Guest viewing is limited

THR 3 weeks post op and I have regrets

I am officially 3 weeks post op today.
I am still using a walker but practicing with a cane inside my house. I went to PT to help with walking and transitioning to the cane.

I still have the fear and the regret. I hope it goes away and I can get back to life and some resemblance of normalcy. By choice I am still observing all of the hip precautions but It is getting old fast
I’m exactly like you, worrying all the time. I’m 3 weeks tomorrow… uncemented lateral approach. As well as finding the Bonesmart site, I’ve joined a hip replacement Facebook page. It appears there are so many things that can and do go wrong. There doesn’t seem to be a time when bad things can’t happen anymore, whether it’s 6 weeks, 6 months or 2 years.
I have a 1st physiotherapy appointment tomorrow since leaving hospital, and I’m scared they’re going to a) make me do something dangerous or….b) do something risky to me.
 
I completely understand the fear with PT.
I told them I am observing all hip precautions and if you ask me to do something that violates I will not do it.

they wanted me to lay on my side and do clam shells , I told them NO

they wanted me to do bridges and I said NO
I will do glute squeezes but no bridges yet
 
they wanted me to lay on my side and do clam shells , I told them NO
they wanted me to do bridges and I said NO

Bridges - Can cause generalized tendinitis particularly in quads, glutes and hamstrings.
Clamshells - Especially hard on the IT Band. I’d avoid both.
The best exercise is walking, but not to excess.

Here is an article that may be of interest -
 
I am about four months from having THR anterior on my right hip. The first few months I had many days where I was freaked out that I was never going to get better, or something really bad was going to happen. Now I rarely have any pain, can do my normal hikes and I am even doing some light weight lifting with my legs. I was wondering if it was going to be worth it for a while, but now I am very happy.

Hang in there.
 
I am having an pain in the lower part of my quadricep, a couple of inches above knee

Is that a “normal” part of the healing process or something to be concerned about ?
 
My guess is it is something temporary that will be replaced my something else that will be temporary. It is the way recovery seems to go.

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Check this little diagram out. We have all experienced what it portrays.
[Bonesmart.org] 3 weeks post op and I have regrets

Make today a good one! I have faith that you can! :SUNsmile:
 
I am having an pain in the lower part of my quadricep, a couple of inches above knee

Is that a “normal” part of the healing process or something to be concerned about ?
@Scared one - I had pains like that for sure. I had pains all around my knee, various areas of my quadricep, etc. I do not really have those pains now. I do have little twinges infrequently when I am doing something active, but it gets less frequent.
 
My guess is it is something temporary that will be replaced my something else that will be temporary. It is the way recovery seems to go.

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Check this little diagram out. We have all experienced what it portrays.
[Bonesmart.org] 3 weeks post op and I have regrets

Make today a good one! I have faith that you can! :SUNsmile:
This doodle nails it!
 
For those who like to exercise and want to get back to cardio workouts, such as stationary bicycle and the elliptical, when did you start doing that again ?

When can upper body weight machines at the gym be used, noting getting on and off the different machines

I had anterior left hip replacement
 
My surgeons said at least 3 months out and then no resistance for at least the first month back in gym. When do you have your followup visit with your surgeon. I would ask for guidance at that meeting.
 
My OS let me go back to gym at 3 weeks only using upper body machines. I was still using cane to move around the gym. I am at 10 weeks now and have been back on stairmaster at gym and elliptical , and stationary bike. I have treadmill and stationary bikes , recumbent and regular at home and have been using them since about the four week point building up time very slowly starting out at only a few minutes. Talk to your doctor listen to your body you will know when you over do it.
 
Good heavens. Sounds a ferocious regime and if you still need a stick even at the gym all those machines are not really helping much!
Forget the gym and just focus on walking?
 
Trying to get too active too soon can lead to tendonitis and other issues that can really set back a recovery. Having the patience to allow your body to heal before worrying about rehab will pay dividends. As I believe Eman says this operation is like getting hit by a car in a sterile environment.
 
Happy Sunday!
I hope you’re having a good weekend with some nice Autumn weather.
The trees are at their peak color change in my neck of the woods and it’s beautiful! They’ll soon be bare and then the Winter cold. Not my fave. Just think how good you’ll be feeling by the holidays. Should be a great Christmas for you and a wonderful New Year! :banana-santa:
@Scared one
 
Good morning, thank you for the nice message. I did get outside yesterday and walked on my street a little with my walker. It felt good .

I feel like the walker is too cumbersome for me now and I’m ready for the cane , I will be 4 weeks post op on 11/3/21.

Ive been trying the cane inside my house
Small loop in the hallway, walls for added balance
but I am very wobbly on the cane
 
Congrats on moving to the cane and I’m happy to hear you took a little walk outdoors.
I initially practiced adjusting to a cane in the house doing loops through my kitchen and living room, but started along a wall as you mentioned, with hubs on the open side, until he got tired of it, lol. I was ambitious that first day, walking in circles and I overdid it! Crazy, but I did. I guess I was thinking practice would quickly make perfect and spent a little time in my recliner the next day with rest and ice…then I was good to go again.

Feeling wobbly - the best advice I received from a PT was to engage in heel-toe walking.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try. I think it will help you feel steadier on your feet. At least it helped me feel that way.
I hope today is a good one!
@Scared one
 
Here is a visual on Heel-Toe Walking
1633975544223.jpeg
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom