That has worked for me. I believe I must have a high pain threshold though. I've walked around with grinding bone on bone hip joints for about two years trying to ignore as much as possible. My OS said, "you are walking around with that ?!" as he looked at my X-rays. I also spent 24 hours in hospital. My OS actually suggested I could go home early evening same day as replacement but the staff doctor rolled her eyes and strongly suggested an overnight stay with jello and frequent nurse checks. I'm glad she did. I know that everyone and every surgeon has different recoveries and suggested routines. My OS said that first week home in recovery I should limit walking to 10 minutes each hour. This included bathroom walks, getting water or snacks and any other activity that required me getting up and put one foot in front of the other. I used my walker the first week and pretty much stuck to suggested 10 min +/- an hour. Slowly increased time up and moving during the 2nd week and used a cane. I was able to "prepare" small meals for husband and self (he "can" do stuff but feels insecure and asks too many questions) such as sandwiches, soups, yogurt smoothies, cereal. Really simple, small things. Not a lot of standing. By 3rd week I was not using cane much in the house and I was able to drive myself short distances by week 4. I did have highs and lows with some swelling of leg, chills & slight fever, yadda, yadda but keeping up with these recoveries on BS and finding out what others did and didn't experience kept me copacetic. Like you, going home soon and my surgeon telling me over and over that I was super healthy and would do great, made me feel like I should just resume my life quickly. One thing I have discovered and have found out by following other Smarties is that, if you have energy and a really good day, don't overdo it. Save the energy and focus it toward healing because you can "bonk" easily and you'll want to have some healing energy in reserve for those days when you think this will never end. It does -- unless you have to start all over again with the other hip. :tiredwheel:

Looking forward to following your progress and finding out you've started doing half-marathons in the fall! Hugs --julie
 
@Squirrellymom
Thanks for the encouraging message! I love this site and the members. Such an awesome support group! Your advice is sound. I tend to want to do too much too soon.
Last night I had a dream that I was out walking perfectly, with no cane & no limp. I'm looking forward to that day! I hope it's a sign of things soon to come.
Your experience with your right hip hopefully will help you with your expectations for your LTHR on April 11. That's the same day my 73 year old brother gets his second TKR. I'm sending positive thoughts & prayers your way.
Take care,
SweetPea69
 
Hi BS Family,
Here I am 3 weeks out last Friday (March 11) & thought I was doing great, but just a few minutes ago started crying with a panicky feeling. I had to postpone a dermatology appointment because of surgery & it is tomorrow. At the time I made it I thought I would be up & going well by tomorrow. I had told my husband I could go by myself.

Then all of a sudden tonight I had doubts about being able to make it from parking lot up to doctor's office & realized I can't even get my shoes off by myself. (This is one of those check-you-all-over dermatology appointments) Of course when I started crying & talking about it to my husband, he said he will go & help me. I feel bad though because he has breathing problems & uses oxygen. I'm the one that usually drives him up to the door of appointments at the VA & then I go park where I can find a place. I've always tried to be the rock. It bothers me not to be able to be the strong one now.

I know we will make it & do okay if we take our time. I also know I'm blessed to have him to help me & to have the BS family to listen & understand my feelings. I'm so glad to have found this group. Thank you for being here.
SweetPea69
 
You are doing great! :hugzz: It's okay not to be the strong one sometimes. I think other people sometimes find it nice to be able to return all the support you've offered them.

I think the first time anywhere post-op is scary because you are still feeling your limits and they change day to day anyway. Fingers crossed for a hassle-free appointment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom