TKR 4½ years later^

You know what's right for you. Just go slowly at the gym you don't want to over do it and be in the ODIC:giggle:
 
I was lucky that my OS was very honest. He said about 8 weeks to go back to work (and when he learned I had 12 weeks available he thought that was even better.) He also told me up front that by 6 months I'd feel almost normal but it was up to a year to be completely back to "normal."
For knee #1 that was certainly the case. I feel like I've been on a faster recovery this time.
 
i too do not know how to change my title, so had to start a new thread. I am 5 months post op today. I took my bike out of the garage and rode it around the block! It was a bit stiff, and I did still have on slippers but the wind in my face was glorious! I still have a lot of stiffness and swelling, but am back to a daily routine. I also still take a Norco almost every day, but that is because I over do it and still have to make dinner and get my kids to sports. Definately struggle with two steps forward one step back!! I have been fortunate to not work this year as a teacher so have been able to deal with a slow recovery. I also walked in sand last weekend. I used my walking sticks and it was slow u til I hit the hard sand but amazingly I did not have any pain later in the day! I struggled with tibial band pain for about a month but that seems to be easing up as well. I cannot do stairs proficiently either. I can go up one at a time if I have the handrail on the left, if it is on the right I still can only do one stair at a time. Going down I still go one at a time unless the stairs are very shallow. just thought I would share. I enjoy reading the blogs of people who's time frame is similar to mine
 
Hi @50something, my post of last Friday was so similar to yours. I am just two weeks ahead of you and also beginning to enjoy life again. Funnily enough I was able to ride my bike for the first time yesterday, I was so pleased with myself! I had a lot of swelling every time I overdid it, which was quite often, and I would go backwards, but at last all swelling seems to have gone and I am finally living life normally, with hardly a thought for my knees. To everyone in the early days of recovery, be patient ( easier said than done), follow the BS mantras and eventually you will get there.
 
If you have a lot of pain and stiffness at five months, you are pushing too hard. You need another day off to elevate the leg and to allow the swelling to dissapate. I went to someone who did lymphatic massage at that stage and she helped me get rid of the swelling.

If you exercise a swollen knee, you are just irratating your soft tissues---that does not seem totally wise or productive to me.
 
As I read so many posts, they all seem to have the same message. If you have stiffness and swelling, slow down! I am not the slow down type of person, and with the bad knee and subsequent sciatica and lower back issues I feel like I need to move more, not less. I also lost 20 pounds post op and really want to tone and keep it off. If I do too much I stiffen and am sore, if I walk too much my tibial band flares up. I am a bit frustrated today! I am getting a massage later in the week and hope fully that will help the band issue. I take Motrin twice a day and still the occasional Norco 5-325( usually after over doing at the gym or later in the day). Anyone hit these walls and have advice?
 
@50something I was off my meds a long time, about 4 weeks, before I went to the gym etc. I ensured that I was comfortable before I started doing any "formal" gym work. I came off the drugs quite quickly because I rested, iced and did some stretches etc. (I believe that was the reason). I got a turbo Trainer for my bike for Christmas (16 weeks post op.) to help my knee rotation etc. and also to allow me to get off the bike if I was tired/sore...

I found doing a lot of walking made my knees sore and feel tight- I tended to walk too far and was still 2/3 km from home when the pain kicked in, so I went for exercises where I could stop quickly or build up over time.

Take your time (if you can) because you will get a quicker recovery if you do not hurt yourself - there is plenty of time to kill yourself in the gym/cycling/walking etc. in the future, when your knee does not react to the activity.

Take care

Mike
 
I am now almost 9 months out and still can get quite stiff and a bit swollen after a long day at work on my feet. I am a teacher and since school has started I really feel it! Is this still normal? Some days, I have to ice, rest, motrin, etc after the day. Sand is still a killer, bus since we do go to the beach often I really feel it after those weekends.
 
Yes, I think so. I am a bit more along in recovery, but at 8.5 months I was the same as you. At work I did pretty well if I was able to walk and sit intermittently (and throw my leg up on a desk), but standing for long periods got to me. The same thing would happen at home, like the weekend I decided to paint all the exterior trim on my house BY MYSELF, lol.

I'm going to throw out a weird tip for your consideration: at work it helps me to sometimes kneel into a sturdy (non-rolling) padded chair with my TKR knee, and/or utilize a small step stool to stand with my foot up like a pirate. In either case I hold onto something -the chair back or a wall- for support. The pirate stance might not be appropriate depending on your attire and the circumstances, and of course you wouldn't want to fall. I just find it helps to vary my position.

P.s. I am doing better with prolonged standing now (10.5 months). You will, too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 7 months post-op and have some stiffness and soreness nearly every day especially at night and when I first wake up. My OS, who I just saw 2 weeks ago, considers me at the "halfway point". He says that as long as I have full range of motion, which I do, the stiffness and achiness may persist for a year or better. He recommended Voltaren Gel (a topical anti-inflammatory) and physical therapy but warned me not to overdo, because I'm actually still healing.

So -- yep, I think you're having a normal recovery. It just takes time and we can't rush it, no matter how impatient we are.
 
Good to hear from you, Zen!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I am a little over 8 months and still have stiffness and swelling and aching. I have been to the OS twice in the last month. Yes, it must be normal. I was very lucky or just did not pay attention with my first knee. I was working with my first knee and never gave it a second thought. I have retired now and am busy but notice my knee more. I cannot stand for very long periods without the knee becoming stiff and a bit swollen and I have noticed that the weather has been playing a big part in how my knee feels.

Just hang in there, you are not alone with this, we all seem to be experiencing it. It seems you are doing the right thing when you come home. Just remember recovery does take a very long time.

@SeptemberZen I was given that Voltaren Gel and I did not notice any difference after a few weeks I just stopped using it. Eventually the pain I was experiencing was gone. Let us know if you get it and if it works for you.
 
@50something i was happy to read your comment on the swelling
Here I am 8 weeks out and have swelling which is annoying after standing for a little while
I see I need patience
Anyone use a compression sleeve to help?
 
@Dearjr i have used the compression stockings to help with swelling and the stiffness and it truly helped a lot. Of course when the weather was 95 degrees I didn't use them, I have even put them on on night. Seems to help with the getting up in the morning stiffness as well.
 
@fiberlady I just bought one that goes a little above and below the knee
It's hard to get used to the feeling of it on
 
@Dearjr they do take a little getting used to and some people don't like them at all. I had ones left over from my hip surgery since the OS and hospital no longer use them, I am glad I kept mine. If I was going to be standing and doing a lot I would put the stocking on and it did help keep the swelling down.

Do give it a try.
 
I am going to use them for work and see how it goes

They do decrease the swelling but after I take it off it comes back:bawl:

It's also takes getting used to but I feel a little better with it on
 
1½ years down the road......It has been a long time since I posted. However my knee has been sore and achy lately. I am not sure if it is the 11k pus steps a day, my diet, or normal. Anyone else continue To have pain and need to ice so far down the road? I do everything I want, exercise regularly and spend many hours a day on my feet as a teacher. But there are days like today that when I get home I just need to rest my knee.
 
50something,
Sorry to hear you are still having troubles.
But there are days like today that when I get home I just need to rest my knee.
Listen to your knee and rest, sounds like your knee still has some healing to do, and wants some rest.
It is frustrating to be on the slow road to recovery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom