TKR 4½ years later^

I still have a clicking knee. When I stand on it all day it feels boggier but I see no overt swelling or pain

Better than old knee though which couldn't bend
 
@50something ... You may notice that I've changed your thread title to better reflect where you are in your recovery. If you decide you would prefer something else, just post it here and we'll get it changed for you. But your old title indicating you were "five months out" really doesn't fit now.

Sorry you're still having pain and swelling. The answer is the same, though, as when you were earlier in recovery. Your body is telling you to slow down a bit. You indicated many times in past posts that you had difficulty taking things slow and easy. This can be a problem for some people and can lengthen their recovery. The best thing you can do for your knee are the old standbys of reduce your activity and ice/medicate when you have pain and swelling.

It's not unheard of for people to take longer than a year to heal. The thing I would caution you against is continuing to push yourself when you have pain and/or swelling. This can result in a chronic pain condition that is very, very difficult to overcome. Please listen to your body and slow way down when you hurt.
 
I am experiencing the same thing. Woke this morning to a stiff knee and still have swelling and pain. i am also about a year and a half out. I cannot stand for long periods of time, I can walk just fine, but standing is hard for me. When it gets really bad I try to take it easy. That is hard to do when you just want to get on with your life. I hope it does get better for you.
 
1½ years down the road ... my knee has been sore and achy lately. I am not sure if it is the 11k pus steps a day, my diet, or normal.
Anyone else continue to have pain and need to ice so far down the road?
I do everything I want, exercise regularly and spend many hours a day on my feet as a teacher.
But there are days like today that when I get home I just need to rest my knee.
@50something I think that anyone who did that much on a knee replacement would have pain and swelling even 1½ years on!
I have to as that if you are working and doing so much walking, WHY in heavens name are you still exercising?
Do you not see the contradiction in that?

Plus you proudly claim all that and then say "there are days when I just need to rest my knee" - may I suggest that if you didn't do so much, your knee would then be able to cope!
 
Pumpkin, I remember you from my earlier days on BS. Yes, it is odd, I know I should not even think about my knee at this point, but I do. My OS was very pleased at 12 months with ROM. I still needed more strength. He said I have another year. I do everything, pretty much. Ride a bike, hike, walk in sand, use stairs freely. But get pain and swelling at times. i had a fullthree days of manys teps, hikes and walks and now feel like I can't do things until I rest for a few days. Life is so much fuller and fullfilling than prior to TKR, but I never thought I would still take motrin so often!
 
Josephine, I am a middle school teacher, have two kids ages 10&13, and am 50 pounds overweight. I also have back issues. I like to exercise to be able to keep up with my family. Moving makes me feel better, most of the time. We live in Northern California where the lifestyle tends to be geared for outdoor activities. Plus, I am only 52 years old and want to be strong enough to keep up with my kids and husband. However, if I really am doing too much, then that is what I should know. I always strive for 10K steps a day at least 5 days a week, I give myself a break a couple of times a week. If I should focus more on bike riding and not so many steps then I can do taht too, Olet me know.
 
My OS was very pleased at 12 months with ROM. I still needed more strength. He said I have another year. I do everything, pretty much. Ride a bike, hike, walk in sand, use stairs freely. But get pain and swelling at times. i had a fullthree days of manys teps, hikes and walks and now feel like I can't do things until I rest for a few days.
Why did he say you have another year? Did he mean that healing takes much longer than you think?
You have the whole rest of your life, so there's no need to rush.

You can't force either your knee or your body to recover faster, but it will happen, as long as you do nothing to prevent it.

I think your knee is giving you a message that you are doing too much, asking too much of it. Ease off much of your activity, until your knee is happy again.
 
50something,
It is hard to find the right balance between just the right amount of activity to let your knee heal, and doing either too little or too much. I would cut back the walking to just what you do in a normal day, and keep your bike riding where it is. If your knee still needs more of a break cut back the bike riding, and so on until you find the just right amount of activity and rest. You may find you can be active one day, but need to take the next day or two off. You need to find the balance to keep your knee happy.
Give your knee time to heal, so you will be able to be active and forget about your knee.
 
Thank you everyone. My Dr said I have 24 months to reach my maximum amount of strength. He said after that I may not be able to get more. You are all right, I need to slow down and maybe do a little less or a bit more mellow exercise. I am feeling better already after two days off, but still hurt and have gotten weaker on stairs. I will listen to this body. Boy, can it be hard. I need to move for my back and other arthritic knee, but then need to rest. Tonight, I shall lay down! Love the bone smart peeps, you put me in check when I need it!!!
 
My Dr said I have 24 months to reach my maximum amount of strength.
Never heard this before. As long as you are alive you can get stronger. I wonder where he got that information, or is just using it to scare you into exercising (You do not need this type of motivation).
 
My Dr said I have 24 months to reach my maximum amount of strength. He said after that I may not be able to get more.
That's not true. There is absolutely no time limit. I wonder where he got that idea from?
 
So, things have been really good for these past four years. Sure, I have some limitations and weakness, but I do almost everything I want. I have been using an elliptical a lot lately and doing 11k steps a day while on vacation.

Now my knee is really stiff and sore. Is this just soft tissue damage?

I am taking it easy today and icing and taking Motrin. I have zero pain when sitting and stiffness and soreness when walking. Any ideas?
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I'd certainly like to offer you some advice about your pain but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Here y'go then!

Please answer these as it applied to the last 3-4 months.

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] 4½ years later^


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. Pain is 1..yesterday 4 when walking.

2. Meds. Ibuprofen. 600 mg twice a day.

3. Slight swelling. Can feel more than see.

4. ROM. Slightly less than 4 years ago.

5.
6.

7.

8. No PT
Exercise- 9-11k steps a day
Gym- Elliptical 30 min varying difficulty levels.

I feel I may have just over done it. I feel much better today. Not 100% but took a short walk and will focus on bike or pool for exercise this week. I forget it is not my knee! I also put on weight this year that I am working hard to take off. I am obese with 70 pounds to lose, but was 20 pounds lighter most of the past 4 years
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom