TKR 4½ years later^

Hi there! I have no good advice about your pain & swelling, but I know just how you feel about getting frustrated and angry at times. My only consolation at times is to come here and read through recovery threads to realize that even though I feel like I am recovering so slowly, there are many others who were slower than me. I start feeling so great, and I go for a walk or go to the gym, and then I feel awful for a week! Even my husband commented on how atrophied my thigh and calf are now, but it's just impossible for me to do much to build that muscle back up.

I've booked two vacations later this year since we haven't had one since 2013 - it was just driving me crazy! I keep trying to plan and then those thoughts of, "Will my knee be in good enough shape to handle it?" keep popping in. I'm just going to pretend that my knee/leg will be rebounded by then. :heehee:
 
Im sure you will enjoy the break and trip, when I ripped calf muscle I was on crutches we went to a big fair I hid crutches so could go on rides.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I can so relate to all these posts! I recognize how far I've come. Still, I am occasionally frustrated. I guess I just want all this to be OVER.

Didnt take a pain pill before bed, but sure enough, like clockwork, my knee woke me up at 3 am -- as usual. So I just took my Percocet which not only eases the pain, but helps me sleep as well. I'm supposed to go back to work in 3 weeks but my surgeon's PA is reluctant to refill my prescription. I substituted Tylenol for the Percocets a couple of times but they don't really get the job done. We'll see. .

Also having issues with weak quads. Was in the store the other day when my quad didn't fire and I almost tripped. Luckily the cane caught me so I didn't fall. Can't even think of going out without the cane anyway since I still have a LOT of stiffness even though my ROM is good, and still struggling with a little daily swelling after exercising or if I'm out shopping and I'm on my feet too long.

I've learned not to be envious of the speedy recovery of others but I must say I am amazed when I read some of these posts. I dare not leave the house without my cane while some are out walking the dog? Whew - glad I have a cat! LOL! If I had a dog, either the Boyfriend would walk him or he'd walk himself! No way I could do it!
 
Just to add a bit more to the idea that some people have a great recovery and for others it sucks. I've had a great recovery, I'm lucky, but at 16 weeks have only just stopped having some swelling after being on my feet for too long. Occasionally my quad still has a slight buckle but I'm not worried about it as it is getting less. Also even though I can walk a long way my knee is stiff for a short time each morning and after I've been sitting down for more than a few minutes.

For me all these are fairly minor after the arthritic pain of before. But I am very well aware of how depressing a knee recovery can be. And I so sympathise with you. After a microfracture, my knee took over 18 months to fully recover and it was very, very frustrating and painful and debilitating.
 
Recovery is different for everyone. Check out functional status and the 36 point questionnaire for recovery from a trauma (voluntary like us with our knees or involuntary like a heart attack). Bottom line is that recovery typically is between 3 and 6 months (tending round the 6) and may even be longer in some cases. @Josephine may have something to add to this. Be patient ppl....Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Thanks. Maggie! It genuinely helps to be reminded that 3-6 months is the norm for most of us. I'm truly happy for those who spring out of bed in 4 weeks and go right back to resuming a normal life....but if I'm going to be honest, I'd have to say that it's also sometimes disheartening to hear about it for those still struggling with pain and swelling and continuing to need assistive devices.
Hope I didn't offend anyone, but that's the truth.:sneaker:
 
If anyone tells you they spring out of bed at four weeks and resume a normal life, I think they might pay for it later. We all have our issues.
 
September we are all diff in recoveries im still struggling but then im a tad daft. Its like I said to kids when I taught them to drive go at your pace and feel safe. When you feel unsafe problems happen and accidents, sorry for butting in

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I guess I had the gold standard for recovery but know that I worked very very hard before the surgery and also had a lot of luck and most of all a terrific surgeon....I have certainly had physical pain before but would never have thought in a million years I would be relatively pain free 3 days after a bilateral....for some it could go either way and I feel fortunate that mine worked out well..but with that I still clunk like crazy....

Vinny
 
I will be at the 4 week mark tomorrow and really thought I would be one of those "spring out of bed"people..but um...no...my knee seems to have a different agenda than my mind...I am very happy with the progress I have made and noticing a big difference in just that last 3 or so days...My goal is to be driving by the end of this week, but only short distances, I need some of my independence back! I try to remember that there will ALWAYS be someone ahead of me and ALWAYS be someone behind me...we are all individuals and will heal out our own pace..and thats OK...Hang in there and remember that today you are 1 day closer to being pain free! Life is Good..
 
I will be at the 4 week mark tomorrow and really thought I would be one of those "spring out of bed"people..but um...no...my knee seems to have a different agenda than my mind...I am very happy with the progress I have made and noticing a big difference in just that last 3 or so days...

I hear ya, @Spencieca! Can't really complain about my progress even though I have down days occasionally.

When I asked my surgeon about the recovery process prior to surgery, he casually repied, "Oh, most of my patients are driving by 3 -4 weeks and they're back to work within 6 weeks for the most part!" He knew I was nervous about consenting to the surgery and I think he was trying to put the best face on it. He's a top surgeon and my procedure was done at a hospital consistently rated in the top five in my area so I felt good about it. But I chuckle to myself sometimes because I think now that what he DIDN'T say was, "SOME of my patients are back in the saddle within four weeks," nor did he mention that some may be working, driving, etc, but not without also dealing with ongoing fatigue, achiness and stiffness. He didn't mention those little details..... LOL!
 
I think that most Drs would put the brave face version of recovery to patients. I still am very stiff and swollen in the mornings and after any prolonged activity (don't get excited this could be after a trip to the shops or a visit to friends....basically it is anything where my legs are vertical for an hour or more). I am lucky cause I have managed my pain well and now only take the occasional pill. It is 7weeks post op today for me. Maggie x
 
Turning another corner! Have decided to cut PT to once a week. I am doing a lot of work at home and will soon run out of my quota per insurance. After loosing almost a month of progress due to swelling I am beginning to feel much more human and mainstream. I still limp, move slowly and am weak with pain, I can do so much more and go out again. Yesterday I tried the ARC trainer at the gym and it felt great. Today I have PT and have sore muscles so I will feel it is sort of another waste of time. I wished I could just measure my knee by myself! I have begun taking ibuprofen for the swelling, so only need pain meds occasionally. Such a good feeling. At over 3 months post op I am a bit behind the mRk but am beginning to see some light at the end of a very long tunnel.
 
Stick with it. It will get easier in time. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It is difficult when you seem to be behind in recovry but we are all different but just lookback a week or two and see the differance. Keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
At over 3 months post op I am a bit behind the mRk but am beginning to see some light at the end of a very long tunnel.
Who says you are behind? It took me five months to lose a pesky, little limp---it was not until eight months when I felt that I was close to 90%-95%. you are doing fine---it is on your knee's schedule, not yours, nor your OS's or the PT folks.

You are making progress---yes, the tunnel is rather long, but you will each the end of the tunnel---the light at the end of the tunnel will indicate that you are fully recovered. Remember, that for a few folks, recovery can take upwards to a year---you are doing fine!
 
Turning another corner! Have decided to cut PT to once a week. I am doing a lot of work at home and will soon run out of my quota per insurance. After loosing almost a month of progress due to swelling I am beginning to feel much more human and mainstream. I still limp, move slowly and am weak with pain, I can do so much more and go out again. Yesterday I tried the ARC trainer at the gym and it felt great. Today I have PT and have sore muscles so I will feel it is sort of another waste of time. I wished I could just measure my knee by myself! I have begun taking ibuprofen for the swelling, so only need pain meds occasionally. Such a good feeling. At over 3 months post op I am a bit behind the mRk but am beginning to see some light at the end of a very long tunnel.
That's fantastic! I'm at a little over 2 months and planning to go back to work in a couple of weeks. Still have a lot of stiffness and some swelling and walk with a cane. At most recent checkup with OS, he said I'm doing fine. So, in a few weeks I'll be where you are -- you give me hope! :-)

By the way, I quit PT a week ago. Their agenda didn't mesh with mine, so I'm doing it on my own.

Best to you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom