THR 4 days after surgery & continued recovery<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zelda & @Simplieme,
Zelda, thanks so much for the affirmation. For me, things looked better with the light of day this morning. I know it was that sudden realization that I might not be able to do what I had assumed I could do that caused those feelings last night. It was exacerbated by their expecting me to work this morning (working quarter time). I declined to work a half day this morning even though there are things I need to get done. Decided to protect myself.
Zelda, I know I'm doing well, but, as with all of us, sometimes need reassurance. Both your reassurance & Simplime's agreement helped me with that.

Hope you all are feeling well & have a great day!
SweetPea69
 
4 week update
Hi All,
Just wanted to share with you a 4-week update. I think I'm doing well physically & am out walking with a cane. I can't walk but a few steps without a cane. 99% of the time, I'm only taking Tylenol. I'm driving & able to go in a store for a short time as well as do a few things around the house. I did work 2 half days this week & that was a struggle even though it's mental, not physical work. I go back to the OS on April 27.

Mentally though, I'm still struggling. Whereas I feel like I "walked" back for my recovery from BTKR, I feel like I'm clawing my way back from posterior LTHR. I know physically that is not true, but I feel much more vulnerable this time. My husband says it's the fact that I am 9 years older; however, I'd like to think that's not the case because I try to think of age as a state of mind rather than a physical condition. Knowing how others in the BS family cope & that I'm "somewhat" normal has been a tremendous help to me.

Meanwhile I'm trying to stay more mentally occupied by waiting for my "woman cave" (aka studio) ready and by planning designs and colors for the felted, dyed & nuno felted scarves & shawls I make. These endeavors all require a lot of standing & bending though so I've got a while to go for that. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready my room will be ready. Even though the light is not so good in them, I'm posting a couple of photos of my work to share with you all & will try to share more later.

Thank you all for being here & for providing the constant support for this family! Hope it's a good weekend for you!
SweetPea69
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 4 days after surgery & continued recovery<
    image.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 222
  • [Bonesmart.org] 4 days after surgery & continued recovery<
    image.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 213
@SweetPea69, what you said about feeling different for this THR than you did for bilateral TKR 9 years ago resonated with me. I am 68 and had my THR last summer. Looking back, I was a totally different person physically when I was 59, so strong in all of my limbs and my back, and with so much stamina. I don't feel different mentally or emotionally, just physically so much weaker, and therefore, more vulnerable.

I am glad you are making progress in your recovery, even though it isn't as fast as for your TKRs. May your studio be done by the time you are able to use it and make those lovely creations of yours!
 
@Krista
I didn't know if it was age or what. I've tried to convince myself it's not but I do know I don't have the stamina I did then. I've tried to make vulnerability ok but still have a hard time with it. Intellectually I know it's okay to be vulnerable but still have trouble accepting it emotionally. Since I lack as much strength I also worry about possibly falling & messing things up again.

I'm so glad you will be getting some relief soon, although for your sake, I wish it were earlier. I hope just knowing it's coming gives you strength!
 
@SweetPea69 - what gorgeous photos of your work and what a great skill you have! I am a great fan of felt and especially love when it is appliqué to say jumpers as it adds such interest and novelty. I'm sure working on your creations will help greatly with your recovery. Best wishes
 
Hi @SweetPea69

I found your four week update really interesting, particularly as I am just over four weeks post op myself. The only (only!) pain I have now is down the front of my thigh - at the bottom near my knee and at the top near the joint. I would call it stiffness and aching really, apart from the odd sharp pain at the top. I am feeling it a bit at the moment, because I did a lot yesterday and so it's a quiet weekend. The most energetic thing we have done today was to meet my son for a coffee in Cheltenham. I actually thought for a brief moment he was going to pay, but he was just removing his phone from his pocket to pick a message from his brother ...

My scar is about 4.5 inches long (my wife measured it!) and it is healing ok

I am taking a couple of Paracetamol during the day, plus usually a Codeine at bed time
I am walking with just one cane, which does make make me feel vulnerable when I am out. On the face of it, I look ok (well it's all relative) but I do wave the stick about a bit, so people can see I have it. I know exactly what you mean

I am able to walk a little with no sticks now, although I do look like a penguin. I am not pushing it

I agree 100% how helpful and reassuring this forum has been and will continue to be. It is human nature to worry about your progress/lack of plus aches and pains, particularly like me if this is your first operation of this kind

I would echo your thanks to all the people who contribute to the forum - you really are a tremendous help

Best wishes for your recovery - you are doing well!
Peter
 
@SweetPea69 thank you for sharing your photos of your work, it's beautiful, you truly have great gift.
Don't you just hate it when people say "well you don't heal as fast as you used to":groan:
I know I don't work as fast as I used to. I used to be able to clean the whole house in a day, now it takes me all morning to clean the bathroom ! ( well that was pre op )But I sure as heck am not going to admit it !!! :no-fin:
As you age, the term "old" moves. As Bon Jovi sang "I'm not old, just older"
My pre op walking with a cane was a " duck waddle". Now I'm concentrating very hard not to walk like that, but with LLD I don't know how not to.
 
@Miss Muffet @PS46 @simplime @Krista

While none of us wants others to feel any any pain, it does help us to commiserate with each other & know we're progressing normally. Yes, @simplime, it gets me when someone talks about healing being slower as we age. I told my hubby I thought I was superwoman but have come to the conclusion may not be. I like the Bon Jovi song. Right now one of my legs is longer than the other & it contributes to my waddling. Dr thinks it will get better as my muscles re-strengthen. I hope so.

Thanks again for support & positive comments about my felt & nuno felt. I love the organic process of it, the way the colors combine, & the creative process.
 
@SweetPea69
You have such a special gift. I love your photos of your work!! Wow! Simply beautiful. Do you have a website?
You don't have to feel badly for posting your concerns. We all are or have been in the same boat. That is what makes this forum so very special. Nobody puts you down, tells you how quickly you should be healing. It's just the opposite-like a better and understanding family. I truly have been blessed by everyone.
Hang in there. You are doing well.
Have a blessed wkend
 
Hi @sweetpea67, I just read the last page of your thread. I am going to go back to the beginning and catch up on your story. Your work is gorgeous! Wow! I love the colors. You are such a talented artist.

In yoga, the hips are part of the second chakra. What you are describing explains your feelings to me. I don't think it's your age. I have had extreme emotional pain and grief resurfacing since this surgery. I think it's actually healing to release it, but it is difficult. The second chakra has to do with our emotions, our relationships, sexuality, and finances.

It sounds like you are a sensitive and caring person. I also feel very vulnerable. It's normal. This is such a major surgery. In my case, it's also brought up a lot of issues that I struggle with as far as aging. I think you are doing really well. Take care.
 
@Arlene56 & @Hip Hip Hooray!
Thank you both for your encouragement & positive thoughts you are sending, as well as the response to my creative work. @Arlene56 I don't have a website yet because so far I have made & given away most of my felting, nuno felting & silk dyeing as gifts. It gives me joy to create & give to others. That said, my goal is to develop an inventory & set up a website sometime in the future--once my hip heals & my room is ready to work in.
@Hip Hip Hooray! I looked up the Second Chakra, read a little about it & listened to a meditation, which I will go back to later.
I hope you both are having a good day. Again, I'm thankful to be part of this supportive group. It's invaluable to me & many others.
SweetPea69
 
Hi @SweetPea69 Reading through your thread you seem to be doing great, at least from the physical side of things. And, your artwork is beautiful! I appreciate and marvel at the things I know I could never do - you certainly have a gift! You must put a lot of patience, time, thought and love into your work. I think we all must do the same for ourselves emotionally. We are constantly changing, growing and we must learn to do this more as we age. We must nurture ourselves more and be patient with the changes.

Wise words that were shared with me by another - I'm just starting to practice them myself.

My husband bought me roses for our anniversary. My favorite flower! I put them in a vase with water and the feeding solution that comes with the roses. A few hours later I came back to them and they didn't seem to be too 'happy' so I removed them, cut the bottom of the stems so they could breath and absorb the water. Within the hour the blossoms bloomed!

I think we are a lot like our gardens and nature. They need tending to and nurturing to grow into their beauty. :friends::SUNsmile:
 
hi BS family!
Now that I can be more pragmatic & not be so squeamish about it, I thought I would share my operating room experience. It seemed surreal. The anesthesiologist assured me I wouldn't know anything in the operating room even though I was having a spinal. I arrived at hospital at 10:30 a.m. & it was about 1:00 in the afternoon before they wheeled me in. Im not recalling any "feel good juice" at that time. First thing I see is 2 boxes of hip joints &, even though I love to learn, my mind is saying :bignono: I don't want to think about it or learn this much!

Once in OR, anesthesiologist decided to change the location of my IV for the feel good juice from arm to hand & then had me sit up for the spinal. Then they moved me to the operating table & turned me to the side. Still no feel good juice! They took these metal 2x2 inch stakes & started hammering on them on each side of me to keep me in place. I looked at my OR nurse & said, "I need to be out now!" He & anesthesiologist said they knew because it's no fun to hear the OS hammering the prothesis in my thigh & they kind of grinned. They then finally put me out & I didn't wake up til it was over with!

If I ever have to have surgery again I'll have a better understanding with the anesthesiologist. Meanwhile I just have to say I saw up close & personal how things were going the the OR & I definitely decided I don't want to be in the medical profession! Learning is great, as long as it's not so up close & personal!
SweetPea69
 
@SweetPea69 I agree! Your story reminds me of when I was 12 yrs old waiting outside the OR to have my hips pinned. I asked one of the nurses if I could see the pin. Well, she handed me this metal rod that was about 8 inches long......I nearly fainted!!!!!! (Thinking the pin would be something like a sewing pin) When I was being wheeled into the OR I announced to my surgeon and anesthesiologist that I had changed my mind and did not want surgery! Of course they just laughed, and said it was too late. Sooooooo heartless and insensitive!:scare:
 
@SweetPea69, I am shocked at your story, about the delay in putting you out and joking about the pounding. I would have been terrified! I don't even remember going into the operating room when I had my THR. Sorry you had to go through that. Shuddering...
 
@msmo & @Krista
Msmo--I can't imagine your having to suffer that at 12 years old!:no-fin: It's unconscionable for them to be that insensitive, especially for a child! I'm so sad to hear that & the fact of your remembering it with such clarity speaks to the lasting effect it must have made it hard to trust the medical profession!
Krista--it was definitely an experience I don't want to repeat!
I think it is easy for people to begin to think that what they do for a living & the specific activities related to it are so normal for them, that they lose awareness about how personal it is to the person who is experiencing it. Therefore they sometimes lose empathy & forget to consider it from other viewpoints.
Things like this need to be a lesson for all of us to remember to interact with others with empathy.

@keepmovin [/QUOTE] We must nurture ourselves more and be patient with the changes.
I think we are a lot like our gardens and nature. They need tending to and nurturing to grow into their beauty.:friends::SUNsmile:[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the wise & encouraging words on Monday! I'm so glad you had such a nice anniversary!

SweetPea69
 
What a shame that you were awake for that, @SweetPea69. I remember being wheeled into the OR. I said hello to the surgeon's assistants, and the doctors observing, and then I was out. I had a GA. I fell asleep instantly, and woke up in recovery. I expressed my terror to the anesthesiologist, and he assured me that he was going to put on the mask, and that I would fall asleep. (I think that's what he said.) I was afraid of the spinal. My surgeon had no preference, and I knew that the GA had worked perfectly for me in the past.

That's a lot of trauma. I think the emotional affects us just as deeply as the physical. That's why I've had to spend some time crying each day. I'm glad the surgery is behind you.
 
@SweetPea69 - I can't believe you had to ask them to put you out!! I didn't even like being awake and just seeing the op room for my hip #2. As you said, the whole experience for you must have been 'surreal'!

I thoroughly enjoyed the photos of your lovely felt work. It's very exciting that you plan on setting up a website and going into business with it! Thanks for posting the pics.

I hope you're having a great day with high spirits! :flwrysmile:
 
@Readysetgo & @Hip Hip Hooray!
My surgery experience I described last night was really something. I knew I would have to tell the story at some time but I couldn't bear to think about it for a week or more after surgery. I only hope it's the rare exception, not the norm.
@Readysetgo thanks for the encouragement on my felt work. I look forward to getting back to it a while from now.
Hope you all are enjoying the day. It is so nice & sunny here. I've been glad to get out some. :)
 
@SweetPea69 Hi fellow New Mexican --where are you? I live in Las Cruces and see the OS for the first time next Tuesday. My preferred surgeon's next opening for a hip replacement was in mid October so they referred me to a new highly experienced surgeon in town. I'm hoping for a date in July.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom