THR 4 days after surgery & continued recovery<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having bladder control issues & sometimes can make it to the bathroom in time but sometimes can't. I think I've read where is not uncommon. Suggestions for managing/fixing/coping with?
SweetPea69
 
Hi @SweetPea69! Welcome to the family! :loveshwr:
I don't know the reason for the bladder issues, but many members have experienced the same issue (myself included). Just in the past week (I'm 7 weeks post-op) I've finally stopped getting up two or three times a night, so just go with the flow (pun intended), as it will pass in time. I even stopped drinking fluids at 5:00 p.m. and I still needed those nightly potty visits. Other than the bladder problem, you seem to be doing quite well early on. Go VERY easy on the PT, I've seen too many members end up with chronic problems. If you're progressing well with just increased walking, I would think twice about PT (just my opinion). I think part of the reason my recovery has been so easy is because I took my pain meds like clockwork and I didn't do any PT (not even the mild exercises that were sent home with me). Now, keep in mind, I've been the proverbial "couch potato" for many years, so I know I'm quite out of shape and yet slowly but surely my ROM came back without trying. This may not be the case for many in here, but it has been for me.
Sending you prayers for an easy and unproblematic recovery. :-)
 
@Cynthia777--thanks for confirmation. I thought I had read it before. Now, Cynthia, we may have to fight over that "couch potato" queen title! I've done pretty well at it myself! After retirement in August I was enjoying walking & then this hip got in my way. I called the home PT company yesterday and told them I was suspending treatment until after I meet with my doctor on Thursday. Not quiet sure how they got referred to me anyway since my doctor's office said they didn't send a referral & prefer I just walk. I'll be investigating that more to see why I was referred.
Anyway about that bladder thing, I'm tired of it, but it just won't listen to me. I'm getting up about 3-4 times a night & making it sometimes & not making it sometimes. Will also talk to doctor about that on Thursday. Since you are 7 weeks out you are giving me hope.
I think my recovery is going well & I owe a lot to people like you on this forum! I learn a lot. Thank you for the prayers and positive thoughts! I appreciate those & your sense of humor.
SweetPea69
 
How strange that PT would just show up like that! I have Blue Shield of California and they won't pay for PT unless you get a referral (and I have their most expensive plan). I sure in the heck hope you don't get charged for it if your insurance company doesn't cover it.

Yes, the bladder issue just amazingly corrected itself all of a sudden. Can you visualize someone trying to run with crossed legs and at the same time pushing her walker (her name is Bridge-it :heehee:) as fast as possible, in order to get to the potty riser in time? Quite the sight I must say! :shocked:

You are so welcome! I'm so happy you've joined the family! Hugs!!!
 
Hi @SweetPea69 yes I'm another one with bladder problems. I'm four weeks post op. Mine hasn't gone away totally yet, but I've learned to manage it. The trick is to keep going to the bathroom during the day - before you need to. Don't cut down on your fluids - that's not good for you, I also wear pads. ( something I hate, but you'd be surprised how many others do too. ) I did have a slight problem with this before surgery, but I never not made it. Now I only get up once during the night.
It's not easy, but try not to worry too much.
 
@Cynthia777 and @Simplieme I know it is strange that PT just showed up. I'm concerned it may be some type of attempt at Medicare fraud so I'm trying to figure out the best approach & I think maybe it's best to talk with my OS when I see him on Thursday. I did call his office & got a call back that said he didn't order it. Then I called home health agency & asked who ordered treatment & was told it had to be my doctor or they couldn't authorize care. That, plus a couple of statements made in by hospital therapist makes me concerned. I don't think for a minute the OS office is involved. Anyway I will pursue it further. I think since we have "fog brain" after surgery and are vulnerable, it is easy for the unscrupulous to take advantage & I don't want people or,the government to be taken advantage of.

Now to the important bladder issue--Cynthia, I can visualize that walk neither Bridg-it because I've done it several times lately. Not fun & I'm glad I bought several disposable wet swifter pads before surgery. Thanks for the visual of Tiptoing thru the tulips. Simplime, thanks for practical advice on buying pads. I'm going to get hubby to take me to Walgreens tomorrow so I can get some. Hate the thought too of that but also know lots of people who do. Glad to hear yours is waning some after about 4 weeks. Hope that trend continues.

My heart aches & I'm praying for those in Brussels.
SweetPea69
 
I agree 100%! There are many people out there with one scam or another. I wouldn't be surprised if it is your home health care company, as I've read recent articles stating some of them are very unethical. I'm glad you're staying on top of it.

"Tip toeing thru the tulips"...you age yourself darlink! :rofsign:
 
@SweetPea69 You will be so surprised of all the choices there are for pads for leakage problems. I was overwhelmed. :shrug: I found the longer length ones to be good. There are all sorts of sizes and widths etc. I just sent my husband out last night to get me more pads. He even took the previous packaging with him. What a guy. I wonder if he was embarrassed?:flabber:

I used to not make it to the bathroom the first days at home. But leakage isn't that much of a problem now.

I wonder what our grandmothers did for this problem.

Good luck tomorrow!
 
@SweetPea69 I too had bladder control problems....even had a battle with a nurse in hospital over my continued use of the bedpan at nights during my stay. The first couple of weeks were difficult, especially throughout the night because of the time it took to get out of bed etc. I ended up purchasing a female urinal from amazon and kept it by the bedside...it prevented a few accidents I can tell you. Now it's packed away because I no longer need it. No doubt I'll be bringing it back out when the left hip gets done.
 
@Cynthia777 @Arlene56 @topaz
Cynthia, you are right that I age myself with "Tiptoe thru the tulips". I tried hard not to age myself until I retired this year & then just said, "What the heck! I'm 69. Go with it!" It makes me feel more free.

Arlene, I feel like our grandmothers must have done a lot more laundry for this reason. I'm sure I will like the longer ones too. I selected,the wale trip because they have a variety of things & it's easier to get in & out.

I'm sure my husband might be a little embarrassed but I think he would just probably be frustrated by not finding it. So I thought first time anyway I'd go. I haven't been into any store since surgery...it would be a nicer trip if we didn't have 50+ mile per hour winds today!

Topaz, Thanks for suggestion of female urinal. I'll keep it in mind if this continues or if I have to have another hip surgery.

All--today my husband & I are celebrating our 48th anniversary. We've laughed & said it wasn't quite what we pictured 48 years ago, but... We've both spent time taking care of each other & that's part of what it's about. We may try to eat out for the first time tonight. This is day 11 after surgery m

Hope all of you have a great day!
SweetPea69
 
Happy Anniversary and congratulations, hope you enjoy your meal.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Thanks to all. I hope we get to go because I kinda have cabin fever. He's wonderful at so many things but when it comes to finding things at home or in a store, he's blind! He wouldn't be able to find it & no telling what he would come home with. If he found something and thought it was right, he'd buy 8 of them just so he wouldn't have to go back....then I'd have to go return them
That is so true! They do a lot for us hippies!
I just got "the look" when I just said, "Honey, I need your help. I know I should have been more careful but I just dropped my phone & can't find it." He found it & got it for me & this is even after I lost it 2 times last night!✈️He may want to send me on a trip to the o Mars for our anniversary ✈️. I love the good laugh we are all getting out of this!
SweetPea69
 
@PS46, @Cynthia777
Oh, aren't we all thankful for a sense of humor & those whom we love & love us? Prune juice is certainly the flavor of the day. We had a nice dinner but then I was too tired to go to Walgreens. That will be a trip in the morning before the afternoon OS appointment.
SweetPea69
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom