THR 3 weeks post op and I have regrets

@Scared one

I'm so sorry you are still in pain, and I'm sorry your surgeon told you to work harder. When I had my 6 month post op, the surgeon for my first THR wasn't happy with my progress and told me I wasn't working hard enough. I proceeded to do so and injured my other hip.

Sometimes surgeons get stressed when patients don't progress as quickly as they would like. Did you explain your pain to him?

I'm sure you've thought of these, but are you taking Tylenol or anything for the pain? Does it make a difference? Have you stretched the offending quadricep? Does that make a difference?

This quadricep has been bothering you for a month. I'm so sorry!

And don't worry about staying on the cane too long. It will come.
 
I'm not as analytical this time around. After my first op Im sure I probably was, just like you are..
You sound like you're doing really well despite your worryies.
You can walk smoothly, at a good pace and no pain. That's great.
Layla has given you great advice - its early days and maybe you are just healing.
A supermarket trolley helped me walk initially without a cane/crutch and to feel symmetric. Bet you can do that! :)
 
Last edited:
A supermarket trolley helped me walk initially without a cane/crutch and to feel symmetric. Bet you can do that! :)

Useful tip for sure, Hopper. Thanks for noting that here.
Eman85 did this for both of his recoveries and has shared the tip on the forum also.
 
I did use a shopping cart a lot for post-op learning how to walk PT. The support of the shopping cart worked great for me and allowed me to really concentrate on posture and walking properly. The big WM is just a couple of miles from my house. Once I was driving I would go about every day. I would park at the furthest from the store cart corral that had a cart. This way I could leave the cane in the car. The cart offered good stability and protection from anyone bumping into me. Also I could blend in just pushing the cart and stop and lean on it if I got tired. I am not responsible for any overspending that might occur but it's great PT.
 
@Scared one Would you consider going to a massage therapist to help you with your thigh pain? I did with both of my THR's and was so grateful for the relief it gave me.
I'm biased though as I am a Therapeutic & Oncology Massage Therapist and know just how beneficial a good session can be. I also know of some good colleagues in my area to trust my care to.

You wouldn't want or need anything with deep pressure, just some nice swedish strokes.. many of them to ease your legs, lower back and hip muscles.. ahhh just thinking of it is getting me all relaxed.. hahah
 
I didn't realize I was having the pain at
My 8 week check up because I was still using the cane 99% of the time. I was only doing a few unaided shuffle steps.

After my appointment is when I tried walking unaided. I did a few laps in my house and the pain in the middle of my thigh was bad pain.
So I went back to the cane.
I tried a few laps the next morning and same pain.

I do understand the limp takes awhile to get rid of but at 8 weeks why am I having the middle of thigh pain?

I sent a message to my OS explaining everything and asking him if the pain was from stem loosening and he said

It’s possible, but highly unlikely.
he sais these symptoms are normal given the surgery was done 8 wks ago.....however if its still an issue at 16-20 wks we should take another xray..
 
Your surgeon’s response kind of leaves you without much of an answer aside from giving the pain you describe more time. Wondering if you’re still engaging in PT and if so, how that is going for you? Sadly, short of making a strong request for x-rays and labs if he feels it applies, time is your only option right now. Have you tried any short walks without the cane since you first posted about your thigh pain, or are you feeling too apprehensive to try doing so? I’m sure this is unsettling for you and for that you have my sympathy. Wishing you comfort and relief in all of this.
@Scared one
 
I also meant to type that I think CricketHip‘s idea of massage is a good one. I can’t see how a gentle massage as the Swedish she described could hurt and it may help?
 
A couple more thoughts…
You've made it no secret that you are fearful, panicked at times and even dealing with some regret as far as the surgery goes. These type of feelings will have us questioning every odd sensation or pain, often digging deep into the forum looking for reassurance. Please understand that the people that stick around often do so because they‘ve dealt with, or are dealing with an issue. The vast majority are back living life.

A suggestion that may be of great benefit to you is the OneStep program. You’ll see a link at the top of the page. Check it out and see if you feel it’s something you may be interested in. Wishing you peace.
@Scared one
 
I completely agree with everything that you have said. I am doing physical therapy
I am doing massage therapy

my concern is that the pain is a bad pain that keeps me physically from being able to walk and the pain starts immediately upon full weight-bearing

it’s not a sore muscle pain it feels like a bad pain

And the pain goes away as soon as I sit down or go back on the cane
 
@Scared one You said earlier that you have just started to try and walk without your cane. There will be some time during this transition that may be uncomfortable. What you need to do is build up your weight bearing time very slowly. Multiple laps around your house probably isn't a good idea in the beginning. Start with just a very short walk and slowly increase the distance. Muscles, tendons and soft tissues are complaining due to being asked to work again. Slow and steady!
 
@Scared one .... thinking about you today and wondering how you're doing. I understand how difficult recovery can be when you aren't given all the information up front so that you know what to expect. It may seem like you've been recovering for "ages," but at just a little over 2 months out, your body is still healing and working on normalizing again. Things should look much better for you in a couple more months. Your new hip will be able to do just about anything you want it to, so try and look forward to that. It will come. :console2:
 
9 weeks post op

I had X-rays taken yesterday which showed no loosening which is great. I am having on and off mid Thigh pain and my OS said it’s
End of stem pain. He said the prosthetic is tapered at the end on purpose because that’s where it meets up with my real bone and right now they are not getting along very well. :(

My OS said the pain I am feeling should get better every month but he can’t say how long it will take to go away all together. He said if the pain gets worse instead or better over the next few months he would do an MRI and labs.
 
It sounds like your surgeon is being very responsive to your concerns. That's good! It's highly likely that your pain will lessen with some time. Just make sure not to push yourself too hard with activity or exercise to the point where any discomfort you're feeling becomes real, serious pain. It's important to listen to your body. It's signals (like pain) should guide you with your gradual increases to both activity and exercise. Everyone is different, so don't try to compare your unique recovery with anyone else's. Your body is in charge of the healing process and it will do things on it's own time.
 
@Scared one I bet the saying "time heals all wounds" had a joint replacement!! But there's a lot of truth in that saying.
One day and one step at a time.. :console2:

Your surgeon sounds like a good one.. that's a real positive.
 
Hello there :wave:
We haven’t heard from you in a bit. How are you doing? I hope you’re enjoying the progress you’re making and getting more comfortable with all. Hopefully you had a nice Christmas and you’re anticipating a great 2022. :happydance:
Happy Monday! :)
@Scared one
 
Three months under your belt now. Hopefully you’re adjusting and feeling stronger and steadier on your feet month by month. Wishing you happiness, peace and good health in 2022. Happy Anniversary and Happy New Year!
@Scared one
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom