TKR 4½ years later^

When was your surgery? I wasn't happy that i had to have both knees done--was very active and never had any trouble, and then within the course of the year, all the damage showed up. Tried to put it off for 4 years, but in the end, it had to be done and now I'm glad. My surgeon will not do bilaterals (they are less and less common, at least here) and I had to work around travel schedule and some work deadlines, but five months was just about right. Now both are still healing, but I'm feeling better every day.

One thing worth mentioning is that the healing doesn't seem to go in a slow, gradual climb. It's more like big jumps and then plateaus. One day, you realize you are much better, then it's awhile, and you wake up another day, and it's much better. Hang in there.

Barbara
 
Chortle bit like my hair woke up and gone. But totally agree with Awriterafoot

Legin THR Sep 14
 
My surgery was Dec 17. It has been 9 weeks. I had a productive day yesterday doing two small walks and even walked the dog. We are at the coast this weekend so maybe the sea air is s helping :). I appreciate everyone's comments.
 
Way to go @50something. I'm amazed at the support I have, people want to help. Good on your 12 yo for stepping up. RICE is definitely the way to go. Patience is the name of this healing game....its a bit 2steps forward one step back at times but it is ultimately forward. Your journey to full recovery is as individual as finger prints....no two are the same. Don't get discouraged because you are not running a 4 minute mile yet...LOL. Take care and listen to your body. Cheers Maggie x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here I go again! This time it is my quad. Has anyone had issues with their quad not firing for a long time after surgery? It has been 10 weeks and my quad is still not functioning enough for me to walk 100% device free. I am finally on a stationary bike, and following my regimin but....
 
Can be one of last bastions im still working on mine. Wee steps
 
Ugghhrrrr, it is just one of those things no one can tell you might happen. People are walking and functioning at 11 weeks and I am still hobbling with a cane. Who are these folks who are so fortunate to be able to walk a mile at one month?,
 
I am almost 5 weeks post op from a TKR and am battling a lot of swelling. I am resting tons, icing and doing my exercises 3 times a day. I am tring really hard not to over do it. I know this takes time and am mustering all the patience I can. I am just 50 years old with two kids under the age of 12. I had a horrible day yesterday and could only do one round of exercises. I am worried I am going to stay on track if I do not do 3 sets every single day, but pain tends to slow me down sometimes. I am still taking 5mg oxcodone 4-5 times a day.
My question would be, is exercising three times per day to much? I just got rid of a lot of swelling today by extra elevating, icing, and using the three pillow method. Hope you get relief soon. I am a week out tomorrow from TKR.
 
I had a problem early on with my quad not firing, and I used an empi Phoenix tens unit that would fire the quad for me and help wake it up. It really helped.


Sara

RTKR December 1, 2014
 
My question would be, is exercising three times per day to much? I just got rid of a lot of swelling today by extra elevating, icing, and using the three pillow method.
Yes, three times a day is too much. Once a day, plus moving around the house, is really all you need.
 
Sometimes we place too much pressure on ourselves in the I would expect to be or look at others mode. We are all individual with individual recoveries. Just as we all entered this in a different place so our recovery will be different. Let your body heal follow the guidelines and relax it will come.m

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@50something , I hate to be a Debbie Downer but swelling, stiffness, and sleepy quad- that describes my recovery and I'm four months out. The last time I saw my OS's PA (Jan. 29th) he acknowledged the swelling, asked about my exercise regimen and said, "you need to try harder". ?! Huh? Try what??

In the month since that appointment I've alternated riding my stationary bike, a real bike, doing PT-prescribed exercises, gentle swimming, working 12 hr night shifts, and doing nothing at all (but elevation + ice). Nothing- no combination of any of the above- helps. As soon as I start walking around my knee swells, and it is always swollen anyway. Honestly, I don't know any TKR recipients whose knee is this swollen at this stage of recovery. My early optimism has given over to genuine concern. Tomorrow I'm making an appointment with my surgeon.

I hope you fare better than I have so far.
 
Ugghhrrrr, it is just one of those things no one can tell you might happen. People are walking and functioning at 11 weeks and I am still hobbling with a cane. Who are these folks who are so fortunate to be able to walk a mile at one month?,

Ain't it the truth?? Forgive me for jumping into the middle of this convo, but you just described exactly how I've been feeling. I KNOW everyone's recovery is different, I KNOW that progress is not always linear, sometimes you can suddenly do something you couldn't do the day before. ..but even so....
At six weeks, I have less severe pain, but still have achiness, occasional swelling and constant stiffness. I go on a few short walking trips weekly to the market holding on to the shopping cart or out to dinner with little difficulty but I walk with a cane verrrry slowly to ensure that I'm bending my knee rather than just swinging it out... and then I come here and read that someone walked their dog for a mile, or went back to work, or breezed through their PT, and I'll admit: I feel discouraged and a little depressed, wondering which week will be the "magic" week for ME: the 8th week? 10th? Sigh.

Sorry...guess I'm on the pity pot today...
 
nd then I come here and read that someone walked their dog for a mile, or went back to work, or breezed through their PT, and I'll admit: I feel discouraged and a little depressed, wondering which week will be the "magic" week for ME: the 8th week? 10th? Sigh.
Never, ever, compare yourself to others---there will always be somebody who recovers effortlessly and goes back to work at a week to ten days.

My recovery took five months to lose a little limp! Six months---80%-85%; eight months to get to about 90%-95%. All is great now!

Stay the course and keep your eyes on the prize! you will get to the destination of being fully recovered---on your knee's time and on your knee's schedule.
 
Hi there, @50something - looks like we had TKR 1-day apart!

I totally understand the frustration about watching others recover faster. I had everything going for me before surgery and just knew I would be one of those miracle recoveries - but, my body had other plans and I lagged behind. My pain was off the charts, my ROM was pretty terrible for weeks and I got really jealous of others who had surgery after me who were already out walking a mile or with 40 degrees more flexion. As helpful as these boards are, I had to take a few breaks because reading others' success stories was inspiring, yet made me very depressed.

I never had a miracle week, either. My ROM gains are around 3 degrees per week, in a good week...but, I'm still making gains. I ditched the cane a few weeks ago and can walk a little over a mile - but sooooooo slow. I don't walk the dogs yet and I don't like walking with my husband because I feel pressured to walk faster, which makes me limp and causes pain - so I go out alone and practice my gait at my own pace.

It's a lot easier to say, "Don't compare yourself to others!" than it actually is - I get it. I was working so darned hard and was so motivated, but my knee just didn't care! I know I'll get there eventually and I'm already planning a big vacation in early September - yay! Just having that on the calendar has given me renewed motivation to take care of myself. If I'm not 100% by then, I'll still be fine. :)

Just keep on truckin'!
 
I was working so darned hard and was so motivated, but my knee just didn't care!
It's ironic really. We're all programmed to get good results from working hard but, with recovery from a knee replacement, working hard often has an adverse effect. This recovery is one example where Less is More.
It doesn't seem fair, but there it is!
 
It is good to read these replies today. My PT still wants me to use a cane until I do not limp. I have taken a few days away from exercise and hope this week will be good. I tend to push really hard for a few days just to throw myself out for a day or two. Tomorrow it will be three full months and my swelling, sucks. I also have bursa on both knees! Yep cannot compare myself to anyone.
 
Hiya we are all diff i still hv swelling foot bursts from shoe and for first time i hv a real manly calf shame other isnt. Some fly thru others dont. Its ok to feel icky abt it but it will get better. Try to keep smiling
 
At Clipless what did the Dr
Say? Yes I.swell instantly when I walk. I am trying to resume life. The one plus was a big weight loss from feeli g icky from meds. It is hard to keep smiling! I was super optimistic the first couple of months now I am just getting frustrated and angry. Booked a fun trip to Los Angeles.for spring break and I do hope I can go play with everyone.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom