Guest viewing is limited

TKR 3-17 RTKR and Totally "On Course"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done @Phil75070 what a fantastic report. I'm in awe of you x you'll be back on that golf course before you know it. Please don't over do it x @DogLoverx3 is absolutely right about not over doing it as you don't want that setting you back and @TexasTee's encouragement and support is lovely too. You are well respected Phil and have a lot of support on here. Keep up the good work, we are all here for you.

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
Hey @Phil75070 had to stop by & see how number 2 is doing. Sounds like you are doing great.
You will be driving in no time. (That is a pun from a non golfer. Driving on the golf course & driving on the road)
Not as good as your jokes but the best I can do. Glad it is going well. Take Care!!!
 
My progress in regard to ROM continues to be positive. My PT measured my flexion at 126 last Thursday and today, while massaging my scar, estimated my bend at 130* or better. Unfortunately, as positive as ROM is I still have issues with pain / discomfort. With the right knee the pain seemed to be more muscular but with the left knee the pain and discomfort are very much centered around the knee itself. Weaning myself off narcotics and using Tylenol judiciously worked with the muscular pain but not so much with the pain around the knee this time. I may have to come up with a "cocktail" of some kind, maybe adding NSAIDs to the mix.

Oh, BTW, icing has never had the therapeutic affect for me that so many swear by.
 
@hopefaith Yes, I was trying to hold out until January but the knee got so bad that it made the decision for me. Happy to see that, overall, you are doing much better!
 
Sorry about the pain issues but the ROM is outstanding! Hope you find your magic mix soon! As to ice - I love it when I have swelling but if it's mostly pain and not swelling then I can actually find it unpleasant.
 
@referee54 golf is very frustrating as the ball is just sitting there, sometimes even on a tee, waiting to be hit. One would think that is easier to do than to try and react to and hit an object coming at you at 90mph+!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Hi Phil...sounds like you are doing great.....I had my bilateral on November 14 and was fortunate to be able to play Saturday and Sunday the 29th and 30th days post op....I had complete clearance from my OS and had been chipping and putting since week 2 ....I played much better than expected and took a cart with a handicap flag which my club allows you to drive up to your ball to minimize walking...What I found as a left handed golfer was that I flared my front foot(left) out which allowed me to restrict my backswing and finish my swing fully with a minimum of torque....It allowed me to be better balanced...prior to surgery my left leg bowed out and with bone on bone I was falling over so the new knees look like they will improve my game....I warm up thoroughly and stretch and do some easy squats and take nice easy swings.....playing today for the 4 time this week.....hope you hit it straight and not too often...almost forgot that I finally got rid of the suction cup on my putter as I was not able to bend over to take the ball out of the cup...another benefit of new knees.....:)
 
@vinny Wow! I'm impressed. Playing within 30 days of a BTKR - you can't beat that! Of course, you are in Bermuda and if I were in a place with comparable weather I probably would have been out on the course already as well! :snork:

I've been swinging a club in the house for a couple of weeks now and feel that I could easily go hit balls. Not sure about venturing out on the course at this point, however. Nice tip about flaring out the lead foot. I've never been so bad as to not be able to take the ball out of the cup but I can't remember how long it has been since I've been able to squat behind the ball to get a line on my putt! I am looking forward to being able to do that again.

Thanks for the encouragement and here's hoping the wind is always at your back!
 
The wind was in my face today Phil but had fun ..tomorrow is 5 weeks post op and played 4' rounds this week and even walked 9 holes and rode 9 holes today....I am over the moon just to be out there....never thought I would be able to be doing this so soon without a hint of discomfort ...I believe my OS has the entire protocol nailed down from 5 months pre op on.....
 
Interesting that you mention a protocol that includes "pre-op". I am reading more and more where post-operative ROM is very much dependent on pre-operative ROM and preparation for the surgery from a fitness standpoint.

Went for my, basically, six week checkup yesterday and my surgeon continues to be almost astounded at my recovery in the case of both knees. He was amazed that I did stairs at less than 3 weeks with this left one and couldn't be more pleased for me. He kiddingly said the quicker recovery of the recent left knee by comparison to the right one done in March is due to him having had "more practice". He said the only advice he can give me going forward at this point is just to not fall.

He asked me what difference I was seeing in recovery between the two and I told him that ROM, both extension and flexion, was much better with the left knee at this point than the right one was at the same point. Also, where the pain with the right knee seemed to be more muscular (quad, hamstring, calf) the pain or discomfort with the left knee seems more centered around the knee itself. This could all be the difference between correcting for being knock-kneed with the right knee and bow-legged with the left knee, and/or having to remove the PCL in the right knee and retaining it in the left knee.

Being a right-handed golfer and with the left leg being the one that I would end up with all of my weight on I was not anticipating getting back out to the course until March. I may have to adjust my thinking and start advancing that schedule ---- substantially! :happydance:
 
My OS pre op started about 5 months ahead of schedule and they meet with you and review what is expected of you and give you a brochure outlining my program including post op ...I met with one of his physio therapists who gave me a program to do pre op and post op.......they strongly suggested that I work on the lower body and triceps in particular to push out off chairs and off the toilet,etc....I took their advice and hired a trainer a couple of days a week who pushed me to the limit and reminded me of my Drill Instructor from 1968 except for the crawling in mud part and calling me names and telling me what they were going to do to any female I ever knew but I digress....I lost 50 pounds a year ago ....like you my OS refers to me as his wonder patient and says out of the 900 knees he has done I bounced back the quickest ever over those who single leg.....I tell him it is a team effort and he deserves the credit ...I just mentioned on my thread that If I had to stay where my knees are now I would be happy...I believe attitude plays a role in addition to the physical part and it sure seems like we are among the lucky ones...
As for golf I could not stand on one leg before the surgery and have no problem now and my balance is so much better that it does not seem like any pressure on my lead leg...like you I had February 1st on my calendar to start playing but he gave me the all clear so I am not looking back..What the weather like in McKinney now is it golf weather?
 
@vinny It is Winter in North Texas so one can't play golf everyday but there are some nice days to be had. Depends on how much cold and/or damp one is willing to put up with. Today's high is 48 but the forecast for the next week has highs anywhere from the low 50's to into the 60's before dropping back down into the 40's. Keep in mind those are highs. Playing in the morning it is quite a bit cooler as lows can drop into the 30's.
 
Yikes ..the all time low here was 44...it gets near 60 and they break out parkas and wooly mittens....when I lived in Pa we played all winter as long as the greens were not frozen.....I am officially a coward when it comes to cold weather....nice to see on TV but not in person
 
I played golf yesterday for the first time since my left knee was replaced. Being right-handed my left leg is the leg all of my weight ends up on with a proper swing. I did not play well the front nine and I think I was subconsciously favoring the knee and not getting all of my weight to my left side. On the back nine I made a change to correct that and played much better. I had no problems walking up and down slopes of any size, nor any problems getting out of sand traps (I said I didn't play well on the front - LOL).

The knee did not feel any different after the round than it did at the beginning and I don't seem to be "paying for it" today as it feels like it always does, a little stiff. In fact, my right knee is now about 10 months post-op and my left knee just short of 10 weeks but they both feel about the same. I don't know if that is a good thing for the left or a bad thing for the right! :chinstroke:

I still go to PT twice per week and have the routine down such that they just pile up the props I use next to the table and I do all of my table exercises then make the rounds of the equipment such as bike, leg press, balance board, etc., pretty much unsupervised. Maybe every few sessions they will add a new exercise for me to do. I actually look forward to PT.
 
YEAH for golf...lol at the sand traps but I am super excited to see you feeling so well at 10 weeks!! How long does your PT continue? I guess I've not paid close attention to when people finish but for some reason I thought it was only until they were functional - which you clearly are.

Well done sir!!
 
Well done on the golf course, Phil!

I'm so glad to hear that Knee Number Two is being a good boy.
 
Way to go Phil..it felt great to be out there didn't it? 9 weeks for me yesterday and today was the first time that I played without a thought to my knees...wonderful....I am left handed Phil and what helped me regarding weight on the forward foot(left for you) was to turn it out towards the target...it restricted my backswing a little but I put very little torque on my forward foot it that makes sense. They kicked me out of PT at 5 weeks or so but I still go to the gym 2 days a week and walk the golf course 4 times a week so that is enough PT for me....plus I do lunges walking up some fairways....these implants are amazing devices!!! It's warm enough in McKinney now right?

Vinny
 
Really enjoy Phil75070! Takes my mind off my knee (that hasn't even been touched by a surgeon yet!) Love your jokes and love skigirl's wonderful insight and encouragement! I feel blessed to have found this site! See the Primary care guy on Tues. Meanwhile, wincing, reading, learning!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom