TKR 4½ years later^

I agree with Pumpkln about your activity. three sets of exercises three times a day is really too much when you are swollen.
I agree, as well---listen to your body---this is not a race---it is an ultra-marathon and there are times that you will get better results by practicing the "less is more" theory.

If you are getting swelling, then you need to back off on what you are doing.
I am worried I am going to stay on track if I do not do 3 sets every single day, but pain tends to slow me down sometimes.
Listen to your body---you are very, very early in recovery. I bet that you feel better---and I bet that the swelling will subside---if you cut out some of these.

It is not about "working harder"---it is all about "working smarter."

I understand that you feel that you need to help out around the home---and it is great to read that your husband and children are helping out greatly.

This is "me time" for you. It is about you---and your recovery and healing. Do not feel guilty about doing less---your body is doing plenty right now just by recovering!
 
Hi there. So sorry you are having issues with swelling. Definitely continue icing, resting and elevating - but I also found that my swelling seemed to go down a bit when I would cut out everything from my PT that wasn't a bending exercise. So, I would do heel slides lying down and sitting - and I also do some knee bends using an exercise ball and some very gentle standing bends. I would cut out everything else, but just do those gently to keep my knee moving a bit and that seemed to push out the edema somewhat.

Good luck to you.
 
We will see what PT says today.
Please remember that the PT works for you---not the other way around!
Send all,patience my way!
[Bonesmart.org] 4½ years later^

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!!
 
Good for you for enlisting the family and scaling back to see if that helps. I'm betting it will.....

If I had any extra patience :rotfl:....I'd send you some!!! But I'm patience challenged myself!
[Bonesmart.org] 4½ years later^
 
Hello I am 11 weeks po of ltkr. I still have swelling but particularly on the later side of knee. It's almost like a bump sticks out when I move bend. I had a fall 9 days after surgery and went down on sidewalk. I will know more on the 30th if it's damaged.
 
Ok, so this is getting ridiculous! I am now 7 weeks out. Swelling still inhibiting my ROM. I am retaining fluids in both legs so no need to call regular doc. Saw my OS yesterday and they want me back again in one week because they are concerned about my ROM. I did get the go ahead to go into a pool so I thought today I might try some mild water walking. Could my additional water retention be due to lack of exercise? I have never been so sedentary.
 
As you have already realized every knee is different. If your knee is swollen you aren't going to get the ROM that they think you need. My first knee I only did the exercises from my PT days other days I just walked around, rested and iced. I was working from home and did not actually have time to exercise. It did not hinder me in any way. If the swelling is not going down it seems to me that maybe you are doing too many exercises and you need to elevate that leg and ice it a lot. I would go to my GP and see what he says maybe there is something going on (especially if you are retaining fluid in both legs) that the surgeon is not seeing. Could not hurt.

Are you taking pain meds, as so many have told me on here swelling is also a form of pain. I hope you get this resolved.

Patience, what is that, I think after so many weeks we all seem to lose our patience, we feel we are done with this and it is time to move on. But, we need to give our knees just that, time!

Hoping the best for you.
 
Needing a bit of a pep talk here. Just hit the two month mark and am using a cane or one crutch most of the time still! I finally got enough flex ion to rotate the pedals of my recumbent bike. I am increasing a minute or two a day. Got to 11 min and 1.7 miles yesterday. Still feeling so behind the mark, but then again I know we are all different. When I read the posts about people walking miles at this point, I feel frustrated. Saw the dr. Last week and he was fine with flex ion and straightening. I am still just so stiff, swollen and wobbly.
 
Hang in there!!! You are doing well and yes, we all heal on our own schedule. Be wary of those bragging of supernatural results..... TKR is a big deal considering the work that goes into the procedure. My wife remarked that TKRs are not for sissies......

As Referee/Tim mentioned.....be patient.

Be deliberate about your exercises; don't overdo; continue the icing and elevating.

Best to you!!!
 
I am at seven weeks and still need my cane and probably will for some time, as we all say every knee is different and every person is different. I too have been very frustrated because this knee is not responding as well as the last knee. I keep asking myself the same questions you do. I don't know how others could walk that far, I could never go that far. I haven't even been on a bike yet, good for you. I saw my OS on Monday and he was happy with my rom and flexion. My therapist believes I am doing really well and right where I should be. It seems you are actually doing just fine yourself.

So, I think you are doing just fine, we both have to accept where we are, we don't need to keep up with our neighbors. In time we will be with the others and walking long miles, but in the meantime we have to just let our selves heal.

My therapist said that when my knee was stiff, it was because it wanted to move, mostly with easy stretches, my knee gets stiff and I am still wobbly. Patience and time we will get there, if you need to have more pep talks just shout out we are all here to help.
 
Hmmmmmm ooooops I rubbed out the mark sorry. There is only one thing to really think and that is hey in comparisson to 2 or 3 weeks ago look at improvement. If you push to this mark it can hinder your healing. I have a hill 1000ft thats my goal but heck im not going up it yet as stubborn me I probably could but would come down wayyyy toi quick a definite oooooopsie. This process can be very frustrating but you are progressing. Oh btw I pushed and pushed again and suffered. Well thinking isnt my forte

Legin THR Sep 14
 
So, I got some water tablets from the doctor to help with my edema which may help lighten the swelling in my knee as well. I took a day off from all exercises except ROM. Took my 9 year old to the movies and went out to dinner. I took my cane, which made me feel way older than my years, but it was another step in a positive direction. Today is a new day, beginning with pain of course, but will get back to exercises and bike and trudge fwd through the sludge to get to the other side!
 
Hey good sounds like good normal stuff and cane is only temporary to allow you more intendance. Just he careful re exercises and pain. In a normal circumstance would you hold onto a red hot pan handle. Why exercise to poimt of pain.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
My left knee was a much harder recovery than my right, which is going very smoothly. What I did when I got discouraged was write down something I could do today that I couldn't do yesterday. It helped. It seems like it's taking FOREVER when we're in the middle of it, but honestly, in a year's time, it will seem like a misty dream.

Barbara
 
I exercised regularly prior to this journey. I want to get strong again and reduce swelling. My new PT guy is brutal and he brings on two days of pain. Will need to have him be less aggressive, however he is getting me more ROM than my other gal. I was misguided thinking I would be off pain meds by now. I still take them every 5-6 hours but am trying to do more each day too. Simple things like laundry and cooking, and basic errands with my kids.
 
Barbara, I could not imagine doing this again in three months time. My left knee was scoped four months ago and I hope it stays healthy for a while. My family has been great but this takes its toll on them as my kids are only 9 & 12. I lol forward to our summer! Have two trips already planned!
 
Swelling goes down with healing. I had av footfall of 25000 steps per shift at work and did 40 hrs in 3 days ending hours before surgery. Pain equals damage yes gentle stretches but pain is wrong. Would you let someone inflict pain on your kids? So why let a brutal PT.

Legin THR Sep 14
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom