TKR 3-17 RTKR and Totally "On Course"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great report!!! It sounds like you'll be doing more golfing then....things are progressing well....including your ability to stay out of sand traps! :heehee:
 
@vinny What I did, if you are familiar with it, was pretty much go to a "stack and tilt" swing on the back nine except that swing theory has one keep the weight on the front foot throughout the swing. I started with probably 60/40 weight on the front and shifted it to my back leg some in the backswing before finishing 90/10.

@TexasTee With my right knee I started PT at the end of week 2 post-op, April 3, and had 20 sessions, basically two/week until my last session on June 12. I played my first round of golf with that right knee on May 23, the end of week 9, before ending PT a couple of weeks later. It was at the end of week 9 to the day that I played my first round after this left knee. Despite having ROM of 0/135 come much quicker this time I can tell that all of the strength, especially in the quad, has not returned. With the squats, leg presses, balance exercises and some step exercises that appears to be one of the focuses right now. All of the table exercises are just part of the startup routine to get things "loose".

@Celle @Jamie Thanks!
 
Hi @Phil75070 Just checking back around & it looks like you are doing great. Congrats on getting back to the golf course!! That pre op stuff that @vinny was talking about should be mandatory. I know they said I would recover a bit better because of my upper leg strength. Although having back surgery 2 months before the new knee put me a little out of shape. My knee is doing great & I am learning about trying to not over do. It is great to have something like golf to motivate you to stay in shape & get out there. I hope you have continued success.
 
@Phil75070 ....A typical round for me probably includes 4 experimental unintentional swings and I'm sure the stack and tilt is in there somewhere...I remember when they advertised it on the golf channel...bummed out today our match against the club ladies is postponed because of weather.....Golf was a big motivator for me to keep pushing...Curious like @TexasTee as to how long your PT goes on..I pretty much look at golf as a PT session as I do lunges going down the fairway and stand on one leg while waiting on the tee and do one legged dips and stuff..(OCD) Does your OS still have you on a program?

Vinny
 
@vinny Yes, I am still of a regimented program both in regard to outpatient PT as well as home exercises. I also feel that all of the walking I do on the course, especially going up and down slopes, is a form of exercise as well.

@ironman60 Good to hear that your knee is doing great. I am one week ahead of you with my right knee and I still have that tight, stiff felling, but it sure beats the pain I used to have and doesn't interfere with anything I want to do.
 
Hi Phil, I'm just visiting, I see you got your pivot knee done! Glad it's going so well so soon!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Phil75070 I was just whining today about how weak both my quadriceps are. I just caught up with your thread and what I read brings me comfort because I was feeling like such a slug, couch-potato, etc.....wondering how can I possibly think about strength training when I can't even pull myself off a low chair and stairs are still a challenge to me.
 
Another PT session where new exercises were added, three new ones to be exact. Nothing I couldn't handle, though! :loll:

I got measured at the end of the session and my November knee is 0 / 140. My March knee is actually behind my latest knee measuring only 137 but probably about a degree or slightly more hyper-extended when straight. The better news is that it looks like my two PT sessions next week will be my last! Hooray!
 
Just to put a cap on things, I had my last PT session on January 28. My PT said it was probably the easiest rehab/recovery he has ever dealt with from the first session on. At that time my flexion was 120. I did stairs one foot in front of the other, both up and down, the day I cam home from my first PT session. I was measured at 140 at the end of my last session with my "older" knee done last March just a degree or two less. Both can be perfectly straightened.

I have a follow up with my OS on March 17. In the meantime I am playing golf whenever the weather permits and going about any and all daily activities with only occasional stiffness or "achiness" if I truly overdo it. I continue to take a mix of Advil and Tylenol when needed but nothing on a regular schedule. Even though neither of my knees feel like what I would call "normal" at this point I will take what I have any day over the pain that I had in each prior to replacement.
 
Congratulations Phil...great report and happy to see you are back on the golf course...All the best to you and your continuing recovery..

Vinny
 
Terrific news, Phil! Glad you came back with such an excellent report.
 
Congratulations on your progress, Phil. That's a really encouraging report. :happydance::yay::yes!:
 
Great report, glad to hear you are doing so well, and are back to playing golf when the weather cooperates.
 
PhantasticPhil golfs again. Just stopped to see how it is going again. That is great news.
Glad you get to do what you love to do.
I feel good because my one & done knee is doing great. You are very fortunate to do it twice & come out with great results. Congrats!!!
 
@ironman60 Thanks! The knees still let me know that something was done to them! Although I can be doing things at times without a thought to my knees, I can't wait for the day, if it ever comes, when my knees feel "normal", that is no stiffness, achiness, painful twinges, etc.

You are doing well also! Stay warm. Having lived in the Chicago area for 20 years I know what you are going through in the Winter.
 
You are almost there @Phil75070 ....I have not had any aches or painful twinges lately but do have feelings of stiffness somedays which is something I can live with....an amazing procedure when done by the right surgeon..never dreamed it would feel this good.. Take care ....

Vinny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom